Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First time Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First time Jet

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time Jet

First. I've been flying since 2000 or so. Mostly Giant Scale props. I've been flying a heavy P-47 and some other warbirds. Additionally, I own several ducted fan jets. Finally....I've flown others jets here and there so I'm aware of the lag etc etc. I'm trying to finally get my Turbine Waiver this summer and fly. I'm going to do all the standard AMA requirements so that isn't an issue.

I have been sloooooooowly converting a Falcon 120 to a nice glassed jet with Dreamwork trailing link gear (air). But my time has been hijacked from life responsibilities so that process isn't moving as fast. I'm looking to get something more ready to fly with the intent to eventually move thing over to my JL 1/8 F16...which also needs a little work.

I'm looking for a nice trainer sport jet in the $2k range, can be used, but not abused. RCU classifieds stinks now so that doesn't help......Things I'm not interested in....Twin boom jets (I already have one), Reaction 54, Ventrix..those styles just don't do it for me at the price points they are

My current gear
Jet Central Rabbit VT-90 (propane start) with ZERO runtime.
I have lots of JR8411 servos
Smart Fly powerxpander/regulators
Plenty of LION/LIpoly batts.
I have some kind of gear/gear door sequencer (I don't recall the brand but it worked fine on the F-16 when I messing with it)
JR10x on 2.4 and a JR12X
Sullivan Skywriter Smoke pump
Misc jet accessories, like festo fittings, lines, UAT, brake valve
DW trail link gear (they may fight other jets than the F120?)
Details 4 Scale A-4 fuel tank pod. I was going to use this on the F120 and F16 for smoke

I'd like some thoughts from those that have more experience as most of the sports jets look pretty similar.
Pilot Predator (Tony said my turbine would fit) complete kit $2500 approx. not complete in the $1999 range
T-1 Mini (not sure of the complete cost or if my turbine would fit)
Pilot Dolphin (heard mixed reviews on this plane in the tail area)
Sparrow (higher price point)
Just do a foam jet but cost with a Kingtech turbine is higher

Jets I do like, but appear to be outside my budget or not quite complete enough
Scorpion
DV8R (too big for my turbine though)
Panther military jet (not sure it would be good as a first nor typically complete, but I do like it)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetpea01
Panther military jet (not sure it would be good as a first nor typically complete, but I do like it)
You start messing with Kerosene and the smell is going to make you feel like old times again plus these things are terribly addicting....

I'm not going to get into most of your questions just yet, other than to say that the F9F Panther has some bad flying habits from what I was able to find out. I wanted to get my brother something and he really liked the Panther as well. Everyone I talked to said they're hard to fly and have some bad habits like tip stalling at the drop of a hat. So I got to digging around and folks almost always sing the praises of the F9F Cougar with the swept wings, so that's what I got him. We've not flown it yet, but guys say it fly's like a trainer, easy to land and will do all the aerobatic stuff you'd expect from a military jet model.

If that interests you at all, check out the BVM/JL PNP Cougars. The one I got is really impressive with the quality of the model, detail and finish.

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-23-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend (who has the title of being the first jet flyer in my area) who flies a DV8R with a 20lb turbine. It weighs 43lbs at takeoff. It takes a minute for it to bet up to speed but once its there there is nothing to it, flies beautifully, just like a big pattern ship. I'm guessing top speed is around the 150mph range. In fact, he let several people fly this jet on a buddy box (its what got me hooked on jets). Not sure why he put a 20lb turbine on this jet.

Not saying that you should follow his steps, just saying that don't rule it out, it can be done successfully.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 AM
sweetpea01

I talked to TBM back when they had the DVR. I know it was doable on the Rabbit, but not optimum. I'd prefer something with a touch more reserve. I don't want to fly full throttle all the time. I actually like using the left finger on the remote

I'm open to suggestions, my list wasn't all encompassing. I'm just trying to find something out there that will work with this size turbine, get me in the air this summer and not break the bank entirely (I know, tough in the jet world). But I'm finally ready (mostly financially) to do this!!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 AM
sweetpea01

Originally Posted by Zeeb
You start messing with Kerosene and the smell is going to make you feel like old times again plus these things are terribly addicting....

I'm not going to get into most of your questions just yet, other than to say that the F9F Panther has some bad flying habits from what I was able to find out. I wanted to get my brother something and he really liked the Panther as well. Everyone I talked to said they're hard to fly and have some bad habits like tip stalling at the drop of a hat. So I got to digging around and folks almost always sing the praises of the F9F Cougar with the swept wings, so that's what I got him. We've not flown it yet, but guys say it fly's like a trainer, easy to land and will do all the aerobatic stuff you'd expect from a military jet model.

If that interests you at all, check out the BVM/JL PNP Cougars. The one I got is really impressive with the quality of the model, detail and finish.
The BVM PNP's are a little out of my price point at this time for what I have in mind as a starter Jet. Nice looking, complete birds. I do like F-18/F-15/Mig-15 (heck pretty much all Military Jets).
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by sweetpea01
I talked to TBM back when they had the DVR. I know it was doable on the Rabbit, but not optimum. I'd prefer something with a touch more reserve. I don't want to fly full throttle all the time. I actually like using the left finger on the remote

I'm open to suggestions, my list wasn't all encompassing. I'm just trying to find something out there that will work with this size turbine, get me in the air this summer and not break the bank entirely (I know, tough in the jet world). But I'm finally ready (mostly financially) to do this!!!!
Okay, bit of another suggestion Sam; with your experience handling higher wing loading models like your P47, jets won't be that big of an issue except they can move so damn much faster. That said, I'd suggest that you do not need what might be called a "trainer" and the bad thing about those models is once you get your Waiver, they're boring....

If you haven't, take a lookt at that Cougar; PNP, 100N so your Rabbit should do the trick at Sea Level, I put a 120 in this one as our field elevation is 4500'. You've got very little to buy except the radio gear with one of these models and the engine which you already have.

Cougar 1:5.8 Scale
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Zeeb

I was typing while you were.... lol

One other reason I was talking about the Cougar is that you can get one for $6300 and that includes shipping. All you'll need is an rx and batteries.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Zeeb

The absolute least expensive way to get into a turbine is you buy a nice used one. Kentucky jets is coming up next month, if you could get down there you'll at least see a BUNCH of jet models, meet some great people and maybe find a nice used turbine for sale....
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM
sweetpea01

I'm heading to the Caymans the week after, so I can't go for the whole event (can't take off work that close together) but I was hoping to attend the weekend. I really wanted to fly at it this year, only if I get a jet and some time in first. Right now I can't see plunking $6k for a plane but maybe I'll have to rethink. I have all the radio gear/batteries/turbine (only thing I'm missing is a gyro, if I even need it). I don't mind installing things for the build either. I just know if I want to fly this summer I won't be able to "major" modifications so something that is semi-put together and I just have to go through was peaking my interest.

And I agree, I am afraid I'll get bored quickly with something like T-1/Viper jet/Predator. But I don't want to jump in over my head either until I'm solid on turbine operations. My local help is limited (or least I currently only know a couple folks in the immediate area).
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmmm $2k for a RTF used jet minus turbine..... sounds a little light. Not impossible I'm sure, but you should be close. If you added another $1k, even better $2k, you'd be in a better spot.

Get with some people to help you and you'll be fine! Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 AM
sweetpea01

I was basing that price point off the current smaller "sport Jets" They are in the $1999-$2500 range. I don't think my current budget is going to stretch must past $3k without shuffling things (or waiting longer). I'm not going into any debt to fly planes, never have.

I saw a BVM Mig15 and F86 used on RCU classifieds. I've flown a seriously underpowered Mig15 EDF (brushed motor) long ago. It wasn't overly fast but you had to watch everything closely as it was underpowered and wanted to stall all the time, let alone the vertical sucked. Not sure that translates entirely to a turbine as far as ease of learning.

I wish there were more Turbine guys local.....BTW, I'll be flying on a Taxiway on a Military Base.....so its wide and really long, which helps with landing mistakes (sometimes)

So assume I up my projected budget......I still don't see much of anything in that range new, and used....I prefer to see in person vs spend that kind of money on someone I don't know. There are folks here on RCU I would trust, but not many.

Last edited by sweetpea01; 04-23-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out

HSD ECO PNP - Link Here
or
HSD Mirage PNP - Link Here
or
HSD all fiberglass MB-339 PNP Link Here if you don't like foam

All are less than 2k with less than 100 priority shipping (or if they're still doing free shipping)

the VT-90 will work in all 3, might be overpower for the ECO Viper but there's always controlling the go stick

Last edited by erh7771; 04-23-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

This is why we love RCU!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:32 AM
sweetpea01

I really appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to decide what to do. Warm weather is finally approaching the Ohio area!

I just saw that many of the HSD jets with the ACE turbines are on sale under $2k. I think I'd prefer the Kingtech if I go foam route. I think I'd save my Rabbit for the JL F16 I have if I went foam as well.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now there is a Turbinator with everything minus Turbine on the rc groups classifieds for $2100-Not a bad deal Scotty
Old 04-24-2018, 09:42 AM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

If you don't mind ugly get a shockjet. I have one with a vt100 in it. It was an inexpensive way for me to get stick time with my Rabbit.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I know you said no twin boom but it's hard to beat a bobcat xl. Much better jet than the falcon 120 and I've seen them well under 2k rtf less turbine. In fact i paid less than 2k for mine. I also paid under 2k for my CAI raptor, bvm kingcat, a reaction 54 that was turnkey with pst600, and just picked up an old skymaster F15 for 800 bucks (Canadian).

I've seen the original flash in your price range but honestly if I were you I'd just finish you f16 and fly it. Keep it light to start. No smoke or extras. Many in the jet world cut their teeth with the 1/8 F16's. They area very easy good flying jet.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM
sweetpea01

Originally Posted by GSR
Right now there is a Turbinator with everything minus Turbine on the rc groups classifieds for $2100-Not a bad deal Scotty
Originally Posted by junkjet
If you don't mind ugly get a shockjet. I have one with a vt100 in it. It was an inexpensive way for me to get stick time with my Rabbit.
So not to be rude.......but no. these fall along the lines of planes I dislike the look of (in my original list). I just can't spend hard earned money on something that doesn't excite my senses, even if they are affordable or easy to fly.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:30 AM
sweetpea01

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I know you said no twin boom but it's hard to beat a bobcat xl. Much better jet than the falcon 120 and I've seen them well under 2k rtf less turbine. In fact i paid less than 2k for mine. I also paid under 2k for my CAI raptor, bvm kingcat, a reaction 54 that was turnkey with pst600, and just picked up an old skymaster F15 for 800 bucks (Canadian).

I've seen the original flash in your price range but honestly if I were you I'd just finish you f16 and fly it. Keep it light to start. No smoke or extras. Many in the jet world cut their teeth with the 1/8 F16's. They area very easy good flying jet.
I thought about doing just what you said....finishing the F-16 and flying that. My problem is the gear doors, fins and some other details are not installed (or don't fit quite right and need mods). So this means spending the summer finishing the jet vs flying a more complete jet. I could see getting a bobcat if I can find one, wouldn't be my first choice though. I've flown a King Cat and a Bobcat in the past (others planes) so I'm familiar with them. My Falcon 120 when finished and glassed would be close to a bobcat.....but again, I ain't finished with it. This is my attempt for the Jet community to help me out find something I can get in the air quickly at a reasonable price, but still looks good (by good I mean aggressive, rugged, etc)

I know, I'm asking alot
Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 PM
LGM Graphix

Leave the doors and crap off of it for now and just fly it. Keep the weight down and simplify. After a season of flying it then do it the way you want if you love it. Chances are though after a year with that jet you'll want something bigger anyway so my honesty advice would be keep saving your coin. Finish the 16 the simplest and lightest you can and go fly the hell out of it. Then by the jet you really want.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Leave the doors and crap off of it for now and just fly it. Keep the weight down and simplify. After a season of flying it then do it the way you want if you love it. Chances are though after a year with that jet you'll want something bigger anyway so my honesty advice would be keep saving your coin. Finish the 16 the simplest and lightest you can and go fly the hell out of it. Then by the jet you really want.
How do you think a 1/8 f-16 would fly with out any of its doors?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:01 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by funflyerf4
How do you think a 1/8 f-16 would fly with out any of its doors?
they fly perfectly fine. I've seen tons fly without doors. The tamjets one, cermak, even the yellow aircraft A model didn't have doors.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:19 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not consider a hotspot. It is a very nice trainer jet and will fly pretty good on your VT90 and it will get up and go. They are nice looking and they are built like tanks. I have one that I flew for about 2 years and it took a beating but it kept on going. You can find one on here I do believe for 2200 with motor. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-Jetcat-P-120

Patrick
Old 04-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Eaglepilot2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you’ve got one, but I’ve got an Avonds F-16 that’s a little bigger at about 1/7 scale ready to fly with a brand new Kingtech 120 for sale. I can’t list it because of the classified situation. I’d sell it without the engine for $2000. It’ll be at the First in Flight Jet rally in Wilson NC next month.
FWIW.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I’m kind of in the same boat, with a similar budget. I’ve been going back and fourth between the HSD Super Viper and the T-1 Mini. I was also going back and fourth between the Swiwin 60B and going with the Kingtech 70. I finally decided on the Kingtech and got it but the HSD SV has been out of stock and isn’t scheduled to be back in stock until June. Now I’m taking another look at the T1 Mini, but it ends up being quite a bit more expensive than the SV and obviously a lot tougher to fix a composite. Maybe I’ll just save up a little more and get the T1 Mini, I’d rather have it anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.