Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Nozzle to Thrust tube distance...really?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Nozzle to Thrust tube distance...really?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbine Nozzle to Thrust tube distance...really?!

So, I've seen in the tube and read specs from 1/2" to 1.25" and everything in between.

So what is the "best practice" in the field? I have a Skymaster F-18c that I'm trying to polish up for a maiden and I'm stumped on this setting!!??
Old 10-07-2016, 11:27 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

cant go wrong at 3/4-1 inch bubba,, will be fine there. Make sure that measurement is from the end of the PIPE, if the pipe has a large bellmouth, don't take it from the edge of the bellmouth, go from the end of the pipe itself.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dblex
So, I've seen in the tube and read specs from 1/2" to 1.25" and everything in between.

So what is the "best practice" in the field? I have a Skymaster F-18c that I'm trying to polish up for a maiden and I'm stumped on this setting!!??
First, that distance is from the rear opening of the turbine exhaust to the front of the pipe where the beginning of the straight part is - the bell mouth is not included in this measurement - especially if its the large "CARF style bell mouth that is almost like a half-bypass.

I've usually heard that it should be around 3/4" to 1", which is right in the middle of what you've heard.

The main reason for the distance is to provide clearance for additional air from the fuselage to enter the pipe (due to the low pressure created by the turbine's exhaust). If you don't have enough clearance, in my experience, two things can happen. First, the engine/pipe will make a loud whistling sound that is quite annoying to say the least, and second, the engine may shutdown due to an overtemp reading.

I reality, in most planes moving the engine forward or aft 1/2" or so will not significantly change the CG. I'd start with the 1.25" of gap and go from there...

Bob
Old 10-07-2016, 11:50 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
cant go wrong at 3/4-1 inch bubba,, will be fine there. Make sure that measurement is from the end of the PIPE, if the pipe has a large bellmouth, don't take it from the edge of the bellmouth, go from the end of the pipe itself.
Originally Posted by rhklenke
First, that distance is from the rear opening of the turbine exhaust to the front of the pipe where the beginning of the straight part is - the bell mouth is not included in this measurement - especially if its the large "CARF style bell mouth that is almost like a half-bypass.

I've usually heard that it should be around 3/4" to 1", which is right in the middle of what you've heard.

The main reason for the distance is to provide clearance for additional air from the fuselage to enter the pipe (due to the low pressure created by the turbine's exhaust). If you don't have enough clearance, in my experience, two things can happen. First, the engine/pipe will make a loud whistling sound that is quite annoying to say the least, and second, the engine may shutdown due to an overtemp reading.

I reality, in most planes moving the engine forward or aft 1/2" or so will not significantly change the CG. I'd start with the 1.25" of gap and go from there...

Bob
+3
Old 10-07-2016, 04:09 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I have always done 3/4 to 1in and never had any issues
Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't the recommended distance specified in the manual for the turbine?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, 20-30mm in the book. I just like weighing specs and true field data points to make a call.