Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The Royal Airforce Aerobatic Team To Get New Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The Royal Airforce Aerobatic Team To Get New Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts
Default The Royal Airforce Aerobatic Team To Get New Aircraft

See below, the Red Arrows to get new aircraft, not any time soon though!

The Hawk T1 replaced H.S. Gnat in 1979

Alistair Powers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37833311

Last edited by JP-1; 11-01-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:34 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Early tranche Typhoons or Hawk T 2s ?

The current Hawks are over 30 years old, but many with new wings and fuselage sections to extend fatigue life, but there is a limit !

They are currently promoting "Best of British" ( we will thrive after Brexit) in China to huge acclaim. No IFR probes so a long transit with many refuelling stops.

Well done the Reds.

David G.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-03-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:44 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time will tell but I don't see where the money will come from for 'new' aircraft. Typhoons (even the early tranches) will, IMO, be too expensive (and maintenance heavy) for the Reds and there aren't enough Hawk T2s in service, so there would have to be another order placed with BAe at a huge cost. Hopefully the bean counters will come up with a solution but at the moment I can't see what it could be. Fortunately there's still a few years left in the T1s yet.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

The Typhoon suggestion was tongue in cheek. I believe the Typhoon costs around £90k per hour to operate, and is highly man power intensive, whereas the Hawk is around £6K, simple and reliable, no contest.

I Think the the obvious answer is the Hawk T2 plumbed for inflight refuelling but with a removable probe and increased oxygen capacity, allowing long range ops to promote UK plc. world wide, refuelling from Voyagers.

The Hawk fits the bill in that it is UK designed, built and powered and, in this case, operated.

The cost of a new fleet of 12 jets is peanuts compared with our foreign aid and benefits bill.

David G.