Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Unilight System

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Unilight System

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 01:09 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

And as a follow up, 2 years of abuse and my unilights are kickin butt!

Yes, every time I have to program the 8 channel controller, I have to relearn the process, but these lights are my favorites by far!
The following users liked this post:
madmodelman (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 12:56 PM
ole.foll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. i got the UniLight AFTERBURN-2-800 module but i dont understand how you program it propertly. . I use a unilight afterburner ring and when i plug in the battery 2cell lipo) it just light steady and low brightness. it does not change and do the flickering effect when i use the throttle stick. I tried to adjust the curve on the selected channel on the radio and so fort but the light doesnt change. No change when i switch modes on the module. Can anyone please help me? im stuck and need advice . thx

Last edited by ole.foll; 02-12-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:33 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Can anyone recommend some lights for me? I'm looking to outfit my T1, do I want 4w or 8w lights? I want 3 position lights, a landing light for the nose gear and a red beacon for the bottom, which do I need to get? The two position lights on the wings go behind some plastic lenses. Thx!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:09 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a few choices of “kits” here: https://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog...e+Lighting+Set

Pick the one you like or you can piece your own set together from individual components.

JS
Old 10-26-2020, 07:32 PM
camss69

I saw the kits at Dreamworks that's where I'm looking to order from, the kits won't really work for what I need to do. Like I mentioned I need to put the position lights behind the lenses and the kits come with the type that wouldn't work with that. So for a 2m jet would 8w or 4w lights be more appropriate or is it not that big of difference?
Old 10-27-2020, 12:37 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’ve got these installed on my T-1, they work great and I’m very happy how they turned out during daylight conditions outside at the field....

Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 AM
flyloose

Gives an idea on how the lights look. Video shot by Trevor who built the jet and installed the lights 👍

camss69 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:49 AM
jsnipes

A couple videos of my Havoc with Unilights ... very happy with them.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:53 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by camss69
I saw the kits at Dreamworks that's where I'm looking to order from, the kits won't really work for what I need to do. Like I mentioned I need to put the position lights behind the lenses and the kits come with the type that wouldn't work with that. So for a 2m jet would 8w or 4w lights be more appropriate or is it not that big of difference?

Nick, other than saying, look at the lights included in the kit and see if they will fit your application and if not, look at the stand alone lights and get the ones with the dimensions that fit.

Other than that (LOL!), I'd say get 8w, brighter is better!

On my ultrabandit, I bought a stock "sport jet" kit and used the 4 channel controller and have been more than happy with that set up. On other jets, I've usually pieced together lights and controllers (usually the 8 channel to program).
Old 10-27-2020, 08:27 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by flyloose
Gives an idea on how the lights look. Video shot by Trevor who built the jet and installed the lights 👍

https://youtu.be/WpZHWL6C8Wk
Thank you! That’s exactly the info I was looking for. On your wing tip lights did you put the stock plastic lens (the one’s that come with the plane) over them or did you leave them off for cooling? Can you run just the nav’s with the strobes off on the wingtip lights if you want to?

The light illuminating the logo on that Havoc looks awesome too!

Could you post an up-close pic of your wingtip lights how they are installed? Thanks!

Last edited by camss69; 10-27-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:29 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by ravill
Nick, other than saying, look at the lights included in the kit and see if they will fit your application and if not, look at the stand alone lights and get the ones with the dimensions that fit.

Other than that (LOL!), I'd say get 8w, brighter is better!

On my ultrabandit, I bought a stock "sport jet" kit and used the 4 channel controller and have been more than happy with that set up. On other jets, I've usually pieced together lights and controllers (usually the 8 channel to program).
You are partly to blame for this because I saw the lights on your plane! LOL! I agree I think 8w on everything... I really like flyloose setup so I’m probably going to use what he used.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:33 AM
flyloose

Thank you! That’s exactly the info I was looking for. On your wing tip lights did you put the stock plastic lens (the one’s that come with the plane) over them or did you leave them off for cooling? Can you run just the nav’s with the strobes off on the wingtip lights if you want to? The light illuminating the logo on your Havoc looks awesome too!

Could you post an up-close pic of your wingtip lights how they are installed? Thanks!
Yes I have the stock plastic lenses supplied with the jet. I think the strobes can be configured to be selectable... mine are setup on a 3 position switch.....lights off.....lights on.....lights on AND landing light on
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 AM
jsnipes

Pics of the light install ... Hope this helps.

I have the 8 ch controller and you can program it to do whatever you want. It take a little bit to figure the programming out but you can do quite a lot with it once you understand it.

The lights are one of my favorite features of the jet ... I went high end lights instead of a smoke system. Don’t regret it at all. Mine was pieced together...not a pre-packaged kit.

The lights have quite large heat sinks on them. The ones I have also have over temp protection.

Last edited by jsnipes; 10-27-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:31 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I just used the "Large Jet" set and added an extra red beacon on the bottom for my Havoc. Bear in mind, there is no real "mounting" method for these lights. You just cut a hole where you want them, fish your wires through and glue them in place. I used Goop so I could pry them out later if need be. The lenses are also just Gooped or silicone glued on. Not as nice as Jamie's but these photos give a little idea of how I did mine.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:41 AM
CraigG

Can you run just the nav’s with the strobes off on the wingtip lights if you want to?
Yes, there are a variety of lighting and flash sequence combinations that are selected from a chart in the manual. You assign a "servo" position value for each one. For example, I have my lights on a 3-position switch with Down = all lights OFF, Mid = Nav, strobes and beacons ON and UP adds the landing light for all lights ON. You just decide what lights you want on with each switch position and set up your TX accordingly. It's actually pretty easy.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:39 PM
ravill

This

This is the Jet Nick liked! My old Ultra Bandit got a refresh with the new lights as part of the upgrade.
camss69 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:27 PM
jsnipes

Honestly, the only problem that I have is that I like to fly just before dark and the landing lights are blinding they are so bright at that time of day. I like the brightness during daytime though. I’ve thought about putting a light diffuser on the landing lights but usually remember this when I’m on final with the blinding light in my eyes. LOL!
Old 10-30-2020, 01:35 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want Nav lights on the wings, red and green, and a beacon on the bottom. Just for daytime flying on some of my jets. If I buy the 4 channel controller with them, will that keep the strobe off if I want? I would like to just keep the red and green on constant without strobing. Would appreciate any help..

Link to the lights I am looking at:

https://www.dreamworksrc.com/11mm-du...x2-green-white
Old 10-30-2020, 03:02 PM
CraigG

Originally Posted by KFX450
I just want Nav lights on the wings, red and green, and a beacon on the bottom. Just for daytime flying on some of my jets. If I buy the 4 channel controller with them, will that keep the strobe off if I want? I would like to just keep the red and green on constant without strobing. Would appreciate any help..

Link to the lights I am looking at:

https://www.dreamworksrc.com/11mm-du...x2-green-white
Yes, you can do that. The way to keep the strobes off is to not connect the strobe wire to the controller. You will notice, it's a 3 wire connection to the unit you linked. One is a common, plugged into the 2-pin Nav connection on the controller, along with the Nav "hot" wire. You would normally, just use one pin/wire for the strobe connection. In your case, just don't attach the strobe wire. You may have to experiment to determine which wire is Nav and which is Strobe, but that's easy to do.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:26 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the two channel controller will work just fine for that
Old 10-30-2020, 04:30 PM
KFX450

Originally Posted by cbk07
I think the two channel controller will work just fine for that
So the 4 channel should be programmable for that correct?? Or I go the, find the strobe wire route. Which should not be too hard.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:56 PM
cbk07

If you don’t need both lights, maybe check out a single light like this

https://www.dreamworksrc.com/uniligh...ight-7mm-green

or https://www.dreamworksrc.com/uniligh...ght-11mm-green

But yes, otherwise just use the two wires needed for the light you want to use

Last edited by cbk07; 10-30-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:24 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by CraigG
Yes, you can do that. The way to keep the strobes off is to not connect the strobe wire to the controller. You will notice, it's a 3 wire connection to the unit you linked. One is a common, plugged into the 2-pin Nav connection on the controller, along with the Nav "hot" wire. You would normally, just use one pin/wire for the strobe connection. In your case, just don't attach the strobe wire. You may have to experiment to determine which wire is Nav and which is Strobe, but that's easy to do.
I have a remote switch I will install on the strobe wire for the wings then and will setup a logic switch in my transmitter to turn the strobes off and on then. I want the ability to switch them on and off independent of the nav lights.

i ordered all my stuff last night from Dreamworks. Looking forward to getting it installed!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:29 PM
KFX450

Originally Posted by cbk07
If you don’t need both lights, maybe check out a single light like this

https://www.dreamworksrc.com/uniligh...ight-7mm-green

or https://www.dreamworksrc.com/uniligh...ght-11mm-green

But yes, otherwise just use the two wires needed for the light you want to use
that second one is what I was looking for. So many of these things it gets mind scrambling. Thanks Craig
Old 10-30-2020, 05:52 PM
cbk07

Happy to help Erik. I agree, it gets confusing with so many to choose from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.