Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Mini Avanti w/ K45 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, I have just bought one of these beautiful little jets complete with a low time P20. It came with a gyro, but no data lead or programmer, so won't be able to use it.
Three questions!
Does it need a gyro?
No wing fences on mine, does it need that, too? Would anyone have a outline for a wing fence?
Can't wait to get this in the air, and very light with the P20.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

1. No it doesn't need a gyro. What gyro is it?
2. No, it doesn't need wing fences. Mine doesn't have them, it seems to fly the exact same as the half dozen I've flown with them.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Aussie1

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
1. No it doesn't need a gyro. What gyro is it?
2. No, it doesn't need wing fences. Mine doesn't have them, it seems to fly the exact same as the half dozen I've flown with them.
Andy, thanks for the reply. Good news about the fences, because they take away the very clean lines of the jet, in my opinion. The gyro is Eagle A3 Super, but I do have a Sebart one lying around, which doesn't require programming.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM
BarracudaHockey

If it's windy often where you fly maybe, but to fly well the Avanti doesn't need a gyro.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I fly mine without a gyro and haven't felt a need for it. It's a very honest little airplane.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Aussie1

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
I fly mine without a gyro and haven't felt a need for it. It's a very honest little airplane.
Thanks for the replies! Over the years, I have had about 20 different jets and have never used a gyro. The only one that may have benefited was a BVM F86 with a P60 that would tail wag at high speed. So, no gyro or wing fences for me!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:23 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It flies well without a gyro but with a gyro it takes the "wind" out of the equation. It does not need it but if you have a gyro, it's a bonus. It makes the plane so much smoother. Mine has the wing fences but I have flown other people's minis without the fences and have not noticed a difference.
The following users liked this post:
authomassen (12-02-2023)
Old 07-22-2018, 03:48 AM
BarracudaHockey

It's one of those things I gave some thought to, because Seba is a smart guy, I'm sure he added those fences for a reason but I can't think of what the reason might be. One thing that occurred to me, this is a scaled down version of a jet he flys with vectored thrust and does high alpha and other amazing 3D and its probably a benefit in that situation. In any case, I certainly wouldn't sweat it.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:57 PM
Jsibal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury SRS and door sequencer

hi,

would it be ok to use the mercury srs door sequencer in place of the supplied jphobby door sequencer in the mini avanti kit? Would want to remove as much clutter as possible

thanks

Old 07-23-2018, 12:41 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

a sequencer is a sequencer. presume you can use any that would do the simple job. Do not recall reading any issue with the stock sequencer though

Regards,
Old 07-23-2018, 04:01 AM
BarracudaHockey

You're putting an SRS in this thing?

Yes it will work but isn't that kinda big
Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Mine will be for sale at Best in the West I think.. ZERO wrong with it, but I just want a bigger one.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:54 AM
authomassen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsibal
hi,

would it be ok to use the mercury srs door sequencer in place of the supplied jphobby door sequencer in the mini avanti kit? Would want to remove as much clutter as possible

thanks

It won't work. The retract units are only wired with a pos and neg wire, no signal. All the actual electronics needed to run the retracts are in the controller. If you want to cut some clutter I’d rather loose the mercury, and only use a normal receiver.

In mine I use only a receiver with battery connected directly. No switches etc. Super simple, and works every time.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:51 AM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Pipe ?

... And what pipe size have you in K45 ????
Old 07-28-2018, 03:29 AM
Doug Cronkhite

I'm using Tam's P20 pipe from long ago..
Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Guys,

I am looking at putting one of these together with a K45 (k70 currently undergoing revision) and have read through this thread. Over time it seems several different configurations have been flown.... different pipes/tanks/struts. So I am trying to narrow it down to what appears to be the best setup overall?

Tams pipe seemed to be the “most correct” pipe diameter but is no longer available it seems. Grummania is the other option but that is for a “40-80” turbine if I recall. Although it seems to work fine. Also there is a company that will make a pipe to your particular specs so I could have the Tams pipe made if I knew the exact specs. Recommendations?

its seems folks have settled on the CMP 1.3l tank? Is it enough fuel for 5-6 min or recommend the 1.5l?

Struts.... Tams was the “go to” strut but no longer available so now Jet-A1 struts? What length and how is the availability? Anyone else have experience with any other options.

Brakes.... JP I Spose is the option. Which wheel size is suggested? Flying off of grass.

So these are the pressing questions I have thus far. Any input would be great!

Thx,
PaulP
Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leardriver
Hey Guys,

I am looking at putting one of these together with a K45 (k70 currently undergoing revision) and have read through this thread. Over time it seems several different configurations have been flown.... different pipes/tanks/struts. So I am trying to narrow it down to what appears to be the best setup overall?

Tams pipe seemed to be the “most correct” pipe diameter but is no longer available it seems. Grummania is the other option but that is for a “40-80” turbine if I recall. Although it seems to work fine. Also there is a company that will make a pipe to your particular specs so I could have the Tams pipe made if I knew the exact specs. Recommendations?

its seems folks have settled on the CMP 1.3l tank? Is it enough fuel for 5-6 min or recommend the 1.5l?

Struts.... Tams was the “go to” strut but no longer available so now Jet-A1 struts? What length and how is the availability? Anyone else have experience with any other options.

Brakes.... JP I Spose is the option. Which wheel size is suggested? Flying off of grass.

So these are the pressing questions I have thus far. Any input would be great!

Thx,
PaulP
Hi Paul,

I typed a long response but wasn’t allowed to post it because I had links in the response, and evidently I can’t do that yet until I reach a minimum of ten posts. Doesn’t that just figure.

Anyway.....ha-ha, this will be a shorter post. A gentleman named Peter, 1moparman1 (scree name on RCgroups, and may be the same or similar on RCU), appears to be continuing some of the TamJets line of products. Some of those products look to be tanks, turbine pipes, and struts. Peter has threads on RCgroups in the classifieds section regarding TamJets products that’s worth checking out. He also has a website, which apparently I can’t link yet due to post count, but it’s BajaHobbyUSA. He has a Mini Avanti S turbine kit for it with either just the turbine pipe, or the additional accessories such as tank, air trap, etc.

In addition to TamJet and Grumania for turbine pipe choices, HAB pipes may be worth looking into as well. They can make custom pipes specific to your needs.

Regarding wheel brakes, it appears to depend on the struts used as that may alter the wheel size needed without having to enlarge the wheel wells. The strut may or may not fit perfectly centered into the wheel well, and that may be a factor in your decision to choose one wheel brake size over another. It may be best to get the struts first, and wheels afterward to determine the best size for the setup you decide upon. Many are choosing JP brand wheel brakes since they do a relatively good job for an inexpensive price, offer a variety of wheel sizes, as well as axle sizes. Hopefully others will chime in with the struts and wheel brake sizes they chose.

I hope this helps. I have yet to build my Mini Avanti as I am piecing together the parts I need, and the turbine I’m going with will not be available for some time.

Last edited by T_CAT; 02-09-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 PM
1moparman1
My Feedback: (28)

Default Website

Thanks Tcat.
My website is bajahobbyusa.com
let me know if I can help
thx

Peter
Old 02-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks Guys! What capacity is the Tams tank?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:57 PM
T_CAT

I’ve read through this whole thread and the thread on RCg. It appears a majority of flyers are using a Kevlar tank, CMJets or a TamJets fuel tank. I’m not sure if the TamJets requires trimming of the intakes. I’d prefer not to have to do that.

Are there any other single tank manufacturers you all recommend that do not require any modification of the intakes to fit, and one that may be offered within the states (can be plastic or Kevlar)? Possibly RotoFlow, Dubro, Sullivan, etc.?

Last edited by T_CAT; 02-19-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:49 PM
1moparman1

Check on my website bajahobbyusa
we will be bring back tanks for different jets. We also carry many different size uat to fit your needs

Peter
bajahobbyusa
Old 02-19-2019, 06:15 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by 1moparman1
Check on my website bajahobbyusa
we will be bring back tanks for different jets. We also carry many different size uat to fit your needs

Peter
bajahobbyusa
Thanks Peter . I checked the website, but the description on the website doesn’t state whether the TamJets fuel tank requires is a drop in fit or if any modification is needed to the stock intake ducts (or if a more custom tank is needed), or what the size of the fuel tank is. I do see that a turbine pipe, fuel tank, and UAT are available separate or as a custom package, but not any description and specs. on the pieces. I’m viewing the webpage on a smartphone though, and maybe that makes a difference in viewing the content, but I’ll have to check.

Last edited by T_CAT; 02-19-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:27 PM
1moparman1

The way we setup the package is NO mod needed to fit them in to a stock airframe that it was intended for.
Like the mini Avanti the habu setup is designed to fit a stock habu 32x with stock intake and the pipe are cut to sized to fit a p20 or k30 without any modification
we can also make any changes to your liking too
Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM
T_CAT

Originally Posted by 1moparman1
The way we setup the package is NO mod needed to fit them in to a stock airframe that it was intended for.
Like the mini Avanti the habu setup is designed to fit a stock habu 32x with stock intake and the pipe are cut to sized to fit a p20 or k30 without any modification
we can also make any changes to your liking too
Thanks Peter. I’m definitely liking that. What is the TamJets fuel tanks capacity for the Mini Avanti S (on the Avanti conversion product page)? Also, any pictures of one installed in a Mini Avanti S?

Last edited by T_CAT; 02-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 PM
1moparman1

I will post that later this week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.