Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Glider for 100-140N

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Glider for 100-140N

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Turbine Glider for 100-140N

Hello guys,

im looking for a composite turbine glider for 100N-140N size turbines, that can fit inside a Toyota Auris Station.
was looking at the CARF DG-808 which seems to have great performance but not sure if it will fit the car.

any reommendations would be welcome, looking for ARF or RTF if someone is selling something.
Any recommendations?
thanks.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on what you want. The Carf DG is definitely a good choice, but due to its size not very aerobatic or fast. I have just recently acquired a Swift S1 3.2m made by X-Models in Italy ( see http://www.x-models.it or http://www.facebook.com/xmodelshop ) . Due to the smaller wing span and the "double carbon" wing version I expect this to be more nimble and very aerobatic.

Thomas
Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What size turbine are you going to use on the swift 3.2m?
How much was the kit?
Old 10-19-2016, 01:22 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Opus V-jet
Old 10-19-2016, 05:58 AM
bluelevel

@i3dm

I am going to use a JetsMunt 80 but it will also handle a 100

@Henke

He was asking for a glider for a 100 size turbine, an Opus is too small for that

Thomas
Old 10-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
@Henke

He was asking for a glider for a 100 size turbine, an Opus is too small for that

Thomas
Hence the smiley... The point was to second your glider opinion that there are similar "fast" airframes that would suite the 100N engine.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:28 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bluelevel if it is your opinion that the CARF DG is not fast or aerobatic, I would have to ask have you even seen one? I have flown the pure glider version of the original airframe that Carf developed their model from. Unless CARF have radically changed their version, it was as fast as any scale glider as I have ever flown. I have been flying gliders for 45 years so I know something of this subject. It is all carbon construct and to compare it to anything from Xmodels is somewhat surpising.
I3dm if you need a smaller glider to fit in a small car then you really need to be thinking about a smaller turbine. Jet flyers regularly think too big in the engine department when it comes to powering a glider. So a 140 will be quite adequate for the Paritech 1/2 scale Fox. And a 100 would be more than adequate for the DG600 or any other 6 metre composite machines.
You really need to consider airframe strength. Gliders are generally not intended to be powered at the levels we jet modellers often apply.
Gliders are very low drag so need very little power to drive them forward.
You may want to look here:http://www.jettstreamuk.co.uk/fw-models.html
The Swift may fit the bill for size. The ASH 32 would suit a 100 or a 140 (with a little care). These are fast because they have very slippy wing sections and are all carbon construction.
Reagards,

John
Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 AM
bluelevel

@JohnMac

yes, I have seen the original Schaumburg DG-800 as well as the turbine powered Carf version and I have flown everything from a 6m Alpina down to F5B Hotliners or F5D Pylon planes myself. I have owned more than 15 different Carf planes and I do love them, but I prefer a nimble glider that flies almost like a jet over a scale glider with an auxiliary engine. A 6m glider like the DG-800 is too draggy and simply cannot retain the energy as good as a smaller plane. It is also sluggish when it comes to aerobatics. These are simple physics that cannot be denied.

I agree with you that the Carf DG-800 is a fantastic airplane, but after seeing the OPs videos and the airframes he usually flies, I am pretty certain that the Carf is not what he wants, hence my suggestion.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 10-22-2016 at 07:16 AM.