Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

prist additive

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

prist additive

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default prist additive

Hey guys,

I got a question about prist and our turbine engines. This question has nothing to do with will it help our turbines.

But I live in arizona where it gets very hot during the summer and I plan on not flying my F-16 at all during the summer. I work at an airport and have access to Jet-A. I get it for free and have about 50 gallons of it in a fuel drum at home.

I am worried about it sitting in the garage for 5 months and the possibility of it going bad due to water or any other little particals in it. If I add the correct amount of prist to help with the bacterial issues will there be any issues down the road for my turbine when I go to start it up 5 months later? I hope this makes sense. Thanks

Steven
Old 04-10-2015, 06:01 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe Prist is an icing inhibitor, nothing to do with bacteria.
You may be thinking of Biophor (sp).
Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prist is for anti ice . What you want is an algaecide, the ones for diesel fuel will work. When you have condensation in the fuel , that condensation allows algae to grow and that the black you see in the bottom of the fuel can.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:40 PM
causeitflies

http://www.biobor.com/products/biobo...uel-additives/
Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

While its not its primary purpose Prist does kill microbial growth also along with anti icing. We use prist in our fuel mixed from the port just for this reason.

My recommendation would be to simply get a Mrfunnel from northern tool supply and just use that. if anything is wrong with the fuel you will know. I always use a MR funnel to fill my main fuel jug.
Here is a link. Best 16 dollars you can spend to save your plane.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8787_200578787
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM
causeitflies

So, a Mr Funnel and a little Prist should do it.

While the major culprit is water, the Prist should take care of fungi and bacteria while the Biopor kills algae.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Westwindpilot86

Hey guys, sorry i have been at work. I did a quick google search about what prist is. Here is a paragraph i am quoting from a website called www.askacfi.com

The brand Prist also has some biocidal and pesitcide properities. That means it can help kill bacterial growth in your fuel tanks. We all know that bacteria likes to grow in damp dark places. And nothing is as damp and dark as a fuel tank. DEGMME is a pesiticide, although the manufacturers of Prist say on their website that it has not be certified by the EPA as such (just a guess, but it is probably cost inhibitive).
So with that being said I looked up the percentage you are supposed to add and I found out between .10-.15% is what most companies put in there pre-mixed Jet-A fuel. I will try this on 5 gallons first and go from there. Thanks

Steven
Old 04-11-2015, 05:58 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I would still get a Mrfunnel its worth it weight in gold for what it does. Even if you don't have microbes going the water can still be a problem. All jet A fuel farms have some water in them. They are vented to the atmosphere and when it humid out the inside of the tank will get water on the dry spots like sweat. We have a 12000 gallon tank and its very normal down here in Florida with all the humidity to have water in the bucket on a daily sump. Best protection is the MR funnel going into your fueler.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well as mentioned, Prist is both an anti-ice and anti-microbial additive and some stuff like the older Lears (don't know about the new stuff, been some time since I worked full scale) mandate the additive. As for the bugs, yeah they'll grow in most any of the diesel/kerosene/Jet-A since they're all basically the same thing. I put an anti-microbial in my diesel truck since it's not driven much and I've seen the build up of crap in the tanks of some reserve Fire Trucks that were not driven much.

Keeping your containers tightly sealed and for long term storage, put a bug preventer in your fuel. While some guys don't like it, I use the JetCat oil since it's got the anti-static fluid already in it with no organophosphates and if I have some Kerosene (you cannot buy over the counter aviation fuels anymore, thank the EPA) that might be sitting, I just use some of the same microbicide I use in the diesel truck. For those who are worried, the newer diesel trucks with common rail fuel injection run at pressures over 22,000psi. If these additives can get through that plumbing and pressures without issue, it won't have a problem in our micro-turbines.

Oh and as for the fuel strainers? Definitely although I use a different brand than gunradd linked to. Hmm.... I had to view the video on that link to see that it's for Mr. Funnel which is the one I use. Chock it up to a late evening and some beverage of my choice.... lol....

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-11-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip on Mr Funnel. I might have to get that. I've seen diesel from some station pumps have a surprising amount of debris in it.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
I would still get a Mrfunnel its worth it weight in gold for what it does. Even if you don't have microbes going the water can still be a problem. All jet A fuel farms have some water in them. They are vented to the atmosphere and when it humid out the inside of the tank will get water on the dry spots like sweat. We have a 12000 gallon tank and its very normal down here in Florida with all the humidity to have water in the bucket on a daily sump. Best protection is the MR funnel going into your fueler.
How long does one "Mr Funnel" last? Is it a long term reusable item or a quickly consumable one? Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:53 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie P
How long does one "Mr Funnel" last? Is it a long term reusable item or a quickly consumable one? Thanks!
Hi Eddie P

I have had mine for 8 years now and it just sits in a shed outside where summer temps reach up to 150 deg F under the sun and winters (California) to about 40. It's a high quality product. Have had no problems with it up until now. Works well. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Westwindpilot86

Just bought a Mr Funnel off ebay. Looking forward to getting it
Old 04-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrV
Hi Eddie P

I have had mine for 8 years now and it just sits in a shed outside where summer temps reach up to 150 deg F under the sun and winters (California) to about 40. It's a high quality product. Have had no problems with it up until now. Works well. I highly recommend it.
Thank you DrV! Great stuff.