Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Big Sky
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Not sure that's perfect yet either, still messing with it. I did move the brake channel on the receiver to aux 3 instead of the x plus channel, They seem better, but still cant seem to get them to come on gradually as the air brakes do on my other jets. when I roll up on the right leaver, Which is assigned to be for brakes, at a certain point you can here them snap, and they are dragging, but as I roll the lever up or back, the drag seems the same, until they snap off again. trying to get them to come on easy and get progressively stronger as I roll up on the leaver till the lock, Tried messing with travel control, but when it gets to low they don't come on at all,I cant seem to make that happen, asked previous owner if he pulled the magnets and he said he cant recall. I have another question that you or someone else may have the answer to, Watched Martin Pickering on you tub with the electron GS200, And in the video he mentions that you can Y harness the rudder and steering together, and not have gyro steering affect rudder on the ground, I would like to do this if possible. All my channels on the 12120 receiver are used up, and I would like to free up aux 5 which is the channel I am using for steering so that I can use that channel for a gain channel to power my igyro. Any body know how to do the Y harness thing so gyro steering wont have rudder influence? Whew, That a mouth full, sorry
Old 04-25-2020, 01:09 PM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

From the video, I'm not sure you can use the gyro assisted steering without affecting the rudder. Shouldn't make a difference as they are usually coupled on the ground anyway? When the gear is retracted, I'm assuming the gyro for steering is turned off in the controller so the rudder will operate normally but that's something you need to confirm.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=Big Sky;12599866]Yes, Not sure that's perfect yet either, still messing with it. I did move the brake channel on the receiver to aux 3 instead of the x plus channel, They seem better, but still cant seem to get them to come on gradually as the air brakes do on my other jets. when I roll up on the right leaver, Which is assigned to be for brakes, at a certain point you can here them snap, and they are dragging, but as I roll the lever up or back, the drag seems the same, until they snap off again. trying to get them to come on easy and get progressively stronger as I roll up on the leaver till the lock, Tried messing with travel control, but when it gets to low they don't come on at all,I cant seem to make that happen, asked previous owner if he pulled the magnets and he said he cant recall. I have another question that you or someone else may have the answer to, Watched Martin Pickering on you tub with the electron GS200, And in the video he mentions that you can Y harness the rudder and steering together, and not have gyro steering affect rudder on the ground, I would like to do this if possible. All my channels on the 12120 receiver are used up, and I would like to free up aux 5 which is the channel I am using for steering so that I can use that channel for a gain channel to power my igyro. Any body know how to do the Y harness thing so gyro steering wont have rudder influence? Whew, That a mouth full, sorry[/

some Electric brakes (not electron) have static magnets to hold the brake disk until the electro magnetic overcomes the static magnet and applies the brake force. In order to fix this you have to remove the tiny little magnets from the wheel hub. You will not be able to get smooth proportional braking with the magnets installed. Based on your description of the snapping sound I’d bet you have electric brakes with the static magnets. -Tom
Old 04-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Big Sky

[QUOTE=Tip22v;12599875]
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Yes, Not sure that's perfect yet either, still messing with it. I did move the brake channel on the receiver to aux 3 instead of the x plus channel, They seem better, but still cant seem to get them to come on gradually as the air brakes do on my other jets. when I roll up on the right leaver, Which is assigned to be for brakes, at a certain point you can here them snap, and they are dragging, but as I roll the lever up or back, the drag seems the same, until they snap off again. trying to get them to come on easy and get progressively stronger as I roll up on the leaver till the lock, Tried messing with travel control, but when it gets to low they don't come on at all,I cant seem to make that happen, asked previous owner if he pulled the magnets and he said he cant recall. I have another question that you or someone else may have the answer to, Watched Martin Pickering on you tub with the electron GS200, And in the video he mentions that you can Y harness the rudder and steering together, and not have gyro steering affect rudder on the ground, I would like to do this if possible. All my channels on the 12120 receiver are used up, and I would like to free up aux 5 which is the channel I am using for steering so that I can use that channel for a gain channel to power my igyro. Any body know how to do the Y harness thing so gyro steering wont have rudder influence? Whew, That a mouth full, sorry[/

some Electric brakes (not electron) have static magnets to hold the brake disk until the electro magnetic overcomes the static magnet and applies the brake force. In order to fix this you have to remove the tiny little magnets from the wheel hub. You will not be able to get smooth proportional braking with the magnets installed. Based on your description of the snapping sound I’d bet you have electric brakes with the static magnets. -Tom
Yes I do, There JP Gear and JP wheels and brakes
Old 04-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Tip22v

The magnets are pretty easy to pop out. Just pull the wheel apart, use a punch to pop out the three tiny magnets. -Tom
Old 04-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Big Sky

Which gyro setting do I have to change in the controller to correct my steering gyro, when I push the nose right the steering goes right also the same when nose left, steering goes left, should be other way a round correct?
Old 04-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Tip22v

Which gyro setting do I have to change in the controller to correct my steering gyro, when I push the nose right the steering goes right also the same when nose left, steering goes left, should be other way a round correct?
To change the gyro effect direction reverse the gain to the negative. E.g. if the gain is 30, make it -30.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Big Sky

ok, Ill give it whirl, pulled the magnets on the brake by the way, MUCH BETTER!
Old 04-28-2020, 02:03 PM
Big Sky

ok that worked, Tell me something real quick, In steering set up there is GAIN, And Gyro Gain, My Gain is on -20%, Whats the difference in the two gains, or should I say why two gains
Old 04-28-2020, 03:14 PM
Tip22v

The “gain” setting is really misleading, has nothing to do with the gyro. “Gain” is really an Endpoint adjustment for nose steering.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for doing all the work you did showing us how to set up or units Tip22v. I have the Electron gear and G200 unit. Is the setup the same?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:37 PM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkF
Thanks for doing all the work you did showing us how to set up or units Tip22v. I have the Electron gear and G200 unit. Is the setup the same?
Yes same unit. Have you watched the video? Very well explained.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Tip22v

It’s pretty much the same with the Electron GS-200, except you can’t adjust the cutoff amperage, it’s preset by electron to match your specific model of Electron retracts. Also, Electron wheels/brakes don’t have those annoying magnets to remove. -Tom
Old 04-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Afterburners
Yes same unit. Have you watched the video? Very well explained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nJzwbkBpKY&t=1511s
+1, I agree this a very well done video, i watch it every time I need to adjust or setup a new unit
Old 04-28-2020, 05:13 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I hadn't seen that video before. Perfect.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:24 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
It’s pretty much the same with the Electron GS-200, except you can’t adjust the cutoff amperage, it’s preset by electron to match your specific model of Electron retracts. Also, Electron wheels/brakes don’t have those annoying magnets to remove. -Tom
So you know not all LG15 are open to adjust the cutoff amps......I got mine from Xicoy before Dirk had them, when they are sold with a retract set they are not adjustable...at least it was that way when I got mine.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Dansy
So you know not all LG15 are open to adjust the cutoff amps......I got mine from Xicoy before Dirk had them, when they are sold with a retract set they are not adjustable...at least it was that way when I got mine.
Good point The first one I bought was GS-200 that I got for my Electron retracts, I bought it from the Electron Website. The second one I bought was a LGC-15 and I bought that one from the Xicoy website (like you, this was well before Dirk carried them). I did not buy it with a set of gear, just bought it by itself. When I got the second one it was locked, could not change the amperage cutoff. So I reached out to Gaspar and he hooked me up with a file that I downloaded to the unit, which unlocked the Amperage Cutoff settings. The other two units I bought from Dirk, and they both came unlocked. Yes, if you buy one of these units as part of a package deal that includes retracts it will probably come preset to those landing gear. However, if you buy stand alone it should be unlocked. - Tom
Old 04-29-2020, 02:15 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

On a DX-18 Gen 2, with x-plus set on, channels 1-12 are fully proportional and 13-18 are Not. Most folks assign On/Off actions to channels 13-18. Personally, I like to keep the Gear Switch on Channel 5, even though it is On/Off. Then it is the same with all my other planes.

Also, with a PBox (e.g. Mercury SRS) to activate the upper channels in the PBox, one has to set the PBox's protocol to DSMX2 vs. DSMX. This activates all 18 channels in the Pbox.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Len Todd
On a DX-18 Gen 2, with x-plus set on, channels 1-12 are fully proportional and 13-18 are Not. Most folks assign On/Off actions to channels 13-18. Personally, I like to keep the Gear Switch on Channel 5, even though it is On/Off. Then it is the same with all my other planes.

Also, with a PBox (e.g. Mercury SRS) to activate the upper channels in the PBox, one has to set the PBox's protocol to DSMX2 vs. DSMX. This activates all 18 channels in the Pbox.
according to Spektrum channels 13-18 are proportional, they just have higher latency and lower resolution than channels 1-12. When I was running my jets on a DX-18 I was using channel 13 for flaps and I can assure you my flaps were not on/off. -Tom
Old 04-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
according to Spektrum channels 13-18 are proportional, they just have higher latency and lower resolution than channels 1-12. When I was running my jets on a DX-18 I was using channel 13 for flaps and I can assure you my flaps were not on/off. -Tom
I guess I was a bit too quick. Speed Killzzzzzzzzzz. I meant to say Cannels 1-12 are "Fully Proportional" and the rest are not "Fully Proportional" The resolution is in fact reduced on 13-18 which basically makes them only good for on and off functions. The Spektrum manuals clearly says not to use these channels for control surfaces.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:08 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Len Todd
I guess I was a bit too quick. Speed Killzzzzzzzzzz. I meant to say Cannels 1-12 are "Fully Proportional" and the rest are not "Fully Proportional" The resolution is in fact reduced on 13-18 which basically makes them only good for on and off functions. The Spektrum manuals clearly says not to use these channels for control surfaces.
No worries I'd like to get this thread back to the subject of the LGC-15 and leave the Spectrum specific details to the folks in the Spectrum threads. Thanks! -Tom
Old 05-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Big Sky

I am trying to get brake assist when turning left or right. When I give right steering input the right brake grabs good, when I give left steering input, I get very little brake force on the left brake, any ideas ?
Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM
Dansy

I am trying to get brake assist when turning left or right. When I give right steering input the right brake grabs good, when I give left steering input, I get very little brake force on the left brake, any ideas ?
‘Your simply asking way too much of these less then perfect that JP has.......even with the LG15 those brakes are not very good.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:46 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, so I have read this thread looking for information on the install of this unit. Thanks to all that have contributed, it was mostly uneventful. The problem with mine is, the until was delivered as if it was part of some set, I do not have the "motors" menu and therefore cannot adjust it for my JP gear. I have been in contact with Xicoy and they gave me a .txt file to add to the micro sd card to unlock these menus. Unfortunately, my recent luck in the hobby has kept it's streak going. I can not upgrade with the card, the reader has been determined by Hector at Xicoy to likely be the culprit. I simply cannot use the card slot. So, I have to either send it back to my retailer (email has been sent), send it back to Spain, or leave it alone and just trust that it won't burn up the JP gear in my Flash Evo in it's stock mode. Any other suggestions from the brain trust?

Thanks in advance...

Tom M
Old 05-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Dansy

I would sent it back....either to Spain or the store....

The risk is too great....you could burn one motor down and 2 up that refuse to go out or any other combination while in flight....if they don’t fail on the bench...First.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.