Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KingTech Works On Sunday!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingTech Works On Sunday!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default KingTech Works On Sunday!!

Well, I have a Turbinator that hasn't been flown since FJ 2014. I shipped it out to AZ last week where I frequently work to have something to fly when I'm town or near the west coast. It arrived late Fri., and we took it out Sun. morning for a shakedown. The K-100 fired right up even without a prime after sitting for so long. The flight was uneventful, so fuel up and get ready for #2. On the next start, I noticed the EGT reading went from ambient to 0ºC whenever the starter engaged. As soon as it disengaged, the reading would come back. Of course the engine would not proceed past Ignition without an EGT reading.

After a quick check of all connections and another attempt to start with the same results, I placed a call to Dirk at KT service. After my explanation, he said it was most likely a grounded thermocouple. He graciously offered to fix it that day if I was willing to drive to bring it to him. Instead of sitting in my hotel room doing nothing, I decided to make the 3.5+ hour drive (one way) and go see Dirk. Not only did he answer his phone and agree to fix my engine on a Sun., he bought me lunch as well!!

Since I have an early K-100 (S/N 52), he also upgraded the RPM board and fuel valves. After the repair, we ran the engine in their brand new test cell, and all proved perfect!

Tonight we were able to put the Turbinator and K-100 through a few laps. It won't be another year before it flies again!

Thanks again Dirk!!

Here are couple of the laps.
http://vid615.photobucket.com/albums/tt239/jetpilot2/Turbinator_zpsnfy14vwh.mp4
Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 AM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty impressive service!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

It gets no better then Dirk! He is great with these engines
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

George,

It's always a good time to hang out and shoot the s*** with you, and as for the 3.5 hr drive??? I think you attached a K210 to the bumper of that rental car, as you made it in 2.5hrs!! Without the support from Barry helping me with the shop, having my test cell built and the KingTech Factory keeping me supplied with parts, I would not be able to give the level of service we strive for!! Awesome video, but didn't Schulman already stress test that plane??? LOL

See ya soon,

Dirk
Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flejter1
George,

It's always a good time to hang out and shoot the s*** with you, and as for the 3.5 hr drive??? I think you attached a K210 to the bumper of that rental car, as you made it in 2.5hrs!! Without the support from Barry helping me with the shop, having my test cell built and the KingTech Factory keeping me supplied with parts, I would not be able to give the level of service we strive for!! Awesome video, but didn't Schulman already stress test that plane??? LOL

See ya soon,

Dirk
Yes of course, thank you to Barry and the KT factory as well!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries, what ever it takes! But the lunch is almost over and beyond isn't it, but then again, Dirk buys me lunch sometimes too!
Glad it all worked out for you boys!

Barry
Old 03-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Of course they do. I got first-class hospitality at Dirk's while he and Barry trouble-shot my engine. When they weren't 100% sure of a component, they swapped it for a brand new one and then tested that one out on my setup, too. Engine's been running strong and true since.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM
BILLYDSRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirk knows his S__t
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great guys to work with! Doesn't get much better!!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a similar problem with my K 170 a few years ago. It wound up that a screw backed out under the board where everything plugs in. When the starter engaged the screw vibrated making contact with the bottom of the board. I was getting all kinds of goofy readings. It was frustrating at first but wound up being a super easy fix.