Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

gear cycling on it's own

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

gear cycling on it's own

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:28 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gear cycling on it's own

I have had strange thing happen after using my gsf-150 now for several months. My gear is cycling up and down on it's own during my flight. I finally put the gear down for fear of losing all my air. On the ground I still had 95 lbs of air left.

I am using a Jetronics valve for gear and my transmitter for the sequencer (Jeti).

I think it can only be one of two culprits. the Jetronics valve or the gsf-150.

Anyone had a problem like this? With all the talk about the gsf-150 problem I am highly suspicious of it.

Stan
Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 AM
bluescoobydoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only one thing to do in in cases like this to start removing the parts that might be at fault i would try a jet tronic sequencer first and get away from using the transmitter as a sequencer.
Then fly again and try it.
Will it happen on the ground?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:54 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
Only one thing to do in in cases like this to start removing the parts that might be at fault i would try a jet tronic sequencer first and get away from using the transmitter as a sequencer.
Then fly again and try it.
Will it happen on the ground?
I did put the airplane on a stand and with the receiver and transmitter on for 10 minutes could not duplicate the problem. The gear would cycle normally. This leaves the possibility of vibration.

I did the normal shaking and tapping to try and duplicate the problem. I couldn't duplicate the problem.

I will be putting a spare Jetronics valve to replace the one in the plane. If that does not work I will bi pass the gsf-150.

Just wondering iif anyone else has had a similar problem.

Stan
Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 AM
bluescoobydoo

Not seen it before ever, if vibration is the problem good job it is the gear channel and not the elevator as you would never know what caused the crash.
It might just be a loose connection, when you first switch on does the gear cycle?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
Not seen it before ever, if vibration is the problem good job it is the gear channel and not the elevator as you would never know what caused the crash.
It might just be a loose connection, when you first switch on does the gear cycle?
No the gear does not cycle. Loose connection is always a possibility.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 AM
bluescoobydoo

i think I would try the jetronic sequencer first to eliminate the possibility of a compatibility issue and if it did fix it I would leave it that way as one of the components is not happy about working together
Old 03-22-2015, 01:19 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Where is your gear set for failsafe? Could the radio be going in and out of failsafe?
Old 03-22-2015, 02:04 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Where is your gear set for failsafe? Could the radio be going in and out of failsafe?
The gear is set in the hold position in my transmitter.

Fail safe in the plane is set at 40 lbs. When I landed there was still 95 lbs.

The gear cycled once on its own down and back up. At that point I put the gear in the down position for fear at the time of losing all air pressure.

I have read in the past where the gsf-150 Dreamworks fail safe was giving some problems, but not with the Jetronics valve I am using, but you never know.

That's why I am asking if anyone with a similar setup has had a similar problem.

I will probably disconnect the failsafe and see if that fixes the problem. If not I will change out the Jetronics valve.

Not much more I can do, Don't want to have a gear up landing
Old 03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You might have a faulty servo that operates the retract valve.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by flycatch
You might have a faulty servo that operates the retract valve.
The gear valve is a Jetronics electronic valve. there is no servo involved.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:33 AM
In the Haze

Go to dreamworks site and download the Word document GSF-150_Addendum. Will sort out your problem.

Sorry having no luck trying to upload the document here.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:37 AM
In the Haze

Ok I just copied and pasted hope it helps.
We have discovered two small bugs in our GSF-150 Failsafe device, neither of which affect the unit’s performance but can cause some programming headaches. We are addressing these bugs internally however; I did want to point them out as it will eliminate any frustration during the programming procedure. We have also had some confusion on the GSF-150 plug orientation. The signal wire (Orange if JR, White if Futaba, Yellow of Hitec) should be facing up when plugging the lead into the GSF-150 RX Input/Outputs.
When programming the Gear Up / Gear Down points into GSF-150, the pulse width from the RX is displayed on the screen. The typical pulse width from the RX ranges from 1000us to 2000us (varies depending on channel ATV setting). You must program the GSF-150 so the Gear Down pulse width is the low side and Gear Up pulse width is the high side. If this programming method places the switch in the opposite position desired, simply reverse the gear channel in the TX.
We have discovered an anomaly when using the GSF-150 with a Jettronic Sequencer. When the GSF-150 is in line with the Jettronic sequencing unit, we have found in some programming instances, an un-commanded quick cycle of the gear is exhibited. If using the GSF-150 with a Jettronic sequencer please follow the procedure below for programming compatibility:
· In the transmitter, reduce gear channel ATV/end point setting to 40% in both gear up and gear down positions
· Plug in the GSF-150 to the gear output channel of the RX and program Gear down / Gear up trigger points as per GSF-150 instructions making sure "Gear Down" is low pulse width and "Gear Up" is high pulse width. Cycle through until programming is completed.
· Unplug the GSF-150 from the RX
· In the transmitter, increase gear channel ATV/end point setting to 140% in both gear up and gear down positions
· Plug the Jettronics sequencer into the RX gear channel
· Set coding switch to SP, with gear switch in down position press (-) button, move switch to gear up position and press (+) button.
· Return sequencer coding switch to desired mode (1-2-3)
· In the transmitter, return gear channel ATV/end point setting to 100% in both gear up and gear down positions
· Connect GSF-150 to RX gear channel
· Connect Sequencer to GSF-150 output (A1-A2)
· Program sequencer timing as needed. (make sure system pressure is above failsafe setting for gear to cycle via TX)
Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I once had a similar problem with my speed brakes... Because I'm use futaba 2.4 fasst the (high sample rate) would cause erratic behavior if it's the electronic unit or servo is not 2.4 compatible... sometime putting a match box in series will fix the problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 AM
tucson

Hi In The Haze,

I had not seen this fix only the original which did not talk about the sequencer.

The sequencer I am using does not plug into the gsf-150, it is in the transmitter.

I have had over 40 flights on my plane without seeing this problem, it just happened.

This could very well be the problem. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Might be easier to just get another brand of sequencer. I am using a tams in another airplane without any problems so far, but that plane does not use a sequencer.

Again Thanks,

Stan
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The tams works great and I have used the robart fail safe with no problems too.
Vin...
Old 03-23-2015, 05:57 AM
In the Haze

Yes I changed to a Tams after I had exactly the same problem with a new GSF-150 and the Jet-tronics sequencer in a Mirage 2000. I only was advised of this fix after I had changed so have not bothered to change back as the Tams works fine so I cannot say this fix actually works, only what Todd advised me.

I am running 2 x GSF-150's in a Sia Marchettii and BD-5 with no sequencers and they are fine.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by In the Haze
Yes I changed to a Tams after I had exactly the same problem with a new GSF-150 and the Jet-tronics sequencer in a Mirage 2000. I only was advised of this fix after I had changed so have not bothered to change back as the Tams works fine so I cannot say this fix actually works, only what Todd advised me.

I am running 2 x GSF-150's in a Sia Marchettii and BD-5 with no sequencers and they are fine.
Sounds like we both have the same problem. However mine is using the sequencer built into my Jeti transmitter. This causes another problem in fixing it.

I am going to bi-pass the GSF-150 and see what happens.

Stan
Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tucson
Sounds like we both have the same problem. However mine is using the sequencer built into my Jeti transmitter. This causes another problem in fixing it.

I am going to bi-pass the GSF-150 and see what happens.

Stan
What I've done with my Jeti is instead of a stand alone gear fail-safe, is add one of their air pressure telemetry sensors to my jets. This allows me to set an alarm when the gear pressure gets low enough to be concerned about and slow down in case I've been flying full throttle, etc, before dropping the gear. I set the alarm as about 60 PSI. If I don't notice the alarm or don't respond, I also have a telemetry control that if the air pressure drops to 50PSI, it trigger the gear sequencer, opens the doors and drops the gear. I also set up a logic switch that prevents the gear from being retracted if the air pressure isn't sufficient to permit it to cycle back down again.

Wayne
Old 03-24-2015, 04:16 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by wfield0455
What I've done with my Jeti is instead of a stand alone gear fail-safe, is add one of their air pressure telemetry sensors to my jets. This allows me to set an alarm when the gear pressure gets low enough to be concerned about and slow down in case I've been flying full throttle, etc, before dropping the gear. I set the alarm as about 60 PSI. If I don't notice the alarm or don't respond, I also have a telemetry control that if the air pressure drops to 50PSI, it trigger the gear sequencer, opens the doors and drops the gear. I also set up a logic switch that prevents the gear from being retracted if the air pressure isn't sufficient to permit it to cycle back down again.

Wayne
Thanks for the info Wayne. Sounds like the thing to do. I will look into it.

I did have 4 flights today after I re-programmed the fail safe last night.

It worked fine, no problems today.

Stan