Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Kingtech ECU Soon to be released!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Kingtech ECU Soon to be released!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Bragger..... or no wait, got it on a switch instead?
Nope its on the trim still but in the DX18 menu you can have it for one click up and one click down.

I have ran into some people that have tried adjusting their Idle by changing the trim on their radio...... Needless to say this is NOT the correct way of doing this and very risky. Helped another guy that was getting receiver errors because he had his trims over 100% also very risky and not right. Allot of people also just install thier engine and dont bother relearning RC... Relearning RC is very important and needs to be done after every time the engine is serviced, repaired, installed with a different receiver or changing radios.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 AM
TPerk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I had changed my trim step so that 8 click is full up trim but I did not go through the learn program after changing the trim step. I take it I should redo the learn program.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Yes, see my previous post on the subject
Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My engine kill and throttle trim are together on a locking switch. I did have my trim set to one click but always worried about hitting it accidentally since my trims are crossed with the elev. and ail. trims on the left stick and the throttle trim being on the right stick where the elev. trim would normally be.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TPerk
I had a my 120 KT shut down on the runway, thank god I was still on the runway. I was getting ready to take off and I was going to try and use the brakes on full and add 3/4 power and then release the brakes to see how the jet would take off, as I got close to 3/4 power the engine just shut down and did not go in to the cool down mode has any one had this problem, I checked the bubble tank to see if there where and air bubble in the bubble tank, there where none. Does ant one have any idea what could have happened? After I cooled the engine down I restarted it and all seem find I got a 5min flight and all worked well.
If you said this was due to trim settings, that implies the turbine was shutdown as "RC off" as if you shut it off on "purpose". How would it do that if you were at 3/4 throttle? The trim has no affect at 3/4 throttle?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 AM
TPerk

Hi Matt, I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I can only go by what Barry said when I called him that day. I did a few test runs on the engine before I took the next flight and all seemed to be good. I have had a few flights since I had the problems, and all seems to be working great. If you have any ideas please let me know. This is my first jet and I have a lot to learn about jet power planes.

T Perk
Old 05-08-2018, 04:22 AM
CAP232S

Hi All,
Hope someone can give me some insight on some observation I had with running the pump using the pump test function of the ECU on my brand-new K160 G2.

I know that the pump runs in after some use and could even need adjustment after about 2 hrs of use as per the manual. Well I decided to run the pump for a few minutes using the pump test function on the ECU to make sure the pump will not get stuck on the maiden due to some machining debris in the gears and just to get the pump to settle. At the same time it would be good to check the plumbing etc on the airframe if all is OK.

So the problem or should I say observation was that when you are in the Pump test function and you initiate the operation, the pumps starts off running very slow with a very low Pw value. You can of course ramp this up by pushing the “increase” button and the pump will accordingly run faster and faster as you push the button. What I have noticed is that when you observe the Pw value at any given speed, low or high, the pump as well as the Pw value is very erratic. You will notice that the Pw value never stays constant at one value but speeds the pump up and then slow it down again so much so that it almost sounds like the pump is faulty. Note I ran this test with kerosene and not letting the pump run dry.

Please can someone confirm that this is normal? I did run the pump for several minutes just to make sure that the pump wasn’t getting stuck or anything like that. I also came across someone on YouTube with a K60 G2 running the pump test procedure and from the audio of the video it did sound like the pump was also running erratic. But I would just like to confirm that this erratic speed of the pump test function is normal.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:23 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CAP232S
Hi All,
Hope someone can give me some insight on some observation I had with running the pump using the pump test function of the ECU on my brand-new K160 G2.

I know that the pump runs in after some use and could even need adjustment after about 2 hrs of use as per the manual. Well I decided to run the pump for a few minutes using the pump test function on the ECU to make sure the pump will not get stuck on the maiden due to some machining debris in the gears and just to get the pump to settle. At the same time it would be good to check the plumbing etc on the airframe if all is OK.

So the problem or should I say observation was that when you are in the Pump test function and you initiate the operation, the pumps starts off running very slow with a very low Pw value. You can of course ramp this up by pushing the “increase” button and the pump will accordingly run faster and faster as you push the button. What I have noticed is that when you observe the Pw value at any given speed, low or high, the pump as well as the Pw value is very erratic. You will notice that the Pw value never stays constant at one value but speeds the pump up and then slow it down again so much so that it almost sounds like the pump is faulty. Note I ran this test with kerosene and not letting the pump run dry.

Please can someone confirm that this is normal? I did run the pump for several minutes just to make sure that the pump wasn’t getting stuck or anything like that. I also came across someone on YouTube with a K60 G2 running the pump test procedure and from the audio of the video it did sound like the pump was also running erratic. But I would just like to confirm that this erratic speed of the pump test function is normal.

I don't recall Pw being erratic, it does vary but it typically isn't erratic on my jets.
  1. Are you testing on the bench or in the jet?
  2. I presume there is zero air in the lines (system) and the pump has been primed properly?
  3. Absolutely zero bottlenecks or soft lines?
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 AM
CAP232S

Hi SkunkWurk,

Thanks for the reply.
As for the questions:

Are you testing on the bench or in the jet?
Testing it on the bench.

I presume there is zero air in the lines (system) and the pump has been primed properly?
Yes all is primed with no air in the system.

Absolutely zero bottlenecks or soft lines?
No bottle necks. Even running the test without filters or shutoff valves etc.

I will try run the pump tonight by using direct supply to the pump and not going through the ECU, this will tell me if the pump is running erratic or the ECU is sending erratic control to the pump.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:40 AM
skunkwurk

Hi SkunkWurk,

Thanks for the reply.
As for the questions:

Are you testing on the bench or in the jet?
Testing it on the bench.

I presume there is zero air in the lines (system) and the pump has been primed properly?
Yes all is primed with no air in the system.

Absolutely zero bottlenecks or soft lines?
No bottle necks. Even running the test without filters or shutoff valves etc.

I will try run the pump tonight by using direct supply to the pump and not going through the ECU, this will tell me if the pump is running erratic or the ECU is sending erratic control to the pump.
Take a video of the test, it's probably something simple. Try to capture the setup on the bench and the ECU.

Do you happen to have a motor test stand? I made one for these scenarios, helps when testing. Also, It may make sense to just run the setup you intend to run in the jet on the bench. ECU (Pw) may show it's perfectly happy running the turbine on the bench.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 05-08-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 AM
CAP232S

Originally Posted by skunkwurk
Take a video of the test, it's probably something simple. Try to capture the setup on the bench and the ECU.

Do you happen to have a motor test stand? I made one for these scenarios, helps when testing. Also, It may make sense to just run the setup you intend to run in the jet on the bench. ECU (Pw) may show it's perfectly happy running the turbine on the bench.
I used a test stand when I ran my very first owned turbine, K60 G2, but have since decided not to bother with that and just install the new turbines I have straight in the airframe it is intended for.
I will post my results soon after running the pump Independently from the ECU. i also have a brand new K120 G2 which I will do the same exercise with but was hoping someone could just give me a quick answer to my concern.

But none the less thanks for the advise thus far. Great bunch of people on this forum.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 AM
CAP232S

Just had a word with one of our local gurus on Kingtech Turbines and he advised that the erratic running during the pump test operation is more than likely because of a loss of feedback from the ecu as the turbine is not actually running during this test and there is no temperatures and RPM feedback to accurately control the pump speed. It does make sense but will still do my own testing tonight.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:04 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is a brushless pump or a brushed pump but on my system I had incorporated a slight throttle curve and found some occasional
turbine pulsing in the air. Throttling back to idle and back up to power would usually clear this. Later I added much more throttle curve
and found the power ramp up to be quit noticeably irregular. On my telemetry feedback for pump voltage I noticed the voltage swing all over the scale
up and down and would never stabilize except around idle. I took out the transmitter throttle curve and left as linear and added the throttle curve in the ECU
; I needed . The pump voltage was smooth up and down the throttle setting and the turbine never run better. This was in a Jets Munt turbine with a
brushless pump and V10 ECU and using Jeti telemetry. Just a thought.

As for running a turbine on a test bed; that is fine but when reinstalled into an aircraft a whole lot of other issues could develop due the confined
configuration and possible kinking of fuel lines if even just a little.

Last edited by stegl; 05-08-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 AM
skunkwurk

A bench test is simply to prove out the systems are working properly, in a controlled environment. It would help you rule out the concern in question, "is it working as expected?" Obviously you need to follow sound install practices once you add the components into the jet, and test it (shake down testing). The key is that you would at least know the components are ruled out, and it's probably setup if something is acting erratically. Also, I typically only bench test if something has been identified as not working right or suspect. I usually install the components into the jet and rarely have any issues.

good luck.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 05-08-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Just my little bit.......I never believe in bench test running nitro/gas or turbines, but this season I decided to make a stand.....to run my 4 new motors....and a good thing I did one of them had a problem with the cooling and made quite a bit of flame which I’m pretty sure would have destroy at the very least the fuse on a brand new jet...so now every new motor will be test run.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM
skunkwurk

Originally Posted by Dansy
Just my little bit.......I never believe in bench test running nitro/gas or turbines, but this season I decided to make a stand.....to run my 4 new motors....and a good thing I did one of them had a problem with the cooling and made quite a bit of flame which I’m pretty sure would have destroy at the very least the fuse on a brand new jet...so now every new motor will be test run.
It's sound practice. I'm glad you caught it when you did. A buddy of mine would say, "that test earned you a free jet!"
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkwurk
It's sound practice. I'm glad you caught it when you did. A buddy of mine would say, "that test earned you a free jet!"
Pretty happy as well...
Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM
CAP232S

Well I can positively conclude that the pump test function and its erratic operation is normal.
I did the test on my K160 pump running it directly off a power source and the pump ran perfectly stable at various voltage settings.

I connected it back up to the ECU and ran the pump test function and again erratic pump operation.

So then I took my K120, also brand new, out the box and did the same test on its pump (Different Pump to the K160 actually). Again using the pump test function on the ECU displayed its erratic pump operation.
I made a video of my experiment but it’s so blatantly obvious that it serves no point in sharing it here.

I am therefore convinced that the ECU Pump Test Function is normal to be erratic as its constantly trying to find some feedback reference for RPM and Temperature which isn’t there as the turbine isn’t running actually.

Thanks for everyone’s input and guidance. Next time I run and check the system will be in a completed installation and hopefully a maiden flight.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 AM
skunkwurk

Thumbs up

Well I can positively conclude that the pump test function and its erratic operation is normal.
I did the test on my K160 pump running it directly off a power source and the pump ran perfectly stable at various voltage settings.

I connected it back up to the ECU and ran the pump test function and again erratic pump operation.

So then I took my K120, also brand new, out the box and did the same test on its pump (Different Pump to the K160 actually). Again using the pump test function on the ECU displayed its erratic pump operation.
I made a video of my experiment but it’s so blatantly obvious that it serves no point in sharing it here.

I am therefore convinced that the ECU Pump Test Function is normal to be erratic as its constantly trying to find some feedback reference for RPM and Temperature which isn’t there as the turbine isn’t running actually.

Thanks for everyone’s input and guidance. Next time I run and check the system will be in a completed installation and hopefully a maiden flight.
Nice job!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reread my comments and don't believe that I conveyed the idea to not do a test run on a test bed BUT that no guarantee that it would eliminate
any problems after installation.
I do have one question though : At any time was the Kingtech service facility contacted for their comments ?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2018, 01:47 AM
TPerk

Hi Cap 232S, you should call Barry at King Tech 1 626 399 7588 he may not answer the phone but He will call you back and he is very helpful with any problems you may be having.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:09 AM
CAP232S

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Luckily there is good local support for KingTech as well.