Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fire Safety

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fire Safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 PM
racedrvr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Safety

Hey guys, not new to R/C but interested into getting into turbines. As I go through the process of getting informed on the entire process I have come across a question. The AMA safety code not only requires a fire extinguisher, but also a water based fire fighting system. For those of you at remote fields that don't have running water (I am one of them), what do you use to meet this requirement. I have been to a few places with turbines flying and haven't seen anything present. Is this the exception or common?

I see Indian Fire Tanks has a 5 gallon pump can. Anyone using one of these? http://www.firesafetyusa.com/item.aspx?itemid=1220

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide. I'm sure I'll need more as I get into this!

Don
Old 02-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

racedrvr,
Yes, the AMA Safety Code for RC turbine operation requires a water-based fire fighting system, typically an Indian Pumper or equivalent. These are available from fire fighting outlets such as the one you posted. However, note that you have to be in pretty good physical condition to quickly run to the crash site with the 5 gallon size. Some large jet events utilize a 4-wheeler or Gator to carry the pumper to the fire source. An alternative, used here in the northeast, are several smaller garden-type sprayers or deck stain sprayers which hold a couple of gallons and are much easier to haul. I used a 4 gallon capacity garden sprayer from Harbor Freight half filled to satisfy the requirement. Last season someone donated an Indian Pumper which also was half filled for ease of carrying. Fortunately, none of these were required for my own jet rally or the multiple events that I attended.
The best prevention is to shut down the turbine BEFORE impact which dramatically reduces the probability of a crash induced fire.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

At my club, We as a Club actually provide these, we keep them in the clubhouse, and stage them on the edge of the runway when we are flying turbines. The ones we use are like this, you put water in about 3/4 up the tank, then cap it off and fill it with an air compressor till the needle gets into the green. This extinguisher will keep you in compliance. At our Jet rally we do have a Utility vehicle loaded with water sprayer, as well as having the Fire Dept. present. But for the weekend pilots, this is the way we go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-AME...-/161938959817

http://amerex-fire.com/products/hand...-extinguisher/

Last edited by raron455; 02-05-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:09 PM
racedrvr
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Art and Ronnie. I just couldn't picture anyone running out on the field with a 50+ lb can! I kinda like the idea of a garden sprayer as I already have one that has a harness that can be carried on the back. I wonder if anyone has used the water based foam type extinguisher to supplement the CO2? I think the AMA wants at least 5 gallons present. I have seen guys do demos at events and I never saw any water, just a CO2 bottle.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

I prefer the poly tank sprayer. Its slightly lighter, slightly cheaper, and does not dent. They are all heavy.

Gary
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I hated lugging Indian tanks around at field fires, it was miserable work
Old 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM
stevekott

I have one of these. They are not seen that often because they are no good for electrical fires. But they are extremely effective on a kerosene soaked brush fire. It's the same kind of foam they spray on jet crashes. It's really just a surficant mixed with water that makes it fluffy and sticky. The extinguisher comes with the foam charge in a small bottle then you fill it with water and pressurize it with an air compressor. You can refill it yourself after use, just buy the refill goop for around $20.

You don't want to use it on a start fire, stick to CO2 or Halon/Halatron. But those extinguishers are not that good on a post crash fire. Especially if it's windy.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/10643/selectedVariationId/78185/Amerex-2-5-Gallon-Foam-Stored-Pressure-Fire-Extinguishers?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=27871&gclid=CjwKEAiAluG1BRDrvsqCtYWk81gSJACZ2BCejPaUFkiY 1-_nKACIq9IUT_FPibvgoQQ-BULyS-nHrxoCbKHw_wcB