Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

No success with Henson/BVM UAT. What to use?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

No success with Henson/BVM UAT. What to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Calil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No success with Henson/BVM UAT. What to use?

I can't stop the flameouts in my T-Rex 700 with wren 44 turbine. I'm using the UAT on 45 degree. Haven't tried all up yet. I remove every bubble on it by shaking the model after starting the turbine up.

But somehow I still have flameouts eventually. I'm really not happy with the hensen/bvm UAT, what would you suggest I could use insteady? I was thinking about the ball FCT uat model OR a Hopper tank.

What woul you do?

THanks for any input! best regards, Calil

Last edited by Calil; 03-02-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A little more information would be helpful.
Are you sure your flameouts are cause by air bubbles?

Is the current UAT that you are using getting air in it when the engine is running?
If so, have you figured out how the air is getting into the UAT?
What type of system are you using to fill the tanks, and how are you sealing it once the tanks are full?

If the UAT is not getting air in it you could have a leak between the UAT and the pump inlet. The fuel nipple on the BVM UAT is rather small, and if you use the wrong size tubing on it air can get sucked in by the pump at that connection.

Pictures of your setup could help diagnose your problem.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Calil

Hello Kevin

Yes this is my setup. Saturday I was told that the FESTO shouldn't be use on vacuum systems then AFTER the flameout I replaced the festo valve for the jetcat fuel valve. I'm thinking in give the Hensen/BVM UAT a second chance and use another one I have here on the vertical position, behing the main tank (like the majority T-Rexes 700 with turbine use).

I know it's air bubbles because I saw a lot of bubble and a big bubble on the UAT. I flew a lot without the last flameout saturday. But I understand that even if bubbles come to the UAT it shouldn't allow bubbles to the fuel pump. It happened after a quick rudder turn arround.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24zeo0g.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	2078211   Click image for larger version

Name:	2119gmr.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	2078212  

Last edited by Calil; 03-02-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Try soft mounting the fuel pump...
Old 03-02-2015, 03:21 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you confirm the cap is completely tight?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the CAT units from dreamworks, and they are great.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Calil

Originally Posted by bri6672
Did you confirm the cap is completely tight?
Yes and also the valve was closed.

Originally Posted by raron455
I use the CAT units from dreamworks, and they are great.
I was thinking about one and about the ball from FCT, thanks for the reply. How many flights with succes without flameouts did you get already?

Last edited by Calil; 03-02-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Calil

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Try soft mounting the fuel pump...
It's on some soft adhesive tape but could you explain why that would help please?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Greg G
My Feedback: (5)

It may not be your problem, but the Ty raps holding the valve (and tubes) do not look good to me. If they are tight enough they may cause the tubes to change their round shape and not seal correctly in the Festo fitting.

Name:	Capturet.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2078214  
Old 03-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The feed line to the pump looks like it's 4mm tubing. That style uat cap is typically set up for 6mm like you have on your fill line. How did you get the 4mm line to fit the cap nipple?? Is the uat filling up with air or just sucking air into the pump feed line?? I don't like the festos on the fill line either.
Vin...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Calil

Originally Posted by Greg G
It may not be your problem, but the Ty raps holding the valve (and tubes) do not look good to me. If they are tight enough they may cause the tubes to change their round shape and not seal correctly in the Festo fitting.
That's actually makes a lot of sense!! Never tought about it

Originally Posted by Vincent
The feed line to the pump looks like it's 4mm tubing. That style uat cap is typically set up for 6mm like you have on your fill line. How did you get the 4mm line to fit the cap nipple?? Is the uat filling up with air or just sucking air into the pump feed line?? I don't like the festos on the fill line either.
Vin...
Hello Vin this is how I fit it:
Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Tygon into a Festo is asking for trouble. Tygon is too soft and won't seal well against the o-ring inside a Festo. I suggest that you get rid of the Festos on the fill line and just use a fuel dot to plug the fill line.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Calil

Originally Posted by joeflyer
Tygon into a Festo is asking for trouble. Tygon is too soft and won't seal well against the o-ring inside a Festo. I suggest that you get rid of the Festos on the fill line and just use a fuel dot to plug the fill line.
Hello Joe

It's not Tygon, it's polyurethane. It's just yeallow after some use
Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by joeflyer

+1 on taking the Festos out of the fill line - completely.

Also, take the cap off of the UAT, clean off the old Teflon tape, and retape and screw the cap back on TIGHT!

Bob
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obvious question but the UAT appears to be empty. Is that just a photo after you've worked on the model or do you drain the UAT after use?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 with Bob.
You need to remove the old teflon tape and put new one.
ALSO! the Hanson UAT is not the same as the BVM UAT. It has in-line porous element that is placed inside the bag and filters the fuel.
Check that here:
http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/f...considerations

This is adding a lot of suction drag upstream the pump. However, the flow should not be that high with your Wren.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 AM
Calil

Mine is the BVM UAT. I already put more teflon before I used it, it was brand new but I reinforced the teflon. I removed the festos and the cap end for this:

Since I can't find a ball-cock valve for 6 mm I put this 4mm Jetcat valve on it. If you guys know where can I find a 6 mm valve please give me the link here.

The UAT is empty because it's another one that I'll try in the weekend and when I toke the pictures it was empty. It's full now. I always let it with kero inside to avoid bubbles on the pickup bag

Name:	bfgtw8.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2078313  
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by Greg G
That looks like the problem to me also.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Vincent

Is the uat filling up with air or the pump feed line letting air in??
Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Calil

The UAT at the end of flight show some air bubble (arround 1 centimeter diameter) even with no manouvers, just hover. And when I start up the turbine I shake the helicopter and some bubbles goes to the fuel feed line.

I will try my another UAT. Both are BVM not hanson. I'll let you know now without the festos.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Vincent

The bag type uat needs to be purged and can trap air. Fill it, let the fuel soak in then run the motor while shaking your heli until no more bubbles come out. After that is done do not empty the uat unless its absolutely necessary.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Calil

Originally Posted by Vincent
The bag type uat needs to be purged and can trap air. Fill it, let the fuel soak in then run the motor while shaking your heli until no more bubbles come out. After that is done do not empty the uat unless its absolutely necessary.
I do that, It was full with kero for months (I fly every weekend), never let it dry. But everytime I fill with kero I had to to that, every single flight, and always there was bubbles going to the pump. Then it stops, I fly without issue (until saturday) and then again and again. It does not seens right to me have to shake the helicopter before every single flight. I'm redoing all the fuel line.

Last edited by Calil; 03-03-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:55 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ditto what Vincent said. That being said, festos should not be a problem, but using tygon with festos is. Stick to the clear standard size tubing for that (4mm, 6mm).

I wasted two good airframes, and 4+ UAT's trying to figure out an air leak problem. Turns out it was a pump nipple that was loose. Some manufacturers opt for the high quality barbed fittings that are a royal pain to disconnect, and sometimes it leads to the fitting separating from the pump wihtout you being aware. The fix is easy, you just CA it back into place. I had to setup a bench run to see where the bubbles where coming out of, until it was clear where the problem was.

Check your pump. An air leak at the pump will lead to a loss of power and eventually airframe. Some bubbles here and there from the UAT or tanks should not be a problem, the engine can take them. My UAT always has air in it, and it doesnt create any issues.

Do a bench test if you have to. Just dont risk your airframe. You are guaranteed to lose it if you dont get this right.

David

In addition, use the largest diameter tubing you can all the way up to the pump, AND ON THE VENTS!!!. This reduces load on the suction side, and negative pressure on the UAT.

Last edited by FalconWings; 03-03-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:59 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Calil
I do that, It was full with kero for months (I fly every weekend), never let it dry. But everytime I fill with kero I had to to that, every single flight, and always there was bubbles going to the pump. Then it stops, I fly without issue (until saturday) and then again and again. It does not seens right to me have to shake the helicopter before every single flight. I'm redoing all the fuel line.
Always a good option!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhklenke
+1 on taking the Festos out of the fill line - completely.

Also, take the cap off of the UAT, clean off the old Teflon tape, and retape and screw the cap back on TIGHT!

Bob
I think what Bob and Joeflyer are saying is this. Don't use any type of shut off at all on the fill line to your UAT. Just use a 6mm line to the fill nipple and something to plug the line. I have never used a Festo fitting on the suction side, only on the pressure side......

Larry/Instructor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.