Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum, gyro and Powerbox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum, gyro and Powerbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:53 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spektrum, gyro and Powerbox

Need some help.... If I'm flying a Spektrum DX-18 G2 and are setting up a new airplane and want more than 12 channels and want a Cortex gyro, I will need to have a 12ch Powersafe RX, a expander box, and buy the Cortex.. It seems to me that a Powerbox Mercury would be the way to go.. 18 channels+, reciever in in the box as well as gyro.. Am I missing something here ? I think I would be ahead of the game for simplicity and set-up ( I think ), as well as money ahead.. I have never owned a Powerbox, but I have installed and set them up in some build jobs. Lot's of stuff in there and I would not be afraid of going route other than any quality and reliability issues (If any), AND the KISS principle I have preached and lived by all these years.. A genuine delimma go'in on here !! I would appreciate any input from you guy's plus or minus... I'm many weeks away from even getting the kit, no hurry here, just trying to get a game plan in my head.

Thanks,

Dan M.

Last edited by rcjetsaok; 11-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 PM
current control
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, Chris Hogg here
all my jets re set up with power box and spectrum they work fine
and give you lots of programming options
cqll me when you are ready
just takes some thought and layout before you start
Old 11-28-2016, 04:47 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Dan I set all mine up with the spectrum power safe receiver and the Xplus. Simple with 18 channels.

To me the power box stuff while nice is just bling and extra cost.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,
Your initial instinct is correct regarding the PB Mercury. I was in the exact same situation as you with my 12X system in a CARF Corsair. I chose the PowerBox Mercury because I have to sync four flap servos among all the other flight controls on the Corsair. It is my first PowerBox and I am very pleased with it from a functionality and ease-of-setup standpoint. The built in setup program walks you through all the steps and the PowerBox forum is available for quick answers to any questions you may have. I have always avoided these things in the past, but with my mixing requirements and the desire to employ a gyro, this for me, was THE choice. Interesting note, look at the price of a PowerBox iGyro SRS and compare it to the Mercury, which has the iGyro in it.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:02 PM
vespino67

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gyro Cortex is much better gyro than iGyro and the configuration and programming is very easy, my setup in my new brand Skymater large Bae Hawk will be Power Box Champion SRS, Power Box bus and a Cortex Pro.

I have 3 PB Royal SRS with iGyro and GPS sensor and 2 Cortex (No Pro version) and I like very, very much the Cortex programinn and performance.

my one cent!