Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/5 Skymaster F-16 nose wheel steering

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/5 Skymaster F-16 nose wheel steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:17 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/5 Skymaster F-16 nose wheel steering

Ok guys, what is the secret? Does not work worth a crap. How do you bleed the system? I am sure that is what the problem is.

Someone out there has had to have had this same problem.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey John if you check the Skymaster thread for this kit, I'm pretty sure I remember people talking about this very thing.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:21 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks FenderBean.

Seems a couple have had the same issue and there is no resolution. Bothers me as this is the first Chinese jet I ave ever worked on. To me it is pure ****!!! Why the **** would people be so foolish to give this amount of money for something that works so poorly? I just don't get it.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:23 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have asked myself this many times, my F-14 took a loooot of work to get right.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Hi John,

I search all over and never found any instructions for servicing the system.

The best info I got was talking to Craig South at Joe Nall this year. He suggested the following procedure:

Remove both the servo cylinder and the strut cylinder from the airframe.
Find a suitable container and fill with steering fluid.
Submerge both cylinders in the fluid.
Remove a line from one side of the servo cylinder.
Pump the servo cylinder back and forth to suck in fluid and force any air from that side of the system.
Replace that line and repeat process on other side of system.

I have not tried it. Sound messy but it sounds like it could work.

Hope this helps,
Gary Jones
Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John Redman
Thanks FenderBean.

Seems a couple have had the same issue and there is no resolution. Bothers me as this is the first Chinese jet I ave ever worked on. To me it is pure ****!!! Why the **** would people be so foolish to give this amount of money for something that works so poorly? I just don't get it.
Amazing, huh John. And this is one of the best Chinese brands...imagine what the other ones are like. We had a "top seller" blow another wing off at our last jet rally, third one I think.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:23 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon,

so I pulled mine out and replaced the clear orange lines with solid black to get a more scale look. I bled them with a syringe and pool of steering fluid and it still has play. With the forward caster, even with play it tracks really well so i don't think it's much of an issue. Normally I run about 20% expo on the nose to soften the steering but with the play I left it at 0 and it seems good but have not done a high speed taxi yet...
Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I have also installed a nose steering gyro as well. This also helps in braking. Just a cheap Futaba 240 or 401. Been able to buy for $25 bucks on ebay or other sites as heli guys have no need for that type of gyro any more

Originally Posted by bri6672
Jon,

so I pulled mine out and replaced the clear orange lines with solid black to get a more scale look. I bled them with a syringe and pool of steering fluid and it still has play. With the forward caster, even with play it tracks really well so i don't think it's much of an issue. Normally I run about 20% expo on the nose to soften the steering but with the play I left it at 0 and it seems good but have not done a high speed taxi yet...
Old 07-20-2016, 09:35 PM
kiwijet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would share my experience with the SM A4 hyd nws as mine works a treat I'm guessing must be similar in operation to your F16.

I couldn't get rid of bubbles so swapped the supplied (SM) rams out for UP10 5/16"x 3/4" air rams which worked great. I used Tamiya #500 grade silicon damper oil (green) as fluid. I tried all the different Tamiya grades but the 500 viscosity worked best, tried other fluids as well.

The single UP ram at the servo end is driven by an 8511, to avoid sudden load on the hyd system and servo I run a 1.26 sec servo slow on nws which gives a smooth progressive feel and makes the taxi look great.

As a matter of interest my aircraft weighs 19.90kg fully fuelled and on the Xicoy balancing scales shows a weight on nose wheel of 5.266kg.

Hope this helps!