Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How To: Build a variable rate, reversible Fueling Station for you Jet!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How To: Build a variable rate, reversible Fueling Station for you Jet!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How To: Build a variable rate, reversible Fueling Station for you Jet!

Hello Guys,

After having built several of these which are running with great success, i thought i'd do a build thread.
I always wanted to build a high quality fueling station, with variable rate control, reversible direction and on/off switching, so i went ahead and designed one as an integration of existing, extremely cheap off the shelf electronics.

The fueling station consits of the following parts:
1. Housing (i chose a nice aluminum box - 7$):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pcs-White-E...0AAOSwv0tVVY1o
If you wish to save on cost, you can use a Hitec servo box, which is free with any servo

2. Servo Tester (for rate control) - 1.5$:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Servo-...gAAOSwMmBV5AEW

3. 5K Potentiometer (more heavy duty than the original servo tester's pot) - 1$:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5K-B5K-OHM-L...MAAOxyx0JTewtZ

4. Heavy Duty 3 position switch (ON-OFF-ON) - 4.2$:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DPDT-On-Off-...MAAOSwyQtVlSYB

5. Brush motor Speed control - with internal UBEC to power the servo tester - 5$:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...USHED_ESC.html

6. Cap for Pot's neck (15 Cents):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-6mm-S...AAAOSweW5VK2jG

Total cost: about 19$ including the fancy Aluminum Housing.
The basic principles are rather straight forward - the speed control controls the rate, and the switch reverses direction.
Im adding a sketch of the system, and some pics of the internal electronics layout and the finished product.

Assembly instructions:
1. remove the servo tester's stock pot and solder your large 5K pot on a piece of servo wire in its place.
2. remove LED1 from servo tester, and solder it back on a piece of wire. this will be mounted on the side of the housing, viewable from the outside, and will act as a visual aid whenever your battery is connected.
3. drill holes in the side of the housing to hold the pot, the switch neck and the LED, per your preference.
4. Assemble everything as per the attached sketch. for a finishing touch i added a cap on the Pot's neck.
5. Mount to your fuel tank, and Enjoy

Thanks for watching.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fueling station - inside.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	2130231   Click image for larger version

Name:	fueling station - outside.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	2130232   Click image for larger version

Name:	fueling station.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2130234  

Last edited by i3dm; 11-12-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. The block diagram comes up OK now - there was some kind of glitch before. No worries.
Oh, and I got to thinking that the use of one "slicwe" from a 3PDT On/Off/On toggle switch would allow you to keep the battery energy removed from the circuit entirely when in the OFF position.

Last edited by 1Eye; 11-12-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:06 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by 1Eye
Nice work. The block diagram comes up OK now - there was some kind of glitch before. No worries.
Thanks for the feedback, it does open for me, but ill attach it again just in case.

Name:	fueling station.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2130238  
Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just one small point with this circuit is that the lipo will slowly discharge through the ESC unless it's disconnected. When I built one of these a couple of years ago I managed to source a triple pole double throw switch and used the third pole to disconnect the lipo in the centre position. The battery can now be housed inside the enclosure with no need for access to disconnect.

Malcolm
Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Malcolm H
Just one small point with this circuit is that the lipo will slowly discharge through the ESC unless it's disconnected. When I built one of these a couple of years ago I managed to source a triple pole double throw switch and used the third pole to disconnect the lipo in the centre position. The battery can now be housed inside the enclosure with no need for access to disconnect.

Malcolm
You are absolutely correct Malcolm, the battery needs to be disconnected at the end of the flying day. this is why the LED is there to alert you whenever a battery is connected.
The problem with disconnecting the battery in the center position (or any position for that matter) is that these ESCs require "arming" (PWM 1000us signal) to start running, so after every disconnect of the lipo an arming cycle with the pot is required, this is no big deal once a day, but arming every time reverse the pump direction can become a pain.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Nicely done and documented. yeah, easy to make your own. I went caveman style and just use a couple HD SPTT switches and a 2ohm power resistor to downshift the flow.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually I thought that was the case when I first built my unit but I quickly discovered that you just turn the pot all the way down to zero flow and from that position it will start again without rearming. Also if you reverse the direction with the switch and it passed through the off position it still stays armed and the pump reverses. At least on my particular ESC, I guess a capacitor somewhere is staying charged :-)

Malcolm
Old 11-13-2015, 02:00 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Your my hero
Old 11-14-2015, 01:44 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by fenderbean
your my hero
lol !
Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 PM
i3dm

Here is my freshly built fueling station mounted on a new 25 Liter tank.

Name:	IMG-20151115-WA0043.jpeg
Views:	991
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2130761  
Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys instead of using the little filters, a 1/4 inch gasoline filter will work very well and last longer and let you see if any trash gets in.. its kinda like a giant festo filter.. and its a couple bucks at the store.. 6mm will stretch over the barbs.. fyi..

Nice can I3DM
Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Guys instead of using the little filters, a 1/4 inch gasoline filter will work very well and last longer and let you see if any trash gets in.. its kinda like a giant festo filter.. and its a couple bucks at the store.. 6mm will stretch over the barbs.. fyi..

Nice can I3DM
Good to know !
Glad i now know of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-1-4-6-...BV6lC1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by i3dm; 11-16-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:34 AM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello i3DM,
Can you post a picot of the other side of the servo tester board so that I can see exactly where you soldered the servo wires to. Your instruction say to solder them in place of the stock pot, but which wire goes where? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:51 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of questions

1. where to get the brushed pump? Also, will any of these 12v pumps for fuel work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERSA...5WW-1g&vxp=mtr

2. How to plum the tank and its parts, also I have no idea where to get them from... I know where to get the tank from but not the cap or the fittings or the hoses... or the.. well

Thanks for any input

Last edited by erh7771; 12-20-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:26 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Very Nice setup i3dm..

Has anyone incorporated a resettable counter in their fuel station so we can see how many milliliters (fl.oz.) we pump onboard and how much we take out??

Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by MarkShapiro
Hello i3DM,
Can you post a picot of the other side of the servo tester board so that I can see exactly where you soldered the servo wires to. Your instruction say to solder them in place of the stock pot, but which wire goes where? Thanks.
Solder the middle wire to the middle pin of the stock pot, other 2 dont matter, reversing them will reverse the pot direction of rotation.

Originally Posted by erh7771
Couple of questions

1. where to get the brushed pump? Also, will any of these 12v pumps for fuel work?

2. How to plum the tank and its parts, also I have no idea where to get them from... I know where to get the tank from but not the cap or the fittings or the hoses... or the.. well

Thanks for any input
That pump looks OK. a good place to buy fittings and hoses is www.dreamworksrc.com
Old 12-21-2015, 02:23 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, i3dm!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've designed one that is reversible, flow rate control and has LiPo low voltage cut off. It's been tested with gas, diesel and water to good effect with no problems. I'd like to produce it in small batches but the cost it high to get circuit boards made.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Air Works

Originally Posted by erh7771
Couple of questions

Thanks for any input

Hi do you know if these pump are reversible to enable the tanks to be emptied?

Regards,
Paul
Old 12-22-2015, 04:38 PM
stevekott

I don't think that pump is reversible. Looks like your standard automotive fuel pump. You need to think 'transfer pump'.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:02 AM
Air Works

Originally Posted by stevekott
I don't think that pump is reversible. Looks like your standard automotive fuel pump. You need to think 'transfer pump'.
How do you empty the tanks?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 AM
i3dm

most of these pumps are just a motor and some kind of transmission.
i'd think it will work in reverse. maybe not as well as forward, but it should work.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 AM
stevekott

If it's got the little motor and a geared or vaned pump it will probably work fine in reverse. Some of the automotive fuel pumps have check valves in them to make them function and I don't think they can be reversed.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well it's not as hazardous to play with Kero, diesel or Jet-A as it would be gasoline, but one of the reasons the commercial stuff is spendy is due to explosion proof switches and housings.

One other thing I've learned the hard way after starting to fly jets, is that you MUST either have a slow to medium flow rate pump or an adjustable speed pump to prevent putting too much vacuum on the tanks while defueling; they crack when subject to excessing vacuum as they weren't really designed for that.... Just a thought or two.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:20 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well it's not as hazardous to play with Kero, diesel or Jet-A as it would be gasoline, but one of the reasons the commercial stuff is spendy is due to explosion proof switches and housings.

One other thing I've learned the hard way after starting to fly jets, is that you MUST either have a slow to medium flow rate pump or an adjustable speed pump to prevent putting too much vacuum on the tanks while defueling; they crack when subject to excessing vacuum as they weren't really designed for that.... Just a thought or two.
never seen a hobby grade explosion proof item!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.