Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Battery setup with Smartfly Super Reg ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Battery setup with Smartfly Super Reg ?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrritchey
I will say that as far as I know, an ECU is much less noisy than a gas engine ignition so RF is less of a concern. I guess the only concern here would be a shorted ECU which could then rob your receiver of power. In my opinion, its best to keep the radio redundant and separate from what ever the engine uses for power. That way you have a better chance of getting the plane down if something happens in your engine system.
Technically, that could happen with any servo just as easily (sometimes an overheated servo will fail closed and short out, going as far as to burn the cables that power it).
This issue could also be solved by using a properly sized fuse.

Please consider this more of an academic discussion than a practical one, I am just curious to find out what could cause such a setup to fail, without settling for the usual 'it's voodoo, don't do it' explanations I often get with issues such as this
Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it simple, run the rx batteries through the smart fly and a separate battery for ECU unregulated. If ECU battery has enough power to start the turbine it has plenty of power to do the flight.

IMO
Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcovish
Keep it simple, run the rx batteries through the smart fly and a separate battery for ECU unregulated. If ECU battery has enough power to start the turbine it has plenty of power to do the flight.

IMO
That's what I do, I am just curious to find out if the 2 batteries approach would be acceptable or not.
If I were to use a battery for everything, I should have to use 5:
2 for the rx
1 for the engine
1 for the retracts
1 for the brakes
I think that's overkill if the required voltages are all the same.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:22 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 2 2500 (6.6) 123's for the rx thru the super reg
1 2500 3S (9.9) 123 for ECU, smoke, retracts, brakes. The retracts and brakes use about 50 mah per flight. I use about 350-400 mah per flight on the ECU pack. Depending on smoke use, I charge after 3-4 flights

Last edited by bcovish; 06-08-2016 at 09:26 AM.