Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RED FLAG FL. Event...Anybody heard details

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RED FLAG FL. Event...Anybody heard details

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 AM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RED FLAG FL. Event...Anybody heard details

Sounds like Frank is doing it again..... I can appreciate the concept....Anybody heard any details ?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

From what I read on flying giants it seems like invite only so I gave up finding out info. The info is on the top page of giants and gives more info.

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-21-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also details on Franks website.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:08 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

From Franks site

[ATTACH]2075239[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RED FLAG NOVEMBER 2015.pdf (77.3 KB, 189 views)
Old 02-21-2015, 05:57 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Cant wait!!! Its going to be some serious fun!!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:51 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never flown in any serious competition events and was wondering when judging piloting skills at Red Flag or Top Gun or the Jet World Masters etc, is there any consideration given to the pilots with just a receiver in their plane as opposed to pilots with every electronic gadget on board to make the plane fly level ,or straight, or hold a heading?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jofunk. All of us good pilots don't need navaids!
steve
Old 02-23-2015, 05:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jofunk
I've never flown in any serious competition events and was wondering when judging piloting skills at Red Flag or Top Gun or the Jet World Masters etc, is there any consideration given to the pilots with just a receiver in their plane as opposed to pilots with every electronic gadget on board to make the plane fly level ,or straight, or hold a heading?
To level the playing field Frank allowed anyone to use a gyro, so you have the same opportunity as anyone using one to legally install one.

Thats the only consideration I know of.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

Fenderbean, he's whats on the facebook page

Exciting NEW event information from FTE ----
RED FLAG NOVEMBER 2015
Red Flag is, and will be, a lot of things but it may be easiest to explain some things it is “Not”, or “Will Not” be! For example, it is not for the timid, it is not for the procrastinator, it is not for the average guy and is not for “non-competitive” modelers.
RED FLAG is a new ALL JET event coming to Lakeland Florida’s Paradises Field this November. It will be a scored event, meaning a competition, with the emphasis on Aerobatics with a little attention on craftsmanship and appearance thrown in. It will be an invitational, but people who think they may be qualified may “ask” for a slot to compete. Or, pilots may be recommended by others. (We don’t know everybody in the World) There will be a purse, not enough to buy a new car, but enough for Bragging Rights. Nice Awards too.
Red Flag will have two classes, one for Pros and one for those who may not quite be there yet. The list of 10 maneuvers will be flown, from a list; some of them mandatory and a few will be pilot choice . Takeoffs will not be judged but landings will. Maximum planes in the air at one time? Probably 2. It will be a Thursday, Friday Saturday event with all awards given out at a Dinner Saturday night.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

All you guys thinking gyros fly they plane... They DONT!.

For example in Topgun 2013 I scored better without a gyro then I did in Topgun 2014 with the gyro. The time of day and the weather when you end up flying has a bigger effect then anything. Does this mean I should take the gyro out... hell no I enjoy flying my plane with the gyro much better and the real factor is weather and how you fly the plane!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think a gyro is the first step toward AS3X technology. If you listen to the people at Horizon they will tell you AS3X technology can take a plane that is difficult or even impossible to fly, because of bad flight characteristics or weather, and make it a dream to fly. I know that this stuff is not in every plane but I see it coming. Maybe I should ask my question when we see this technology everywhere. There are a lot of talented pilots out there and it just seems that their natural abilities will not stand out as things like AS3X become more common.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thats not true, the best pilots will always fly the best.

If anything, they level the playing field in varying weather conditions. Why should I be scored the same flying at 10AM with a 10 knot cross wind as someone flying late in the afternoon with a 2 knot breeze down the runway? Am I going to get a better score for a marginal flight in crappy weather than a good flight in perfect weather?