Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pilot Dolphin Review and Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pilot Dolphin Review and Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 AM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested to know what happened.....
Old 01-26-2017, 05:46 AM
authomassen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
I'd be interested to know what happened.....
I guess I ran out of skill ;-)

Overhead pass with headwind, with what I thought was enough speed. Not quite sure of the throttle setting. When I turned left after the pass it dropped the left wing, and went straight into a spin, and I did not have enough altitude to recover. Made 1/2 to 3/4 turn in the spin before impact nose first. The stall was sudden and rather violent.

My spotter and I was both really surprised that it stalled, but non of us have any real turbine experience, so I guess you can say over confidence is part of it all. We both have a lot of experience with high wing loading and difficult flying planes, so I thought we should be OK.

Just for the record, I´m not in the US or UK, so no special rules apply for flying turbine models where I live. No waiver needed etc.

I´m moving on, and considering alternatives. The wings are repairable with minimal effort, and everything behind the wing is OK. Electron struts (which by the way worked perfectly) survived, so did rest of the gear and electronics. I could get a second dolphin with the sport wing, and have both wing sets for the model. I have asked Tony if he will do the free wood thing, and I will also ask him for the price of a new fuse only.

I´ve read in this thread that several other dolphins also have stalled and crashed, so I´m not sure if this is the best modell to move on with. I do have an Ultra Flash on order, but I´d like something more trainer like before that. Considering the Xcalibur Plus, all my equipment from the Dolphin, minus the legs and wheels, will fit that one.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Kim Couturier

For what it's worth, I don't think you ran out of skill! My First Dophin rolled over and crashed on take off. If you read this thread in full, there are some mods that seem to help, as well as moving the CG forward with the " big" wing. I have a new one, with the modifications....we'll see this spring.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by authomassen
I guess I ran out of skill ;-)

Overhead pass with headwind, with what I thought was enough speed. Not quite sure of the throttle setting. When I turned left after the pass it dropped the left wing, and went straight into a spin, and I did not have enough altitude to recover. Made 1/2 to 3/4 turn in the spin before impact nose first. The stall was sudden and rather violent.

My spotter and I was both really surprised that it stalled, but non of us have any real turbine experience, so I guess you can say over confidence is part of it all. We both have a lot of experience with high wing loading and difficult flying planes, so I thought we should be OK.

Just for the record, I´m not in the US or UK, so no special rules apply for flying turbine models where I live. No waiver needed etc.

I´m moving on, and considering alternatives. The wings are repairable with minimal effort, and everything behind the wing is OK. Electron struts (which by the way worked perfectly) survived, so did rest of the gear and electronics. I could get a second dolphin with the sport wing, and have both wing sets for the model. I have asked Tony if he will do the free wood thing, and I will also ask him for the price of a new fuse only.

I´ve read in this thread that several other dolphins also have stalled and crashed, so I´m not sure if this is the best modell to move on with. I do have an Ultra Flash on order, but I´d like something more trainer like before that. Considering the Xcalibur Plus, all my equipment from the Dolphin, minus the legs and wheels, will fit that one.
Sorry for your loss.Hope you will be able to repair soon. just a question, where you flying with the large wing?

Regards,
Old 01-27-2017, 02:08 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As a Final consensus, which wing is giving the best results? yet having stil good slow flying characteristics for short runway operation?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 02:09 AM
authomassen

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
For what it's worth, I don't think you ran out of skill! My First Dophin rolled over and crashed on take off. If you read this thread in full, there are some mods that seem to help, as well as moving the CG forward with the " big" wing. I have a new one, with the modifications....we'll see this spring.
Thank you for your kind words :-) I had done the stab mod, and had the CG where recommended by Pilot-RC. It stalled like it was tail heavy, but in flight it felt nose heavy in turns and rolls, but tail heavy in elevator sensitivity. You could say it felt somewhat unbalanced. I could probably have figured that out with a bit out tweaking if I had not crashed it.

Originally Posted by extra 300
Sorry for your loss.Hope you will be able to repair soon. just a question, where you flying with the large wing?

Regards,
Thanks! Yes, it was the big wing version. It really is a lot of wing on that one. I am more used to flying models with thinner wings (pylon racers, hotlines etc) and I am thinking that the really fat airfoil with lots of drag slowed down faster than what I would have thought, causing the stall. I am not blaming the design, but after a crash like this one starts to think what contributed to me not being able to fly the model.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

The tail increase was what I did for the sport wing, really the trainer wing needs a big tail again...and more moment arm length...
This model is lightly loaded, but not naturally stable. Don't blame yourself too much, jets are different from props, not instant lift from a blast of prop wash, so when things get critical it happens suddenly.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 AM
authomassen

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The tail increase was what I did for the sport wing, really the trainer wing needs a big tail again...and more moment arm length...
This model is lightly loaded, but not naturally stable. Don't blame yourself too much, jets are different from props, not instant lift from a blast of prop wash, so when things get critical it happens suddenly.
Thank you for the encouragement, Dave!

I´m really not too worried, I will be flying jets this season. Sold my big prop planes, and I´m all inn on jets (and pylon racers and hotliners and giant scale sailplanes...). I´m working on a Mini Avanti with P20 now, and I have en Ultra Flash on order for the 140 that survived the Dolphin crash. I´m considering a Xcalibur or Xcalibur+ for something in between the Mini Avanti and the UF, but I´n not quite sure it is needed. 1st world problems, I guess :-)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been flying my Dolphin with the big wing for two years now, I have somewhere around 50 flights on it. Most of my landings have been easy on the gear but I've had a few landings that were hard on the main gear mounting area so I ordered a replacement wing set from Tony. I thought real hard about going with the sport wing instead of the trainer wing but I fly from a very short runway (300') so I decided to stick with the big wing. Anyway, the new wing set has a different flap/aileron config verses the original wing set. The flaps are smaller and the aileron does not go all the way to the wing tip, it's about 5 inches from the wing tip.
Has anyone flown this particular big wing set? If so, is there anything I need to know about it compared to the old big wing?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
n715tm
My Feedback: (16)

Anyone have a set of struts available? I bent mine today on landing. Any options for aftermarket struts out there? Thanks for the help
Old 04-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Kim Couturier

If you need struts, GJC viper struts are a perfect fit...and much nicer.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Kim Couturier

You need to balance it 1 inch forward from factory recommended with the big wing. CG is different....that's why mine went in....my new one is balanced 1 inch forward. We'll see in a few weeks.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:22 PM
n715tm
My Feedback: (16)

Kim,

Do you use a Xicoy Balancer? If so, can you post the CG numbers. Thank you
Old 10-20-2017, 03:20 PM
mkomsa

I have a new in box Dolphin 77.2" sport wing, charcoal/red for sale. $100 + $25 for shipping. CONUS sale only.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Kim Couturier

What's the catch? Why so cheap?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 PM
dmattmul

If anyone has not yet added servo screws to help secure the wing servo rails to the panel suggest you do. Mine were delaminating from the panel after a few flights. Both wings fly very well but I did move the CG forward to take care of any instabilities. Nice airframe !!