Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Fei Bao Jets “Dolphin S” build thread by RCISFUN

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Fei Bao Jets “Dolphin S” build thread by RCISFUN

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Lerch32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for the group. How did you guys run your air lines and servo leads forward of the wing tube hole in the wing?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:35 AM
sewergod
My Feedback: (15)

I have the electric gear, but tried to run servo leads forward of the spar. But did not find an opening, so all of my connections are aft of the spar.

Last edited by sewergod; 06-02-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:38 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Lerch32
Question for the group. How did you guys run your air lines and servo leads forward of the wing tube hole in the wing?
The short answer is I did not. I ran them behind the wing tube. I have seen pictures of what appears to be a early wing construction that appears slightly different then mine and a couple of others I have seen. I guess it would be possible however to reinforce the spar and make an access hole.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerch32
See page 11 of manual, everything is forward of the wing tube

Sine I built the airframe I have decided to get away from the DB-9 type of connector for the servo wiring between the wing and fuselage connection, I am switching to the flat latch connector made by AMP.

Here is a link to the manual
http://fbjets.com/manual/FB_Jets_Dolphin_S.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 11 of the manual.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2165490  
Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 AM
sewergod

Why are you changing to this connector? Problems?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 AM
RCISFUN

No problems... I decided that I wanted a positive latch on the connector.

With the current system if the wing backs away from the fuselage you can loose connection; although, on second though if the wing backs away from the fuselage I guess you have other issues!
The insertion distance on the DB connector is around 3.7 mm (.15") not a lot of margin.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Custmachr

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
See page 11 of manual, everything is forward of the wing tube

Sine I built the airframe I have decided to get away from the DB-9 type of connector for the servo wiring between the wing and fuselage connection, I am switching to the flat latch connector made by AMP.

Here is a link to the manual
http://fbjets.com/manual/FB_Jets_Dolphin_S.pdf

I can not be sure about the internal construction but the former in the manual is not the same as the former on my plane nor on sewergod's plane which I saw at FIF last week. Sewergod and I discussed having to put the servo, gear, and brake leads behind the tube because of no access in front. I suspect there has been a design or construction change since Rich built his. I also ran a camera into the wing and did not find any access further into the wing.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 PM
sewergod

What is the length of flat latch connector pins? It's true that if it slides out then you would have a greater problem. I've thought the same thing about the VGA connector coming loose after multiple connect/re-connections, but wouldn't that be true for the flat latch pins? It makes you think about any of these type connectors.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
sewergod

I would like to put lights on mine, as we spoke about at FIF. But I'll need to figure out routing though.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Custmachr

Originally Posted by sewergod
What is the length of flat latch connector pins? It's true that if it slides out then you would have a greater problem. I've thought the same thing about the VGA connector coming loose after multiple connect/re-connections, but wouldn't that be true for the flat latch pins? It makes you think about any of these type connectors.
Here is a link to the latching connectors I plan to use. I do not think they are the AMP connector that Rich mentioned. http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...nlpconnectors/ The AMP connectors that I assume Rich is referring to are sold by Ultimate Jets. I have some of these and they are heavy duty compared to the ones in the link above but they are too large.
Tim
Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 PM
RCISFUN

Here are the the connectors I am talking about which are the same as some of the dealers are selling, they are actually manufactured by AMP.
They can not pull out as the two mating shells are positively latched together

9 Pos AMP P/N 104257-8 (Latch Tab End)
9 Pos AMP P/N 103653-8

12 Pos AMP P/N 1-103653-1 (Latch Tab End)
12 Pos AMP P/N 1-104257-1

Socket AMP P/N 104479-9
Pins AMP P/N 5-104505-4

Last edited by RCISFUN; 06-03-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Custmachr

Here are the the connectors I am talking about which Dreamworks sells, they are actually manufactured by AMP.
They can not pull out as the two mating shells are positively latched together

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Ashlok-176
They appear to be the same as the ones from Hanson Hobbies. I thought the ones from Hanson hobbies were made by Molex however.
Tim
Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 PM
sewergod

the issue for me now is that I've got all of the servo leads soldered to the VGA connector. To many decisions...
Old 06-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Lerch32

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I have a new designed wing like it was mentioned above. I think I will try to created access to the front of the tube hole. This is import at to me because aft of the hole puts it right under the turbine and reduces accessibility. I believe when the prototype was made, there was access throughout the internal wing scruture. Does anyone have pics of an install behind the tube hole?
Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Lerch32

Btw, I will be using thunderbolt rc connectors in mine.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:33 AM
RCISFUN

the issue for me now is that I've got all of the servo leads soldered to the VGA connector. To many decisions...
THe DB-9 or DB-15 (VGA) connectors will work fine as long as you make sure they are fully seated when the wings are secured to the fuselage. i.e. if you are using the laser cut parts for the DB connectors and mounting both connectors rigidly. The Dolphin S keeps the wings together using screws in the outer portion of the spar so there should be no problem with the wing moving away from the root section joint at the fuselage.

The Dolphon L uses a hand nut at the root section, if you don't tighten the nut you can get some movement at the root.

If I recall I cut a small access port through the shear webs in the L.E. of the wing to route my servo and air lines, I will have to re-verify this weekend when I pull my wings out of storage
Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 AM
RCISFUN

As far as the AMP connectors

Here is a hint
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...words=104257-8

or
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....yword=104257-8

or
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-c...tml?p=10199040
Old 06-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Custmachr

Rich
i would be interested to know if the AMP connectors will interchange with the Ashlock connectors you had the link to on the Dreamworks page. The Ashlock connectors are a Molex product. I am not sure if the ones I have been using from Hanson Hobbies are manufactured by AMP or Molex but both appear to be very similar.
Tim
Old 06-03-2016, 11:16 AM
RCISFUN

Sorry Tim
I was just using the Dreamworks site as a reference.
I actually figured out the AMP part numbers from these

http://www.electrodynam.com/store/102.shtml
Old 06-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Custmachr

Sorry Tim
I was just using the Dreamworks site as a reference.
I actually figured out the AMP part numbers from these

http://www.electrodynam.com/store/102.shtml
Rich,
I am not really trying to be hard to get along with, but I am not really sure either way which connector DreamWorks is selling, but they are calling then Ashlok connectors which was a Molex product. Also if I can successfully attach the data sheets for the AMP (TE) connector you will see in the drawings that they have AMP on each half of the connector on the top surface. I checked several of the close up pictures on the DreamWorks page and none have this on them. AMP and Molex (see third Molex attachment) make .100 spaced connectors that look very similar. I do not know if they will work with each other however. The link you sent from electrodynam.com is possibly the AMP connector but I could not blow up the picture enough to be sure but it does appear to have something on the top surface that could be the AMP name.
Tim
[ATTACH]2165624[/IMG][ATTACH]2165625[/IMG][ATTACH]2165626[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Amp ENG_CD_103653_P2.pdf (96.4 KB, 12 views)
Amp ENG_CD_104257_F3.pdf (80.1 KB, 61 views)
Molex050579405_sd.pdf (145.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-03-2016, 02:49 PM
sewergod

These are the Sub-D connectors that I used. The pins are 6mm in length, gold pated and are 1.16 mm dia. with a 7.5amp rating. The links below also have a drawing for each connector.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...rds=163A11079X
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...rds=164A10029X
Old 06-03-2016, 05:35 PM
jsnipes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Frank, I didn't take the time to look, but is that 7.5A per pin or total? If per pin that is more than enough ... more than the servo wire can carry. As long as you are convinced it can not come disconnected and that they will engage every time without bending a pin, etc then you're good.

I love the idea of this "quick connect" approach, but for me its function over form when it comes to connections on jets. I use JR gold plated HD servo leads ONLY and put a safety clip on each connection. For the ones in the plane its the cheaper clips with tape around them just to be sure. Like these:
or these

For the ones like at the wing root where there will be frequent disconnections I use these so that its more convenient but still secure. These are from Ernst and are there are different part numbers for the different servo connector types ... Futaba, JR, etc.

Again, I love the approach you guys are taking. I've just never thought the risk/reward worthwhile for me.

Jamie

These are the Sub-D connectors that I used. The pins are 6mm in length, gold pated and are 1.16 mm dia. with a 7.5amp rating. The links below also have a drawing for each connector.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...rds=163A11079X
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...rds=164A10029X

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	664
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2165666   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	2165667   Click image for larger version

Name:	prnjrp_285.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	2165668  
Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 PM
RCISFUN

Originally Posted by Custmachr
Rich,
I am not really trying to be hard to get along with, but I am not really sure either way which connector DreamWorks is selling, but they are calling then Ashlok connectors which was a Molex product. Also if I can successfully attach the data sheets for the AMP (TE) connector you will see in the drawings that they have AMP on each half of the connector on the top surface. I checked several of the close up pictures on the DreamWorks page and none have this on them. AMP and Molex (see third Molex attachment) make .100 spaced connectors that look very similar. I do not know if they will work with each other however. The link you sent from electrodynam.com is possibly the AMP connector but I could not blow up the picture enough to be sure but it does appear to have something on the top surface that could be the AMP name.
Tim
[ATTACH]2165624[/IMG][ATTACH]2165625[/IMG][ATTACH]2165626[/IMG]
Tim,
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the Dreamworks connectors are manufactured by AMP, I was only trying to illustrate the latching type of flat connector and post the P/N that I found.
I have not purchased any of the Dreamworks connectors so I can not comment on them..
Old 06-08-2016, 02:27 AM
saillplane77

Default Wing Connections

I have electric gear (Lado) and brakes (Intairco) and using 2 MPX connectors works great. There is no way to plug them in incorrect as one is a male and the other a female. Sets are being sold with JR connectors on the opposite end. See pic.

Name:	FB Dolphin S Wing Leads.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	2166849  
Old 06-08-2016, 02:44 AM
RCISFUN

To answer the wire and air line routing question posted last week, on mine I ran the airlines 3/4 of the way betweeen the first two ribs and under the main spar tube, I made a small slot for the airlines to pass through into the LG bay, where they were then routed to the air cyliner.

The servo leads were routed in front of the main spar tube and continued until around the aileron bay location in the wing; I was able to takle a long reach drill bit and make a couple of holes for the two leads to pass through the balsa sheer webs / spar. The aileron lead was routed straing into the servo bay, the flap lead was routed back to the flap bay location.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.