Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT USA 180 maintenance

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT USA 180 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:17 PM
spike223
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMT USA 180 maintenance

Hello everyone

Anyone knows where I can get my old AMT 180hp maintain.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AMTs require maintenance?
Seriously Im not sure if anyone in the US is still taking care of them.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Send it to AMT Netherlands if it actually need anything done to it. AMT engines seldom need maintenance as they are built bullet proof. Not uncommon for them to do 1000 plus starts before maintenance is even becoming a consideration. I have 8 of them and my original Pegasus from 1997 has never had any maintenance requirement.

The guys at AMT Netherlands will gladly assist you with advice regarding your 180, eventhough they did not manufacture it. All their pumps, ecu's etc. are also compatible with the US made engines. BUT they cannot repair the ecu as the US engines were using a different chip and they don't have it.

If you need any used bits and pieces, give me a PM.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 06-23-2016, 04:38 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you send to AMT NL be ready to pay big bucks for shipping.. Can't get around VAT tax... They are opening all packages and determining value regardless of what you put on declaration.. Kevin T. ( Houston ) said it was gonna be $900.00 for his old USA Olympus to go over.... He passed.... I also understand Carlos doesn't want them either... Bad situation for sure.. If you figure this out, let us know !! Still some us out there !!

Danno
Old 06-23-2016, 06:48 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why doesn't Carlos want to mess with them, you think? Parts availability or something?

Weird.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:09 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Carlos does not work with optic rpm sensor. He says it is to had to work with and when I spoke to him about bearing change in my Olympus he said no thanks. He is great with other engines just not your guy for AMT

Originally Posted by ChuckC
Why doesn't Carlos want to mess with them, you think? Parts availability or something?

Weird.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Fair enough - got to respect a guy that knows and abides by his limits. Likely got bit, now twice-shy.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:09 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Pay a premium and ship to AMT NL, unless you stuff it into the ground, you will recoup the cost through usage.
Get it done right and it will last forever, ask any die hard iron lung user and ask em how many times they have sent motors in for check up.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 PM
Ad Clark
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Nothing like the smell of jet fuel and the sound of an air-start AMT-NL in the morning
Old 06-24-2016, 04:28 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Whoa, Dude...like airstart dude? Wasn't that like, what they used back in WWII and stuff? Let me check my Facebook. Never heard of that dude.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:40 AM
yeahbaby

Hahahaahh yes AIR START!! the dinosaurs of the hobby. However, when was the last time an old iron lung didn't start because the " internal fuel pump, internal EGT probe, kerosene burner etc etc " failed??

Ummmmmm Foooorrrreeevvveeerrrrr ago.......oh wait, everything is external, all you need is a glow igniter or a long handle bic to get em going.

Air goes.....Beewwweeppp beewweeeppp bewweepp .....Propane gets lit.....Poooooffff.....MORE AIR!!!! .....whhhaaaattttttttt!???......MORE AIR,!.....beewwwwweeeeeeèeeeeeeppppppppppppppp bewwwwwwwwpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.......... aaaaaaarrrggghhhh aaarrrraggahhhhhh aaarrrgghhhhhh. ITS AALLIIIVVEEEEEE. IIIITTSSSSS. AAAALLLIIIVVVEEEEEEEEEE.......KILL THE PROPANE,! ...WHAAAATTTTT.?....KILLLL THHEEEE. AAAAAIIIRRRR AND PROPANE . ( like uncle Louis in Christmas vacation.. Daa blessssssssiiinnnnggggggg )....OHH OKKKK,,,,,,,, the the beast settles into a low rumble like well tuned Hemi....

God bless the dinosaurs, they rarely let you down and always make people laugh.

send it to Bennie, it will last a long long time ( user error notwithstanding ) good luck
Old 06-24-2016, 05:59 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
Air goes.....Beewwweeppp beewweeeppp bewweepp .....Propane gets lit.....Poooooffff.....MORE AIR!!!! .....whhhaaaattttttttt!???......MORE AIR,!.....beewwwwweeeeeeèeeeeeeppppppppppppppp bewwwwwwwwpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.......... aaaaaaarrrggghhhh aaarrrraggahhhhhh aaarrrgghhhhhh. ITS AALLIIIVVEEEEEE. IIIITTSSSSS. AAAALLLIIIVVVEEEEEEEEEE.......KILL THE PROPANE,! ...WHAAAATTTTT.?....KILLLL THHEEEE. AAAAAIIIRRRR AND PROPANE . ( like uncle Louis in Christmas vacation.. Daa blessssssssiiinnnnggggggg )....OHH OKKKK,,,,,,,, the the beast settles into a low rumble like well tuned Hemi....
Buck,

Is that how you explain to the passenger's on your Southwest flights how the engines work when you push the gate?? I bet the kids love it !! ... Give it a try !!!

Danno

P.S Me personally, I would be finding the exit !!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:14 AM
spike223

Thanks for your input guys , I really appreciate
Old 06-24-2016, 06:15 AM
spike223

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Send it to AMT Netherlands if it actually need anything done to it. AMT engines seldom need maintenance as they are built bullet proof. Not uncommon for them to do 1000 plus starts before maintenance is even becoming a consideration. I have 8 of them and my original Pegasus from 1997 has never had any maintenance requirement.

The guys at AMT Netherlands will gladly assist you with advice regarding your 180, eventhough they did not manufacture it. All their pumps, ecu's etc. are also compatible with the US made engines. BUT they cannot repair the ecu as the US engines were using a different chip and they don't have it.

If you need any used bits and pieces, give me a PM.

Cheers,

Jan
PM Inbound !
Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 AM
yeahbaby

Ha only the good looking ones from Burbank to Vegas on Friday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTz47Cy-nBg
Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think mine was the last AMT to get done by Carlos. He did a great job , at the time I was glad to pay 600$ for bearing replacement. So now I am good for another thousand starts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	2169439  
Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
I think mine was the last AMT to get done by Carlos. He did a great job , at the time I was glad to pay 600$ for bearing replacement. So now I am good for another thousand starts.
We have to fly our raptors together soon my friend!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1683.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	944.1 KB
ID:	2169478  
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you coming down for the jet rally
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
are you coming down for the jet rally

Won't make whidbey. Need my passport renewed. Hoping for Princeton in September.