Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
KingTech USA experience and Customer Service >

KingTech USA experience and Customer Service

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingTech USA experience and Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool KingTech USA experience and Customer Service

Hello all, I am new to this form and new to the use of turbines. My experience is in EDF and have been in and out of the Hobby for a little bit. Here recently I have got back into it but this time I wanted to take the plunge into Turbines this time. I have been wanting turbines for the past 10 years but just never had the opportunity to get them due to some reasons but now I am. I have searched and searched and continued until I decided to go with Kingtech. Well, at this point all I can say is that I feel this has been the best experience getting back in and also my first Turbine. So far my experience has been nothing but outstanding with Berry and he has really taken care of me. I had some issues well not really issues but just some newbie mistakes when looking at turbine and airframe and when asked, berry just showed how true a good sales/support rep should be. My hats off to him and his team! Thanks again Berry for all your help!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:22 AM

I do have a question? I know that it states to mix 5% oil to 5 gal of fuel, does the 5% stay true if you want to make up 2 gal of fuel? or does the % go down the less fuel you have. Can anyone help me with this one. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeJr1485
I do have a question? I know that it states to mix 5% oil to 5 gal of fuel, does the 5% stay true if you want to make up 2 gal of fuel? or does the % go down the less fuel you have. Can anyone help me with this one. Thanks everyone!
Hello Joe.

Its always 5%. You can go down to about 3% with diesel but I always just do 5% to be safe.

For 2 gallons you would need .4 of a quart for a 5% mix.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 AM

Thank you for your response! I wanted to make sure so that I didn't cause issues. I am looking forward to this! Man I feel like a kid in a big candy shop wanting to fill a large bag up with goodie haha
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

JoeJr. Welcome to turbines. I have owned many manufacturers of turbines back to the beginning of turbines. I own multiple Kingtechs and they have been great engines. Good luck with your new turbine flying exprience
Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM

Thank you Kevinthoele! As I stated In new to them so I sure take me time to ensure that I know and learn as much about it before I take it to the air. I am going to build a test stand for this weekend. I am still trying to figure out were to get a thrust gage at. I have been all over this sight trying to find one or ones that others have used but I am guess I am not looking correctly. I have seen the fish scale used but I don't understand how they are hooked up. From what I have seen on it, it has a hook on it to pull against the reader. I have to do some more reading and figure out how to jig it up so the turbine pulls on the scale.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM

Really no need to do this. Make sure its hitting its RPMs and go fly. I have yet to get thrust numbers on a plane lol.

Thank you Kevinthoele! As I stated In new to them so I sure take me time to ensure that I know and learn as much about it before I take it to the air. I am going to build a test stand for this weekend. I am still trying to figure out were to get a thrust gage at. I have been all over this sight trying to find one or ones that others have used but I am guess I am not looking correctly. I have seen the fish scale used but I don't understand how they are hooked up. From what I have seen on it, it has a hook on it to pull against the reader. I have to do some more reading and figure out how to jig it up so the turbine pulls on the scale.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 AM

lol thank Gunradd! well I want to make sure I get used to the throttle response and understand it. I am going to treat it and myself as child trying to learn how to right a bike haha I going to take baby steps.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 AM

Where are you located? I am currently working with a few guys getting their turbine waivers down here in Florida.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 AM

Gunradd I am stationed in Hawaii. I know there is a club hear but can't seam to find much information on it. We only have two hobby shops hear that I know of. I know that not too long ago they used to fly jets on the marine corp base here but I am not sure if they still do. So there might be a chance that I might not get to get my waiver while here. I have to do some more research and calling around. There is also another field as well but not sure if they fly turbines there. Currently my work has had me tide up for a while. The good thing is. I am not going to let this stop me from getting back into it. heck after wanting one for 10 years, I can still enjoy starting it up and when I have the airframe to put it in I can do some taxi sessions haha.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lol thank Gunradd! well I want to make sure I get used to the throttle response and understand it. I am going to treat it and myself as child trying to learn how to right a bike haha I going to take baby steps.
Now days with the newer Turbines the throttle response is pretty much just as instant as a gas or nitro engine.

There just isn't the lag of waiting for the throttle to respond like there was in the old days.

Hope this helps with your concerns.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JoeJr,

If you have not yet decided on an airframe for your newly acquired turbine, take a look at the Turbinator, or Boomerang . Either one would be an excellent choice as a first turbine-powered plane. Also, welcome to the highly addictive world of turbine-powered flight.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Really! Greg thats awesome, then it shouldnt be too much to get used to then. This is very pleasing to hear.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Hey david! I see you are from good ol nashville. Im from bowling green Ky! I know Nashville very well. I have looked at those and researched my butt off and what would be the response to a viper : ). My end goal or should I say what got me looking at wanting a turbine 10 years ago was really the A10. I love that thing so much and one day will have one in my collection lol. But for now start with something to get into the great hobby of jets lol
Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Really! Greg thats awesome, then it shouldnt be too much to get used to then. This is very pleasing to hear.
Yes Joe Really!!

They have come a long way from the days when there was a 6 to 7 second lag time in throttle response.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Joe, I was pondering going to Hawaii since they are putting Apaches there but decided to hold off. There is a club there and some jet guys, from what I was told they use an old airfield owned by the military. I think I remember seeing someone post on here from Hawaii as well. Also since these things go through the fuel your probably going to need a 5 gallon jug so it will solve the math for oil mixing.
Good luck on your adventure
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM

JoeJr, Welcome to the world of turbines! It is addictive, once you start you cannot quit.

It's a GREAT group of guys that fly turbines. The responses you get are truly meant to keep you from learning the hard way. We've all learned something the hard way and have a box of broken or burned jet carcasses tucked away in the back of the garage to prove it.

It is fun to just start them up just for the sound and excitement. Don't worry too much about measuring the thrust. It will be PLENTY! Coming from EDF's you will find it AWESOME. No more worrying about every ounce of weight, efflux and perfect ducting and airflow. No more worrying about C rating, battery discharge curves. Just add Kero! It's why you bought a turbine

Great advice given about the air frame. Don't go all scale and sexy on your FIRST air frame. You will have more than enough to learn with a trainer to make your palms sweat. If it survives your training great to have around as your warm up plane if you haven't flown for a while. Spend a lot of time on this forum, you will learn a lot.

Pay close attention to how to set your turbine up for failsafe. Make sure you can see the failsafe signal on the Data Terminal when you turn off your tx. It's supposed to shut down 2 seconds AFTER you get a failsafe. I've seen a lot of guys (myself included) set it up so the turbine shuts off on failsafe by going to the throttle down, trim down position. That will shut your turbine down IMMEDIATELY if you get a glitch. Deadsticks on a turbine are very stressful and don't always end well.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome to the club!

Happy Flying,

SteveK
Old 01-06-2016, 06:15 PM

That's good to know Greg. When seeing it in writing it may not seem that much but 6 to 7 sec is all it takes for a mishap. your information is greatly appreciated. Matter fact every providing feedback is great. I can see that the jet community is very helpful and wants to ensure I have success. That is a Great Plus. Thank you everyone!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Hey Fender, you should have just come on out! The weather is always between 70 and 90 all year around. So that means flying 365 in shorts and flower shirt haha. Yea its on the what is called the windward side. I have been meaning to get over there to talk to the guys but I have been swamped with work for the past few months. I will head out that way soon and see the conditions of the field and the club. haha yeah I going to get the 5 gal jug but until I get my air frame I was just going to mix up a few gals to do some test runs on it.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevekott
JoeJr, Welcome to the world of turbines! It is addictive, once you start you cannot quit.

It's a GREAT group of guys that fly turbines. The responses you get are truly meant to keep you from learning the hard way. We've all learned something the hard way and have a box of broken or burned jet carcasses tucked away in the back of the garage to prove it.

It is fun to just start them up just for the sound and excitement. Don't worry too much about measuring the thrust. It will be PLENTY! Coming from EDF's you will find it AWESOME. No more worrying about every ounce of weight, efflux and perfect ducting and airflow. No more worrying about C rating, battery discharge curves. Just add Kero! It's why you bought a turbine

Great advice given about the air frame. Don't go all scale and sexy on your FIRST air frame. You will have more than enough to learn with a trainer to make your palms sweat. If it survives your training great to have around as your warm up plane if you haven't flown for a while. Spend a lot of time on this forum, you will learn a lot.

Pay close attention to how to set your turbine up for failsafe. Make sure you can see the failsafe signal on the Data Terminal when you turn off your tx. It's supposed to shut down 2 seconds AFTER you get a failsafe. I've seen a lot of guys (myself included) set it up so the turbine shuts off on failsafe by going to the throttle down, trim down position. That will shut your turbine down IMMEDIATELY if you get a glitch. Deadsticks on a turbine are very stressful and don't always end well.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome to the club!

Happy Flying,

SteveK
Hey Stevekott, Thanks for your response. I noticed that I haven't been hitting reply with quote so I hope others see my response to them hahaha. Yes I can tell that the addictive side has started to kick in! I have started a spread sheet listing everything that I want haha. (Need and wish list) and then the " Honey can I please get this list" lol. So far I feel that each and everyone of you have showed nothing but great welcomes and for that I am truly thankful. I am hoping for a good transition back in and before I get in the air with my turbine, I will fly the EDF a few times to get my skills back down just a tad. lol Its been about almost two years since I have flown. A few go rounds with the EDF and I should be good. Yeah I don't want to go scale at all right now. I want to do just as you and others stated, get something to play around with and learn with. Thanks for the failsafe information. That's why I would like to setup a test stand to start getting these setting setup. I have a Jeti DS-16 just updated it to the 24.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Yes Joe Really!!

They have come a long way from the days when there was a 6 to 7 second lag time in throttle response.
Brother, you got that right. I swear I could send out for a pizza in the time it took my old JetCat P-120 or P-70 to spool up...talk about "Engine Room, Bridge, all ahead Full...aye aye captain, I'm trying!"
Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Brother, you got that right. I swear I could send out for a pizza in the time it took my old JetCat P-120 or P-70 to spool up...talk about "Engine Room, Bridge, all ahead Full...aye aye captain, I'm trying!"
haha well that is good to know that I am entering the turbine community when things have improved and got better!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I have an older p200 that was converted to kero start, I would love to have a new one. I notice the performance like stated above. My new turbines really don't have a lag and you can hear them spool up quick.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I have an older p200 that was converted to kero start, I would love to have a new one. I notice the performance like stated above. My new turbines really don't have a lag and you can hear them spool up quick.
See that's why I can wait to get this thing going? I cant wait to hear it! I live on the AFB here in Hawaii and see the F22's fly over my house every day. Man do they look so good and sound amazing.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 PM

JoeJr, another thing us jet guys do is the rule of fifths.

When you tell your wife how much your jet costs ... divide by five.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.