Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Remembering an old friend

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Remembering an old friend

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:49 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Remembering an old friend

I learned last night that Mike Smith passed away a week or so ago. If you flew jets in Texas back when we all carried spare pistons and sleeves and pipe o rings and a full load of fuel was only about 24 ounces, then you probably knew Mike. He got out of the hobby about 10 years ago and I had not been in contact with him for quite a while.

At one time Mike owned an automotive body repair shop in Deer Park, Texas that was THE meeting place for a group of us that all got into ducted fans at the same time. We would gather there whenever a new jet kit was delivered. Some of us had to have them delivered to Mike’s shop so it would be easier to sneak them into our own shops.

Mike knew his craft well and could really lay down a nice paint job. But Mike was also an exceptional builder. He built 2 of the old George Miller F-4 Phantom kits that were designed to be powered with a single Byron fan, but he powered his with twin JMP Dynamax fans. The first one had twin OS .77s and the second had OS .91s. He also built the most detailed YA F-18C twin that I have ever seen and that was close to 20 years ago. The pictures do not do these models justice.

Everything I know about painting I learned from Mike. But I learned something else from him. I was always asking his opinion about whether I should add more detail or if I should modify this or that on a model that I would be working on and he would ask me who I was trying to please. He said “Build models to please yourself, don’t try to please everyone else. Because that will never happen.” Actually if you knew Mike you know I must have flowered that up a little. Actually last part should say “ If they don’t like it, then ____ ‘em”

Godspeed Mike Smith.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Miller F-4 1.png
Views:	131
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2085601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miller F-4 2.png
Views:	102
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2085602   Click image for larger version

Name:	YA F-18 1.png
Views:	131
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2085603   Click image for larger version

Name:	YA F-18 2.png
Views:	147
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2085604  
Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,

Sorry to hear the news. Mike was a great guy and a fixture of the Houston gang and a pleasure to have known. Brings back a lot of fun memories of the Bomber Field experience.
R.I.P. Mike, God Speed.

Dan Massey
Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad news indeed Gary.

I was fortunate to have Mike and his fine wife Brenda as my friends.
He was my inspiration for scale modeling. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw his gorgeous F-4 at Bomber Field ..... the scale fever got me right there !!!!

Godspeed my friend.

Jack
Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grbaker
... He said “build models to please yourself, don’t try to please everyone else. Because that will never happen.” actually if you knew mike you know i must have flowered that up a little. Actually last part should say “ if they don’t like it, then ____ ‘em”

godspeed mike smith.
amen!!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is Mike with another familiar face.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0012.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2085683  
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by erh7771
amen!!!!
+1. Phenomenal craftsman. Loved that big Hornet