Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

World's first: dual color touch screens on a transmitter.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

World's first: dual color touch screens on a transmitter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:41 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default World's first: dual color touch screens on a transmitter.

Hello all.
This is a development I have conducted on the BAT 60 and BAT 64.
The concept is to use a relatively inexpensive Samsung Galaxy S3 and configure it as a portable WIFI access point with FoxFi. Then connect to the BAT to the network via Wifi ( the BAT is the only radio on the market with proven wifi capability at this stage ) and enter the radio OS from the phone. You can then display any page of the menus and telemetry on the phone and access programming as well.

Picture 1 shows a typical flight mode. Home page on the bottom screen, telemetry page on the top screen.
Any telemetry configuration can be shown on any of the 2 screen. The touch capability is available on both screen.

Picture 2 shows a dual programming screen for throttle curve.
This is a very powerful mode, where one can adjust the trim curve of the function on one screen and seeing the effect on the complete servo curve on the other screen.
The servo curve can then be changed on the fly to your needs.
This is typically very effective on throttle curves as shown below:

I have laser 3D printed a specific mount for the S3. It puts the screen above the highest switch and gives full access to the rotating knob.
I have developed a similar process for military ground stations where the radio can be directly accessed from the station operator. But this is for a different type of use...

Last edited by olnico; 02-19-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On a nice sunny day I would not be able to see a thing on that cellphone.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
On a nice sunny day I would not be able to see a thing on that cellphone.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung devices in general are featuring some of the best screens on the market. I find this screen a lot better than my iPhone 5 in general ( I haven't tried the 6 yet ).

I use this phone all day long in bright Texas sunshine without any problem. The trick is to place an anti-reflection protective film on the screen ( I like Supershields: durable, effective and cheap ).

HOWEVER: on the pictures above this particular S3 was not fitted with any anti glare film. That is because I have been doing a campaign of test on these films. The BAT screen is the same dimension as the S3 screen. Very handy. So I am now using the best S3 protection for both screens.

By the way, the BAT screen is on par with the S3 in terms of readability now that firmware 6.03 allows to tweak the screen brightness.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM
bluescoobydoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are you going to look at the screens and fly at the same time?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
how are you going to look at the screens and fly at the same time?
The second screen can be replicated and sent into a Head Down Display integrated in sun glasses collimated at 20 yards.

This device will be ready end of April.