Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats an early AMT Olympus Turbine in good condition worth?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats an early AMT Olympus Turbine in good condition worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:48 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats an early AMT Olympus Turbine in good condition worth?

I have a chance to get an earlier version AMT Olympus air start turbine, in good condition. What are they worth, ball park?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:29 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vpresley
I have a chance to get an earlier version AMT Olympus air start turbine, in good condition. What are they worth, ball park?

It's very subjective. Some people love AMT Turbines for there reliability.

But for most jet guys it's all about the lightest, fuel efficient, best throttle response, and ease of starting which AMT has none. My AMT Olympus is close to 5 pounds vs most modern 45 pound turbines that are around 3 pounds and don't required a 5 gallon air compressor, propain and glow drive, and the worst part is holding it to Full power until it sets max rpm So loud, to the other poilts

ill be real. Most guys want $1500-2000 for them and they never sell. I know as I want another one my self. I got mine from this site for $900! For me that price made it worth all the hassle of the air compressors and it really makes my Velox XL scream. But with its overly large delta wing it can handle the extra weight. But most airframes can't and it's so massive in diameter

so so what is it worth? If you trust the seller 1k. If anything goes wrong no one in the US will help you. (Maybe Dreamworks now as they sell Theo) but as most will tell you they are throw away motors. They still charge several k for these motors and when my AMT 180 needed bearings it was going to cost me $1600. At that price I could by a good used Kingtec or Jetcat

what do do you plan on putting it in?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep... what he said.

They are super reliable... but very heavy. $1k or less is where they normally sell.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:50 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Yep... what he said.

They are super reliable... but very heavy. $1k or less is where they normally sell.

Lol. Your the one who got me started with Turbines. I still remember waching your video 5 times to figure out how to air start my AMT 180. Never thought 3.5 years later I would be in this deep with jets. What a slippery slope. Lol
Old 11-14-2016, 08:17 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Mike only part I disagree with is AMT still has one of the fastest throttle responses going. Not the mercury so much but my Pegasus engines as Olympus are all lightning fast.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:18 PM
LGM Graphix

One other thing. 1k about right for an AMT USA engine. An AMT NL engine is worth more.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
One other thing. 1k about right for an AMT USA engine. An AMT NL engine is worth more.
....absolutely, don't confuse the AMT USA engines with the AMT Netherlands engines - two very different scenarios.

Jan
Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 PM
mikes68charger

Mike only part I disagree with is AMT still has one of the fastest throttle responses going. Not the mercury so much but my Pegasus engines as Olympus are all lightning fast.

Maybe the newer Purple face AMT Turbines but I flew my buddy's Merlin 180 and the exceration was night and day from my AMT 450

There was a guy selling 8 different AMT Turbines on this site about 2 months back. He had 3 AMT 450. For $1600-1500 and didn't sell one.

I know you are one of the few who really love them and for the price I do to. But most jet guys are looking to spend $1500 on a used AMT 450 airstart and on RCU classification right next to it is a Kingtec 210 for 2k full kero start with great service and less weight - which one dose 95% of buyers go for?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
....absolutely, don't confuse the AMT USA engines with the AMT Netherlands engines - two very different scenarios.

Jan

How do you know which is which?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 PM
LGM Graphix

Mike, I am not arguing that they are less desireable, maybe even undesireable, but my original pegasus from 2000 still has throttle response as good as many new engines. I love them because i have no issue with the size and weight and because i can buy them so cheap now.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:49 AM
mikes68charger

Mike, I am not arguing that they are less desireable, maybe even undesireable, but my original pegasus from 2000 still has throttle response as good as many new engines. I love them because i have no issue with the size and weight and because i can buy them so cheap now.
I agree. One time I went to a different feild to fly with a friend. Didn't know the area. I always keep the Velox in my trailer as it is my easier flying jet. I was there helping a new turbine wavier guy

His F15 was the first jet they have seen. Kingtec 140 kero start. They were amazed.

After a while I pulled mine out. And the questions. And disbelief I would need so much extra crap to get it started was a little off
Old 11-15-2016, 03:54 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
How do you know which is which?
The AMT Netherlands engines have a serial number that will have 'NL' and the later engines will have a purple front cover. Of course the ECU will also be very clearly a Netherlands engine ECU and not an USA or Micro Turbines unit.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 11-15-2016, 04:45 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...about $200. I'll offer $250!!

JK, had to try. I see them hit $1200 all the time. Owners seem to be like a fraternity, the kind that goes to see Rocky Horror Picture Show every Thursday at midnight.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Amt

Yep, own 7 AMT airstarts 2000-2005 vintage, 3 Mercury, 1 pegasus280, 2 Pegasus280SP, 1AMT400............ The AT400 is an animal as a 280? size @40lbs thrust. I put it on a Kingcat prior to warranty running out as original project was DNF, and it leaped off the ground at 50% throttle as compared to the standard SP. Eagle Tree pitot tube clicking off 235MPH only slowing down as I had to turn because out of sight that quick, climbed to 1200' in seconds.

Not knowing the current crop of turbines, I cant help but think the AT400 is still competative in most all categories as an airstart no onboard weight extras, motor/batteries to run igniter and motor. MY cart is my seat with bad knees so I sit and do all things needed, so no one really blinks until the umbillical hookup of which I explain as weight savings versus onboard start...... They all ramp up reliably in under 10 seconds spring/summer/fall, not to mention NEVER a wet start unless I fill with manual valve open DUH, Talk about a clan??? the full kero crowd never talk about standing there helpless without a fire extinguisher, or the day they went home without flying cause of "NO START", spring and fall, reminds me of the RAM circle jerk.....

I just pulled out a vintage Bobcat XL Mercury powered 2 years sitting, replace nicads to A123, filled tanks of which UAT was sitting full 2 years and it ramps and starts as if I flew it yesterday, Got to love the reliability, I dont see that level of piece of mind in any current brands, I cant believe the mixed opinions even on Jet Cat which has been the longest running premium brand, German engineered and they cant even get the reliability or the price inline, IMHO seems like theres a turbine of the EVENT mindset. Cant ever see a need to change until all are in need of service, but I should have a good stockpile of antique parts by then,,,,,,,,,,