Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Replacing door hinges.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Replacing door hinges.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing door hinges.

I need to replace a number of the nylon gear door hinges on my Skymaster small hawk and apparently Skymaster did a REALLY good job of installing them as they are proving very difficult to remove from the nice bed of hysol that they are all sitting in. The half of the hinge that is up inside the fuselage is the main issue and the one I've replaced so far involved a right angle attachment on a Dremel tool, a dental mirror and about a half a day's worth of effort to get the hinge out without damaging the fuselage. I tried wedging an xacto blade in between the hinge and the fiberglass but I became concerned I was going to do damage before the hinge popped loose..

I've got a number of these to replace and I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion to make this task a bit simpler.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:03 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Beer. Lots of beer.

It'll also make it less painful if you dremel through the fuselage. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Stick an Xacto Chisel blade in a low (variable) wattage soldering iron.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 PM
tuan lam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
I need to replace a number of the nylon gear door hinges on my Skymaster small hawk and apparently Skymaster did a REALLY good job of installing them as they are proving very difficult to remove from the nice bed of hysol that they are all sitting in. The half of the hinge that is up inside the fuselage is the main issue and the one I've replaced so far involved a right angle attachment on a Dremel tool, a dental mirror and about a half a day's worth of effort to get the hinge out without damaging the fuselage. I tried wedging an xacto blade in between the hinge and the fiberglass but I became concerned I was going to do damage before the hinge popped loose..

I've got a number of these to replace and I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion to make this task a bit simpler.
Go to your local Harbor freight tool get one Hot knife about $6.00
Old 01-22-2016, 05:29 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. The heat may be just what I need to get these things out more quickly. I'll give it a try.