Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Joker build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Joker build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:34 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Pipe mounting

Glued a hardwood block to the back of the former. Used a #3 servo screw to hold the bell mouth tight to the former.
Decided to take a different approch to mounting the pipe. I think DW mentioned something like this.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 AM
Midas D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolute Flawless and painless maiden today

No trim needed what so ever, only the CG as per manual is to far forward so brought that back a notch.
She now fly's inverted on a straight 45 degree angle no problem.

The landings where a bit to Hot cause there was absolutely 0 wind witch ended with a "bouncy" ride but for the rest no issues what so ever.

It's a perfect match with the K85, not an speed monster, but fly's very smooth and predictable.

Just pure fun !!

Only outstanding thing is now the conflict with the futaba 7014 and these McGregor servo's.
Witch i brought down now to an conflict indeed, cause if i stick an other brand of servo's in this receiver there are no issues what so ever....
Who else is flying Futaba with the PNP version and an 7014 receiver and having same sort off strange issues?

Chhers,

Ed
Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try the 7014 with the 6v battery?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Midas D.

Originally Posted by siclick33
Did you try the 7014 with the 6v battery?

Jep i did, no succes unfortunately

Last edited by Midas D.; 07-24-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:30 PM
setxws6

BobB that's the way I'm going to mount my thrust pipe as well. My PNP came with a hardwood block it sits on so it's only right to just anchor it down there.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:06 AM
Midas D.

Originally Posted by setxws6
BobB that's the way I'm going to mount my thrust pipe as well. My PNP came with a hardwood block it sits on so it's only right to just anchor it down there.
Absolute fun flyer, your gonna like it!

Just smal question, witch brand RX-TX are you going to use?

Cheers,

Ed
Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 AM
Bob_B

I fly Jeti
Old 07-27-2018, 12:25 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Bob,
per the manual 20-30mm
Brian

Originally Posted by Bob_B
How far should the k85 nozzle be placed from the pipe face?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:56 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by TUMBLER

Hey Bob,
per the manual 20-30mm
Brian

Yes I see that in the turbine manual, interesting that Kingtech suggests the same distance regardless of turbine size and the they show it from the front of a small bellmouth. It shold be to the front of the actual Pipe.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:22 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

i went 20-30 from the pipe. I agree the picture in the manual is not helpful and could be misleading. I also looked at where other guy’s fuel solenoid ended up in relation to the front former and mine ended up being anout the same.

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Yes I see that in the turbine manual, interesting that Kingtech suggests the same distance regardless of turbine size and the they show it from the front of a small bellmouth. It shold be to the front of the actual Pipe.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't don't own a Joker but I must say it is a very nice plane........ I do have two (2) CARF Tutor's, a Marchetti, a Tucano, a DG800, a Viper, an Ultra Flash and I must say that CARF has a winner in here. Not only the plane flies great, but it's also a great plane for those that are looking for a simple jet that is almost plug and play every time you go flying. I really like the idea of just connecting your batteries, put some kero and don't have to worry about anything else.

Don't need any more planes..... but this Joker is for sure tempting. This plane is such a good deal for the price.

Here a couple of pictures from Skymater68 Joker

Old 08-06-2018, 03:05 PM
pcskyhi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A week ago my Joker had its maiden flight at the hands of one of my flying buddies. The maiden was uneventful. The joker was trimmed out with ease. The only surprise was when my buddy went to landing mode it was like putting on brakes. He stayed on the power until he was over the runway and landed without a hitch. We took out some flap after learning I initially set it up with too much flap (over 80mm). The second flight he flew it was a bit better when he went into landing mode, again landing without a hitch. The third time, once he took off and got to an altitude I was comfortable with, I took a turn on the sticks (my first turbine model). The controls felt sluggish to me. I handed it back over to my buddy who again landed without an issue. After landing, as he was taxiing back to the startup/shutdown area the turbine cut off. The reason was low rpm (Jetsmunt VT-80). Needless to say we were done for the day. Overall, not a bad day but I was nervous the whole time.
Prior to flying it again I needed to make some adjustments as far as the sluggish feeling controls (to me) and figure out why there was a low rpm shutdown on the turbine at idle. My initial setting for the idle in my radio (Jeti) was at 20%throttle. So after speaking with my buddy who also flies Jetsmunt we raised the Idle to 30% throttle and relearned the radio to the turbine. FYI I am using diesel with 5% Kingtech oil.
To get rid of the sluggish feeling I just reduced the expo from 30% to 20%. All my throws were the recommended throws by Dave Wilshire. We also decided to reduce the crow from 8mm to 5mm.
This past weekend we got the Joker out again. Fueled the Joker up and ran it on the ground to see if it would cut off again at idle, moving the throttle from idle to full throttle shaking the Joker and checking for air in the system. After the turbine appeared to be running without shutting down and the fuel system appeared to have no air infiltrating my buddy put it in the air. This time when the transmitter was put in my hands we had a connection, perfect, not sluggish at all. I think I love her (LOL) This time when my buddy landed he said it felt better but he did not cut the throttle until it touched down. He said he is not use to that type of landing style but you would never know it watching him do it. He said flying his Mini T-1 and Ultra Flash he has to cut his throttle before the runway. We only did 2 flights but they were 2 happy flights for me.
I am just curious how are others landing the Joker? Next outing we will be working on getting our Jetis set up for wireless training and should be taking off on my own from here on out. That landing business...well that may take me a bit (confidence) to overcome.
My Joker weighed in at 16.28lbs with a full UAT and a little fuel in the main tank. My CG is 175mm. My friend said it only required a little up elevator when inverted.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Glad you are getting your Joker dialled in. It is important people understand that no set up is perfect for everyone, instruction settings are always to get the model flying safely, then you should adjust to how you like the response to feel.
When I have let other people fly my models in the past they felt they were too responsive and ‘twitchy’ so gradually I have softened my set ups down so others can have a try and feel comfortable. With modern radios you can have different feels at the flick of a switch.
Flap wise I always have as much drag as possible, it is much easier to land with power on to adjust touch down positions, than cutting and glide, where wind has a greater influence on how the airframe decelerates.
Enjoy your Joker, looks like I will finally build one of my own soon

Dave
Old 08-07-2018, 08:25 AM
pcskyhi

I forgot to mention that with the Jetsmunt VT-80 the Joker has seen a top speed of 181mph (Jeti GPS unit). That was not done by me. When it is in my hands it barely sees 100mph. I'll get there eventually.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What’s your Jeti set up on the Joker?? I’m moving to Jeti soon and will start using it on my joker...

QUOTE=pcskyhi;12453290]I forgot to mention that with the Jetsmunt VT-80 the Joker has seen a top speed of 181mph (Jeti GPS unit). That was not done by me. When it is in my hands it barely sees 100mph. I'll get there eventually.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-07-2018, 03:25 PM
pcskyhi

[QUOTE=skymaster68;12453306]
What’s your Jeti set up on the Joker?? I’m moving to Jeti soon and will start using it on my joker...

I have Jeti DS-16 with a 12 channel assist receiver and an R3 receiver for redundancy. The assist receiver has a stabilization system so no external gyro needed. For speed and altitude I use the Jeti GPS and for the turbine telemetry I use the telemtry module required for my engine (Jetsmunt VT-80) made by Xicoy. Not very much Jeti equipment needed. I use the powerbox 7.2 regulator switch to control the power to the receiver. I have no switch between the turbine and turbine battery.
You will love the Jeti system. Most people coming over to Jeti now are going for the DS/DC-24. A couple of people have them at my field and they are very nice but it is hard for me to justify getting one when the 16 can do things beyond my capability. I hope this answered your question.

Last edited by pcskyhi; 08-07-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 PM
kekelala

Originally Posted by pcskyhi
A week ago my Joker had its maiden flight at the hands of one of my flying buddies. The maiden was uneventful. The joker was trimmed out with ease. The only surprise was when my buddy went to landing mode it was like putting on brakes. He stayed on the power until he was over the runway and landed without a hitch. We took out some flap after learning I initially set it up with too much flap (over 80mm). The second flight he flew it was a bit better when he went into landing mode, again landing without a hitch. The third time, once he took off and got to an altitude I was comfortable with, I took a turn on the sticks (my first turbine model). The controls felt sluggish to me. I handed it back over to my buddy who again landed without an issue. After landing, as he was taxiing back to the startup/shutdown area the turbine cut off. The reason was low rpm (Jetsmunt VT-80). Needless to say we were done for the day. Overall, not a bad day but I was nervous the whole time.
Prior to flying it again I needed to make some adjustments as far as the sluggish feeling controls (to me) and figure out why there was a low rpm shutdown on the turbine at idle. My initial setting for the idle in my radio (Jeti) was at 20%throttle. So after speaking with my buddy who also flies Jetsmunt we raised the Idle to 30% throttle and relearned the radio to the turbine. FYI I am using diesel with 5% Kingtech oil.
To get rid of the sluggish feeling I just reduced the expo from 30% to 20%. All my throws were the recommended throws by Dave Wilshire. We also decided to reduce the crow from 8mm to 5mm.
This past weekend we got the Joker out again. Fueled the Joker up and ran it on the ground to see if it would cut off again at idle, moving the throttle from idle to full throttle shaking the Joker and checking for air in the system. After the turbine appeared to be running without shutting down and the fuel system appeared to have no air infiltrating my buddy put it in the air. This time when the transmitter was put in my hands we had a connection, perfect, not sluggish at all. I think I love her (LOL) This time when my buddy landed he said it felt better but he did not cut the throttle until it touched down. He said he is not use to that type of landing style but you would never know it watching him do it. He said flying his Mini T-1 and Ultra Flash he has to cut his throttle before the runway. We only did 2 flights but they were 2 happy flights for me.
I am just curious how are others landing the Joker? Next outing we will be working on getting our Jetis set up for wireless training and should be taking off on my own from here on out. That landing business...well that may take me a bit (confidence) to overcome.
My Joker weighed in at 16.28lbs with a full UAT and a little fuel in the main tank. My CG is 175mm. My friend said it only required a little up elevator when inverted.
Turbine cutting off at low RPM could be due to new fuel pump. You can always run in the pump on the bench with voltage suitable for the pump (with fuel cycling so you don't waste fuel) or run in the engine with your Joker with more flights.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 PM
pcskyhi

Originally Posted by kekelala
Turbine cutting off at low RPM could be due to new fuel pump. You can always run in the pump on the bench with voltage suitable for the pump (with fuel cycling so you don't waste fuel) or run in the engine with your Joker with more flights.
One of my flying buddies suggested that the pump may be breaking in. The engine has 10 cycles on it, 5 of them being flights. Hopefully it is getting to that break in point. Thanks for the cycling suggestion.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:40 AM
Dave Wilshere

I decided it's time for a Joker demo model for myself. My idea of others doing the promotion has not worked out as I hoped :-) and yesterday we had were able to fly on an airfield, but the weather was showery. I took my UF which won't quite go in my van assembled...but the Joker will.
Set up will be the same as the thread starter with a P-100RX and MacGregor servos.
Grabbing moments between orders I've run in the servos, coated all the wood in thinned ZAP 40 Finishing resin and started on the tailplane.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:32 AM
kekelala

Thanks for posting, Dave. I am more than happy to see more pictures and texts of the Joker here. I wish to own one but my hangar is really full. I can’t bear to part with my existing planes as well so I’ll just sit here and watch till I get the chance. :-)

By the way, does the Joker PNP come with the wing fuel tank or just the cylindrical tank?

Have a good one, kind regards, kekelala
Old 08-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Dave Wilshere

The Joker only has/needs one tank.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 AM
pcskyhi

We were able to get out yesterday but unfortunately the weather and visibility were not the best so we only performed one flight. The great thing about the one flight is I actually took off for the first time. The Joker was not squirrely at all and tracked well down the runway just like it does in the air. I probably used way more runway than needed since I was slow to raise the throttle. Taking off also gave me a lot more time on the sticks. the light gray clouds made it hard to track when flying straight and level. The Joker does not have a lot of side profile, sleek airframe. When making the turns the Joker gave you more to look at with the yellow and black popping off the wings. When it came time to land I handed back to my flying buddy/instructor.

Next outing I would like to fly around in landing mode to feel the characteristics of the Joker when on approach.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Midas D.

Hi Dave,

What radio system are you going to use?

I'm still having issues with the combo of futaba and the McGregor servos.
So after a lot of experimenting with different receivers, power supply's and even an new transmitter (futaba) i came to the point of taking them out. (on advise of McGregor itself after contacting them)
The only receiver the Mcgregors worked flawless with was an HobbyKing orange.
My mate is using them as wel with out any problems on a Jet set up.

Did you came across these issue's before?

On this video you see clearly how they for some reason freeze.
On all other brands then futaba they just worked without any problem.

Very strange isn't it?

cheers,

Ed
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 AM
Dave Wilshere

Ed

Will start on JR DMSS, then may put my Core in it. I have sold lots of servos, I can’t pin point any that use Futaba as its not something I like! All my guys fly JR, but I would have thought if there was a compatibility issue with Futaba I would have heard.

Dave
Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Midas D.

As per McGregor they never did test's in combination with Futaba, so they advised me to take them out and send them back.
Witch is a pitty cause it's basically taking the whole lot apart and start almost all over again.

Apparently there where issues with Futaba and high-tech in the past as well, hmmm, think i'm seriously might start thinking about swapping to different brand of radio...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.