Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-15C Purchase on RCU

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-15C Purchase on RCU

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skymaster F-15C Purchase on RCU

So I recently purchased this F-15 with the impression that it just needed new airlines and fuel lines re-plumbed, add electronics and Turbine. Of course I asked all the typical questions and got answers that told me this may not be someone with a lot of building experience, but I took the chance anyway because I was looking for something I could get painted myself and have as an everyday flyer scale jet. "So I thought"

So she comes in and I start to unpack her. From 10ft she looked great. As I put it on the table and started inspecting for the little parts, I started to realize this wasn't going to turn out so good. I wont go into the details, but a few things will have to be done to her to get her flying. I couldn't just put servos in her and fly...

Just have to order a few things to get it up to speed, servo L brackets, airline, fuel tubing, ect

After it's all said and done, It would be almost like building the ARF and getting it dialed in. Everything will have to be re-done. This will definitely be a project.....

I was frustrated at first and immediately posted it back for sale just because I didn't want to put that much time into fixing the plane before being able to plug everything in and fly...

So after a week of calming down, I feel it needs to be fixed and flown. It could be therapy for me. LOL I find building/repairing can be relaxing at times. Only problem is that soccer season is right around the corner for my kids and time will be limited. I am still on the fence on what to do, so I made a video to get your thoughts.....This video I made AFTER CLEANING it up and gutting the whole thing!! Just showing bare airframe. LG is good, tires need replaced for sure.

In all fairness, I gave a good rating because I paid, it got shipped and delivered, and to be honest, I don't think he really understood the work needed.

https://youtu.be/Y1J9LU31w5o

Last edited by Dblex; 08-04-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:43 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just went through this exact same scenario with My Yellow Aircraft F15, that I finished a couple weeks ago. I bought it knowing it needed a little work, got it and it needed more than I thought. Had to go in totally strip, reinforce, remove servo mounts that were not glued in correctly or tight, repair Gear mounts, ETC. It was a lot of work Ill admit. BUT I seen that F15 you got when it was for sale,, Try to get the same peace I did,, Knowing You got a good price on it. I now have 8 flights on mine, and really enjoy it, it was worth it, I think you will find the same. It will be worth it the first time you go wheels up,,,
here is my second Takeoff,,, I really enjoy the jet, everyone likes the way an Eagle looks, youll be up in the air soon too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6JSTHFdkio
Old 08-05-2015, 05:10 AM
Dblex

Ronnie, Thanks for that.

What did you do for paint? I am in the process of re-sanding the fuse and getting it ready for repairs and new primer. Last night I tore apart the struts, wheels and brakes and started cleaning things up. Stripped the struts down to the metal and man are they pretty!! I may keep them aluminum since they look great. I may need a new set of wheels and brakes...looking into those now...

I really didn't want to lose the scale painting on the in the nozzles area since it looked somewhat decent. But its flaking really bad. I started sanding last night and well...I'm committed now... LOL

I may just have to go with silver and plain black nozzles. Still not sure yet. I don't airbrush...."yet" LOL I just wondered if anyone went simple colors and not high details....

Great name by the way!

Have a great day my fellow Texan!

Ron
Old 08-05-2015, 05:42 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, not sure what they sold you but I would have not paid more than $800 for that model. Im sure it can all be fixed, but then again, sell it as a fixer upper, or at least state that it doesnt look very good and requires work.

In any case, I would very rarely rely on someone else riggin up a bird for me (NOT EVEN BVM/CHINA). So take it with a grain of salt, if you don't know who sold it to you, best thing you can do is strip it out and at least check everything for cleanliness. Riggin up an ARF takes time. You have to bring it up to ARF level, and then rigg it. You being involved is the right way to go.

Cheers,
David
Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 AM
Dblex

Amen!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that every time I buy a used model I have to go thru and reinstall everything. Could some of them fly the way they came, sure but I like them done right... That unfinished body work should have been disclosed in the sale, if not I would get some money back to make up for it.....
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW Ron.....................if you are not looking for "perfection", you can probably do all the glasswork and sanding in a Saturday afternoon, and touch up paint that same evening using Testor's Modelmaster's Acrylics and an airbrush...they should have a color close enough to what you need, and it is waterbased so the cleaning of the equipment can't get easier.

You can mask the area being touched up in reactangular patterns, kinda looking like a real repair panel. Get a set of rivet dry-transfers and you can really bring out a repair panel!!!

Just an idea. I see this as an entry-level jet project. You will succeed and fly the crap out of it.
:-)
Old 08-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Dblex

The jet came in with the repairs already done and primered for paint. Cosmetically it stood out and it bothered me so I went into detail as to inspect the repairs, aluminum was used for patches and I thought it could be better. Biggest repair challenges are near the gear doors area, and the gelcoat cracks from flexing.

I could use a little advice on what would be best to fill, and handle the Gelcoat cracks without having to Dremel each crack and fill with Gelcoat. Of course I will be reinforcing the fiberglass from underneath to prevent flexing. I could use some repair secrets!!!!!

not trying to win Topgun I just wanted a nice scale daily flyer
Old 08-05-2015, 06:55 AM
bri6672

I just lay up some glass on the inside then fill blemishes with split second or icing then sand prime paint and good to go! Unless the seller claims its new or brags about the condition of the jet I kind of expect that type of stuff, the used market is a tough one...

Last edited by bri6672; 08-05-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 AM
Dblex

Split second? Icing? What brand and where from?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 AM
bri6672

We'll split second is discontinued but icing is available it is light weight cures fast and sands easy. I get mine thru Jet Hangar Hobbies.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Should see the mess im dealing with. This aircraft was an accident waiting to happen that I am rebuilding. Some of my favorite things where the 3 inch extensions all wired together to make a 30 inch one and 60 oz servos and huge flaps with plastic horns or 4 puffed batteries.... or how about it has more door airlines then it has doors.. I think I found out where those are capped and need to remove them.

All in all its better to just do it your self and know its right. I take pride in having an airworthy aircraft and it not crashing due to a build error. The only way to insure that is to start over anyway. So I am good with this. If I replace everything then all should be done right

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11811396_10204261106839094_7389575790810678498_n.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	2112947   Click image for larger version

Name:	11813429_10204261108439134_1069139852391932321_n.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2112948  
Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Holy Spaghetti... Scary stuff.

After buying a used jet once on only photos... I hope I can stick to my own advice and never do it again unless I know the builder and owner well or I see it in person first. Only then can we know what we are stepping into. I even hesitate to sell my planes on photos only. Since I am picky I don't want others to be disappointed in something I over looked potentially.

My own good advice goes out the window if the plane is one I have wanted and can't otherwise easily get or some other reason like that. Then I have to know it's essentially a re-install and repair. Those can still be great aircraft it's just they aren't going to come easy - the piper gets paid somewhere down the line.

Last edited by Eddie P; 08-05-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:34 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

air those puffed lipos?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Puffed LIFEs
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I recently got that same treatment. Seller did disclose that the plane had been in a hard landing and included the replacement part that was damaged, but strongly gave the impression that it was an otherwise good plane. When I got it, it was insult on top of injury. The injury was that there were lots and lots of cracked areas that were 'repaired' with a bead of glue run down the inside of the crack plus some of the worst servo installation I've seen in a long time (hack-job on the mounts and on the slots in the servo plates). Further injury was the sloppy (at best) situation with the engine mounts and the rest of the internal wood parts in the fuse. The insult was that I got it shipped with the tanks half full (and no plug in the vent to stop it from leaking out). I didn't see that the tanks were full of fuel (and would never, ever have guess that he's ship it like that) so when I put it in the van, I got a neat gift of jet fuel all over my upholstery, not to mention having totally fuel-soaked ply everywhere.

I bought based on reputation, but from now on, no sight-unseen purchases...
Old 08-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Dblex

Once I know someone is serious about buying something from me I make them call me I dosclose everything about the aircraft and then I like to send a video Or if possible FaceTime in real time to converse about the aircraft and show them any questions they may have.

I actually can't wait to get home to take pictures of my spaghetti that was removed from the aircraft as well as the bag full of airline T's I got from the airline plumbing. I had spliced airlines for extensions, as well as the fuel lines. Multiple leak points for no reason. Unless they didn't have enough line or tubing and added line as they went along.

Last edited by Dblex; 08-05-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Shaun Evans

Geez,

How did someone puff those packs like that?!?!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Dblex

LOL,

So here is my bundle, bag of tees just for the air lines that were in place....

And lastly, primer over stickers...REALLY? is it going to be ok to sand over and primer? OR......? Looking for alcohol RIGHT NOW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3161.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2113001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3162.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2113002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3160.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2113003  
Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Ron, you have a diamond in the rough. Agree we all buy things "ready to fly in a few days" and then after inspection, we usually go in an bring up to our own building standards and repair, fix, upgrade to what we feel is a long term solution. This jet will be a great flyer after you put your own personal sweat and elbow grease into it.

as for repairs post 7, 9 are exactly right and using panel lines is a natural mask off area. For exterior fills, try red glazing putty from auto zone. A tube is about $6. It appears very much like the "icing" product mentioned as I look at JHH site. I fiberglass and CA all cracks, then use glazing putty, Sand and primer. I used dry set transfers for markings and warnings after reprinting in grey ghost colors. Could also use carbon fiber Matt material inside fuse instead of fiberglass.

Wow it has been 10 years since I stripped and completely sanded back to orig fiberglass on my own Byron F-15. I undertook that after I did the maiden in its orig owners colors. See my gallery for a picture. You are inspiring me, I may have to get it out of storage on my garage ceiling and back into the air. I had always intended to upgrade from fans to turbine someday anyway.

Last edited by FireBee; 08-05-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Auto spell typos
Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Dblex

I would love to strip her down to the glass, but I tested a small portion with Citristrip and it works, but you have to scrape it to get it off. If I can find something easier to use that would wipe down, I would do it!!

Still thinking about it....I can only sneak in a few moments here and there with work, kids, soccer, and home duties....so at this rate, Trump will have been President for a year...LMAO..IM KIDDING GUYS!! just having fun...LOL
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Long rectangle: Those are low light panels for night formation flying as key reference points. I even got the glow in the dark panels in dry transfer on mine. They are cool and when I'm done building at nights and I kill the garage lights. The glow just like the real ones.

Shaun, it's like theater marking tape only way thinner!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Dblex

Yeah, but is it ok to paint over all this?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dblex
and lastly, primer over stickers...really? Is it going to be ok to sand over and primer? Or......? Looking for alcohol right now
Whiskey!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Dblex

Ok, so here is the challenge....

If I repair the obvious, prep with primer the areas that were exposed and tinkered with, and move on with paint....

Should I...

1. Rattle Can it.....(since I don't have painting equipment)
2. Let my buddy shoot it after I prep and primer with rattle can at his car shop. Keep the color simple....he offered a few colors..
3. Find a experienced model painter in Texas and have it done right...<----this could be costly. if it was a new gelcoat ready for paint, maybe..but this situation..????

Its mainly cost vs. functionality of the project. The intent is for a nice daily flyer. Not detailed scale competition.....

I am reaching out for help gentlemen....make the pain go away...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.