Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tony Nijhuis Vulcan bomber

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tony Nijhuis Vulcan bomber

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 12:39 AM
Dave Batchelor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi All,

Congratulations on the maiden flight John, what a lovely sight, bet you were chuffed with that!
Richard, looked great in the sky but a much flatter and slower approach will be the trick. This thing does fly incredibly slowly and after flaring, keep the nose as high as you can without climbing and the drag will slow it right down till it descends onto the runway. I have mine setup with full width elevons and both functions are under the watchful eye of an igyro3. I do not get any of that waggling about on approach as even at slow speed the gyro does its thing far faster than my brain can pick it up and move the stick! Good luck on the next flights but well done on getting her built in such a short space of time, I assume you did get SOME sleep?

cheers
Dave
Old 08-21-2020, 10:24 AM
johnshiell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dave,

Are you still flying yours? Do you know if John R fixed his?

Regards,

John
Old 08-22-2020, 12:27 AM
BashaBolla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dave
Clearly this is going to need a correct landing technique working out .
Currently I am looking at exploring high alpha approach from turn in to finals as opposed to the more traditional long and low .
I tried what I thought was a fairly "normal" long approach in the video although I turned in early and shortened it as it was pretty breezy . The thinking was that its draggy and it would slow in the headwind and wouldnt need so much of a long run in ....it didnt slow down !! . The headwind seemed to make it just float on more and more without really slowing - hence the first attempt and go around when I touched down way too fast as it was disappearing away from me at a great rate of knots ! . The second attempt was also long and lower and would probably have worked out if I hadnt released the back pressure too soon ..but still wasnt the high alpha approach that I am being told is the correct way to land this plane .
I have had 3 good landings with this plane ..all were long and low holding off all the time ..all required being really really careful with the holding off - way past the point where most planes would be happy to settle - and needed the throttle cut at just the right time on finals so that the final part of the hold off happened just in front of me where I could see the wheels and judge the kiss accurately . It may be easier on grass but most of my flying is on tarmac so I would much prefer to find a technique that does not require quite so much finesse. Hence the higher high alpha all the way down is the next "adventure "
Hope it works ..I am getting bored with fixing it !!
Have you been flying yours much lately ?
Richard
Old 08-22-2020, 10:54 PM
BashaBolla

3rd Landing of my Vulcan at Dishforth ....little wind but not much high alpha ! ( skid at the end was a result of a loose main leg that twisted when I put the brakes on ! )
Old 08-23-2020, 08:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Better, but you can still come off the power a little earlier
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 AM
johnshiell

Hi Richard,

That looked great. I suppose it's just building up the confidence / knowledge on the slow flying ability of the Vulcan.

Regards

John
Old 08-23-2020, 11:18 PM
BashaBolla

Hi all
Yep....just needs stick time I guess ...and the confidence to cut the power miles away and know it will get to you !! :-).
Its funny that in real life it looked to be really slow on touchdown ..but the video shows it was still travelling at a good rate ..so there is still lots of scope for slowing it a lot more !

Just reduced the nose leg length by 20mm and increased the main gear by 10mm......should give it a better chance of sticking on landing ( hopefully ) .
I will be changing it over to full width elevons this week as I do think that will help with control at really slow airspeeds......next Sundays forecast is looking good so hopefully that will be the next round of the Vulcan adventure ....gulp !

Look forward to hearing your successes

Richard
Old 09-07-2020, 10:27 AM
johnshiell

Hi,

Up to 8 flights on my Vulcan now. Still learning how to slow it up for landing.
Hoping to take the Vulcan to Buckminster at the end of September. Maybe I'll meet Dave and Richard?

Here is a link to an evening flight.

And a couple of pictures

Enjoyed reading your report in RCM&E this month Dave.

Regards,

John
The following users liked this post:
Daveeast (08-30-2021)
Old 09-07-2020, 11:11 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Gorgeous jet , congratulations
Old 09-08-2020, 09:39 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

very nice flight!
Old 09-12-2020, 02:31 AM
BashaBolla

A beauty !! ....flew mine again the weekend before last.....C of G slightly further back with more aileron movement...flew ( and landed !) beautifully....very long run in ( almost twice the length of John's run in in the video)..but it that was landing on tarmac !...touched down on the main gear at just over walking pace . Happy bunny !!

I want the 100 engine that is currently in the Vulcan for a Hawker Hunter I am just finishing so planning on putting a Wren 80 in the Vulcan instead..any thoughts ?

Richard