Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powermax gone!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powermax gone!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powermax gone!!

I know this is old news to most. I have been living on a surplus of Powermax for a while. Now that it is gone, what gas and valve should I use that would replace Powermax?

I have been using the trigger with an on board tank in my bird ( RS Jakadofsky),....so will I need to change any parameters on my turbine by switching to another brand of fuel?

Also what regulator/ valve do I use and does it have to be modified for rc i.e. attached barb fitting for 3mm fuel line?

Thanks,
Billy
Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 PM
cbdane

Billy, contact me. I have 5+ bottles of the silver can PowerMax and nothing but kero-start turbines. Yes, I overstocked years ago when it first seemed like it might be discontinued.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Billy

The problem though, is that the O ring doesn't last. I had many bottles that simply wouldn't hold pressure once the trigger was inserted.

I do appreciate the offer, but sooner or later I'm gonna have to switch brands

Thx
Billy
Old 03-11-2015, 02:23 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy
I know this is old news to most. I have been living on a surplus of Powermax for a while. Now that it is gone, what gas and valve should I use that would replace Powermax?

I have been using the trigger with an on board tank in my bird ( RS Jakadofsky),....so will I need to change any parameters on my turbine by switching to another brand of fuel?

Also what regulator/ valve do I use and does it have to be modified for rc i.e. attached barb fitting for 3mm fuel line?

Thanks,
Billy

I use Jetboil fuel that I get at REI. Its the same Butane/Propane mix as Powermax, so you don't need a regulator or to change any ECU settings. The trick is getting it out of the can - the fitting is different. I think that this one from Altecare RC will work - you'll need a valve as this one doesn't have one built in. I bought one from them a few years ago that did have a valve built in, but I can't find it on their website any more...

http://www.altecare.com/airpropanetankvalve.JPG

http://www.altecare.com/behotecaccessories.htm

Bob
Old 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Billy,

Here's what I use:

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...alve-Regulated

Then buy the cheap Coleman propane in the green bottles from almost anywhere @ $3-$4 which seem to last forever.

Take the propane tank and solenoid out of the jet. You don't need them and thus become spares. Hook up the line from the bottle to the check valve festo for starting and disconnect when running. I usually extend the line from the check valve and use a quick disconnect for the line from the bottle.

You don't need to change any settings because you aren't using them. Just let the engine spin up and while spinning down turn on the propane. A click or two of "on" is usually enough but each engine is different. Turn it off and disconnect when then engine is about 3/4th up to idle.

I don't know what will fit your trigger valve, but a lot of the sporting goods stores have Campingaz or other mixes that may be in a bottle that fits.

Rick
Old 03-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Billy

Are you talking about this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2080711  
Old 03-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Call Tom Cook at Jet Model Products and purchase a valve for the Coleman Fuel cans (Green canister). Open the valve about 2 turns when your turbine begins to ramp up....problem solved. Every Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy Sports, etc. sell the Coleman Canisters.

Richard
Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, I bought over 20 cans of Powermax, when they where starting to run short, I converted several cans to empty green bottles, when they where saying the cans where prone to leaking.
I have only one gas start turbine left, so if someone wants real Powermax fuel that will not leak, $5 can, I have 9, will sell lot only, will bring to FIF, or Kentucky.
Also, the reason, Powermax is better for turbines, is the nature of the mix, it has lower pressure, which starts better, and is less likely to blow fittings apart from the heat, compared to Propane gas.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	2080713  

Last edited by rcpete347; 03-11-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Billy,

I do what Bob talks about. The altecare valve. You can use jetboil, msr, etc. They are all the same. Just have to flip the can over to fill. Sport Chalet has all the brands. Propane/isobutane mix.

I am going off board as Rick describes on my new plane to save a couple ounces
Old 03-12-2015, 05:26 AM
rhklenke

Are you talking about this one?
Yes, that's the one! I bought two when they had them so I have a spare, glad I did. Did you find a source for those, or was that picture posted on RCU awhile back?

If you get a valve that fits those types of cans, you shouldn't have a problem as camping guys love the butane/propane mix - the cans are lighter and it heats stuff up faster than Propane. I think that their interest will keep these fuels around for some time.

Bob
Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Billy

Crazy thing! I found that pic on the internet ., However, was going thru a box of old rc stuff looking for something else and came across one attached to an on board tank I must have had in the past.

I will double check it works on the Jetboil tank, but the threads do look similar.

I might even change the set up on my bird to not have a tank on board. As Matt and Rick mention,
Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM
rhklenke

Crazy thing! I found that pic on the internet ., However, was going thru a box of old rc stuff looking for something else and came across one attached to an on board tank I must have had in the past.

I will double check it works on the Jetboil tank, but the threads do look similar.

I might even change the set up on my bird to not have a tank on board. As Matt and Rick mention,
Yes, we have gone off-board too. We found that the on-board tanks generally waste fuel as you usually have a lot left over at the end of the day that you just dump, but also, they are a fire hazard in that the fittings can pop off and then you have a jet filled with flammable gas. We almost lost our Eurosport a few years ago when that happened, and poof, instant blow torch inside the airplane...

After you start the engine, you are done with the gas, so why have it on-board?

Bob