Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR DMSS, 28X, X-BUS help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR DMSS, 28X, X-BUS help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JR DMSS, 28X, X-BUS help

I didn't want to clutter the other 28X thread. I've been looking around for a few days and I'm still not really sure how one of these systems goes together. I currently use a 12X and have loved it. I had some real problems with my 10X using a 2.4 module (meaning I lost 2 airplanes) but the 12X has been solid. I just got a Yellow F-22 and possibly need a new system for it. I can use my 12X and a Spektrum 12120 and not need a matchbox or Y-connector.

What I don't understand is how a system for the F-22 would go together. I have thr, ail (2 servos), ele (2 servos), rud (2 servos), flap (2 servos), gear and brakes. The 12 channel Rx would allow all of this no problem. How would a JR system work? One 8 ch Rx with some kind of bus system for the like channels? Two 8 ch Rx for all of them? I have all of the servos in the plane and they're all 8611's and 2 8711's on the elevators so I don't want to buy new servos. I've looked at dozens of web sites and videos (even some in Japanese, which I don't understand but I figured I might pick up something) but I still don't fundamentally understand how it fits together. This in and of itself gives me pause, why is it so hard to piece together?

I love my 12X but I do love using the "best" systems, I just like having them....kinda like baseball cards. I might even be willing to use the 28X on the F-22 and my 12X on everything else. Since I got the 12X everything Spektrum has been solid and have enjoyed setting it up. Some expert advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Bob

You can use the 1131B std PWM Rx just like you would with your 12.
Or you can use an X-Bus rx plugged into a converter Xport Duo which will give 14 PWM (std) channels out from one or two X-Bus Rx's
Or use an X-Bus Rx (7ch) and X-Bus hubs that will allow you to use the PWM channels on the Rx AND say 4 X bus controlled channels with std PWM. Depends in voltages you are using

Dave
Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 AM
spike5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all - I am no expert, but I have been playing with this stuff for a while and just got my 28X a couple weeks ago.

This graphic was done by skunkwerkz for his F-14 build - it gives a good conceptual view of how some of the components fit together.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...7&d=1422931840

If you have need of high current setup, then the XB1-CHB is the way to go. You can get Heavy Duty (HD) converters that you can plug into the hub and will be compatible with your existing servos (i.e. xb1-pc4). This allows you to run bigger power cables until you get near the servos then split the signal and power down to servo wire connection.

If you want redundant Rx, that is where the XB2-CHB comes in. it allows for two Rx to be connected.

As Dave stated, the xport duo basically lets you use any xbus compatible rx and output 14 PWM channels (compatible with any servos) and you can also add xbus output adapters to add more channels.

With xbus, you can have up to four servos on each channel (via channel sub ID), with independent adjustment of subtrim, etc. so for example on flaps, if you chose to use CH6, you would program an adapter for one output to be CH6-1 and another one to be CH6-2 (basically like a built in match box I guess). Or if you used the new NX servos, you program the servo to the channel and sub ID you want it to be. It doesn't matter where you plug it in to the system if you are using xbus - its like a network.

Jeremy
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't played around with the JR DMSS stuff (yet), but from what I've seen, it is really good.

For simplicity's sake, and to use your existing servos, you want to go with a non-Xbus setup for your first foray into DMSS. If you only need 11 channels, you could use the 1131B as Dave suggests. If you need (or want) 14 channels, you could use the Xport Duo and the Xbus RX's (one, or two for redundancy - which from what I've seen with DMSS isn't necessary, but would give added piece of mind).

With this setup you could use existing PWM-based servos and get comfortable with DMSS and then try an Xbus-based setup for your next new aircraft.

If I get to the point where I want a new TX/RX setup (flying Futaba FASST now, but the lack of updates on Futaba software and telemetry is a concern) and could afford it, I'd go with the 28X and convert all of my existing planes with the 1131B or Xport duo, depending on how many channels they use. Then I'd try Xbus on a future aircraft. BTW, I haven't gone Sbus on Futaba because I like JR servos better than Futaba...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 03-26-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:42 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

THis is a very simple setup. You could add another Xport duo for tons more channels or an xbus for another 4.
the xport duo is a more traditional simple setup.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-25 12.14.48.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	2084273  
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i sent you a pm ,WB_1
Old 05-14-2015, 09:24 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

Newbee with both 28X and XBUS. Struggling setting up my winf with 2 ailerons and 2 flaps with XB1-CV4. Anyone with a good description of the programming via 28X?

Thanks
Alf
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Bob no thrust vectoring? Thats what makes the 22 fun . I am using 17 channels on my F22 lol. It can eat them up fast.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 PM
spike5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by affas
Hi,

Newbee with both 28X and XBUS. Struggling setting up my winf with 2 ailerons and 2 flaps with XB1-CV4. Anyone with a good description of the programming via 28X?

Thanks
Alf
I think this will work:

set wing ring type to 2 aileron. Do not select a wing type that has a flap associated with it. Then go to channel menu and set a channel to the "flap function". Then you should be able to use flap menu as expected. Assign a channel to your 2nd ail or note default channel.

Program cv4 harness via xbus menu to your desired channels. If you use usual channel 6 for flaps, then program one output as 06-01 and another as 06-02. Program other harness outputs to your two separate AIL channels.

Note - in my experience every time you change the wing type setting it resets other channel mapping (I.e if you set ch6 to flap function it changes back to aux then the flap menu is disabled until you assign flap function again.

Hope this helps,

jeremy
Old 06-15-2015, 11:47 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

Old JR user but have some Xbus setup but I have now a new jet setup that I am a little unsure how to setup.

The jet is a second hand and it is setup traditionally. It needs 14 channel + gyro.
I have just tried out the new Axis and really like it.

Since it is all wired traditionally I do plan the following setup.

1 pc B1-14DRS XPort Duo (Dual Redundancy System)

2 pc RG712BX DMSS 2.4GHz 7ch Receiver with XBus (for redundancy)plugged into the Xport Duo

All 14 servoes into the Xport Duo and the Axis into the Xbus Signal Output on the Xport Duo.

And 2 pc of 2S A123 into the batteryslots.

Will this setup work or do I have to make another setup?

Thanks
Alf

Last edited by affas; 06-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.