Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comparison CARF Tucano & Skymaster Pilatus

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comparison CARF Tucano & Skymaster Pilatus

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 AM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Comparison CARF Tucano & Skymaster Pilatus

I’m interested in getting a turboprop. Looking at either the CARF Tucano T-27 or the Skymaster Pilatus PC-21. I’d like to know if anyone has experience with both and can give some comparison. I’ve read a lot of threads and watched many videos.. Seems like the Tucano has great flying characteristics, much like a pattern plane. I’m thinking of a JC SPT-10 or KT K60. The PC-21 appears to handle those turbines fine, whereas the Tucano will require some possible venting due to heat issues??? Any particular comparison between them would be appreciated. No bashing, I think they’re both excellent…
Old 11-27-2016, 03:28 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Love my Tucano. Upgraded from Jetcat Spt 5 to Kingtech K60 (noticeable difference in verticals). Mine runs fairly hot on the cowl - I think you would have to do something to improve the airflow over the gearbox/turbine if you went with the Spt 10/K100. I tried enlarging the holes around the exhaust tubes to get more air movement. Seems to have helped a bit - really needs temperature telemetry to know for sure.

The Tucano is not a "pattern" airframe in the sense that it has a bunch of rudder/roll coupling. It's a scale airframe and this characteristic translated over from the full scale. You can use a mix to tune some of it out.

If if you go with the Tucano, get electric gear - the air gear is a pita to get to work.

Attached a pic of mine in flight.

PaulD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	2191473   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	2191474  
Old 11-27-2016, 03:43 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw one skymaster and it does require some protection from heat as well.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:18 PM
scrogerio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi PaulD, what propeller you are using on tucano with the K60TP? What is the manufacturer of the electric landing gear?
Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 PM
rbgetz

Hey PaulD, thanks for the info.. really looks nice. You mentioned the K100, I'm not sure Kingtech has released it yet??? I'm leaning more toward the Tucano, but.. man.. that PC-21 looks nice. After i saw this vid of the Tucano, it started to change my mind.

https://youtu.be/oIQBGx2DS0U
Old 11-27-2016, 05:46 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We can fly formation this summer Paul!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2998.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2191486  
Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no experience with the Tucano, but I have flown the the Skymaster PC-21 with the Kingtech K-60 tp engine and a SEP 24x18 three-blade prop. The PC-21 with that engine/prop combination flies very well with good speed and no bad handling characteristics, imo. Heat problems in the engine compartment is an issue unless that area is properly insulated.

Recently sold my Kt-60tp, but will install a the Kingtech 100 tp in the PC-21 when that engine is released (sometime in December 2016).
Old 11-27-2016, 08:32 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

If you run electric gear go with the Behotec.. they are excellent quality... a lot of guys have had good luck with dreamworks electric gear. I like behotecs as they run stepper motors so the controller actually stops them vice letting the end of travel spike in current causing an overamp to shut down..

Looks wise the carf marchetti is my favorite.- The short nose with the turbine stuffed in looks great but is a bit of work. A couple of years ago I chatted with Andy Kane at an event and the only two planes he in the truck were a marchetti and a tutor... he said the marchetti flew the best of the non acrobatic prop planes Carf made and the Tutor was the jet that would fly off of just about any field anytime anywhere..
Old 11-27-2016, 10:10 PM
PaulD

Originally Posted by DrScoles
We can fly formation this summer Paul!

COOL! I'm in!

you going Kingtech or Jetcat. Really happy with my Kingtech.

PaulD
Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 PM
PaulD

Originally Posted by scrogerio
Hi PaulD, what propeller you are using on tucano with the K60TP? What is the manufacturer of the electric landing gear?
Behotec makes an electric version of the gear.

i can't remember the prop size, I'll have to go pull it and check.

PaulD
Old 11-28-2016, 12:14 PM
rbgetz

I haven't heard too much lately on the Kingtech 100 TP, I was wondering if that's still happening... That would be interesting. I have a K120 and k210 and really like them. Also, thanks for the insight on the electric gear. I've also heard good things on the Behotec, but not familiar with their e-gear. I haven't been too happy with other electric gear, but the technology is getting better. The only thing I haven't liked about e-gear is the slower speed. I'd rather get rc gear up and, especially, down quicker. I'm not as interested in scale movement on gear.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:55 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Emailed Kingtech about the release date of the KT-100 tp in October. Received a response from Vera at Kingtech that the engine would possibly be released in December, 2016. According other communication from Kingtech, a 45 size turboprop engine is being considered. I was real happy with the KT-60tp, so looking forward to even more power from the KT-100tp.

Last edited by David Jackson; 11-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 AM
rbgetz

PaulD,

Can you tell me a little more about the issues with the pneumatic gear on the Tucano? I'm interesting in the concern you had with them. rob
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 AM
rbgetz

I was looking at the comparison for size of the two planes and looks like the PC-21 is significantly longer. I see that the PC-21 has the ability to remove the tail section with only a few screws. If this something easy enough to do at the field for easier transportation? I know their F-104 kit has similar feature.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:01 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think its 5-6 bolts, they are pretty easy to reach. The Yak-130 I have requires gymnastic like abilities coupled with small hands and a bore scope to join the fuse, I wouldn't own it if I had to separate it each time!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Mike Haddox
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by rbgetz
PaulD,

Can you tell me a little more about the issues with the pneumatic gear on the Tucano? I'm interesting in the concern you had with them. rob
I tried the air operated Behotec gear on my Tucano with no luck. The struts and wheels are too heavy for the cylinder size. I tried everything including high flow valves and 4mm tubing to no avail. I had mine converted by Down and Locked and never looked back.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Must admit, I have had absolutely no issues with the Behotec air retracts on my Tucano. I love the plane and have now been flying it for more than 4 years using a JC SPT5 v3.

Definately one of my favourite models.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
rbgetz

Just curious, I'm leaning toward the Tucano with the Behotec electric retracts. Would I have to buy the wheels and struts for the tucano separate and then buy the set of Behotec C50 electrics? Or does Behotec have a setup of wheels and struts for the Tucano
?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Mike Haddox
My Feedback: (5)

Just curious, I'm leaning toward the Tucano with the Behotec electric retracts. Would I have to buy the wheels and struts for the tucano separate and then buy the set of Behotec C50 electrics? Or does Behotec have a setup of wheels and struts for the Tucano
?
I bought my retract, struts and wheels from Comp Arf. I then had them converted to electric.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:24 PM
PaulD

PaulD,

i have the Behotec air gear as supplied by CARF. Wish I had of researched the options before I bought the set that was ordered with the kit.

I originally installed a Jettronics air valve and found it just couldn't flow the air required.The pressure drop was enough it restricted the air flow to the retracts. I ended up switching the valve out for a Tom Cook 4mm high flow valve and the gear will now retract reliably. The next problem is they came down too fast so had to install a one way flow control to limit that speed.

The retracts are fine, the root cause is the long gear legs and the really heavy wheels. When assembling the wheels/brakes I weighed them and they are close to 20 oz each.

i have made things work but if I had to do it again, I'd find some different wheels and brakes. I'm not a big fan of electric gear. I think you just trade one problem for another.

cheers,

pauld
Old 12-16-2016, 07:44 PM
rbgetz

Well, I decided on the CARF Tucano, The "Queen's Diamond Jubilee" scheme. Should be here toward the end of January. I appreciate the information. Will be going with the JetCat SPT10.