Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
The Castle BEC comes set at 5 VDC output. I have a Castle Link but it may not be a Version 3, which is the current version. I used the one I have now to set the ESC in my Blade 180 Heli. Did you get a Version 3 to change your output voltage? Or, I am wondering if my Castle Link will work. Got any idea on that?
Len,
Sorry for the slow reply here, I missed this post and just saw it today. I have an older Castle Link (4-5 years old) that I used to program these little BECs, but this past Fall I could not find it so I ordered a new Link (v3) so now I have two (one to use while I'm looking for the other one) You should be able to use the Link you have to adjust the voltage. -Tom
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v

Here is what the brake limit page looks like, I have mine set to 100% for both. I use the mix in the radio to limit the overall brake force, you could limit it here instead.

I don't remember the difference between Gain and Gyro Gain, will need to review the manual and update this post. However, these are my settings that work well.

Click the Change button to select Jeti UDI, Futaba S-Bus etc.

I recommend starting with .5 amps on the JP electric retracts, I had to bump up the mains to .6 to get them to retract consistently. Be very careful if you power this unit via 2SLipo as the JP Retract motors can only handle 7.5 volts, ask me how I know that! With 2SLipo I use a regulator set to 7.5v, another option is 2SLiFe, which does not require a regulator.
Not sure if things have changed in the past year, but according to my JP gear controller that I received with my Rebel HOT that has JP gear pre-installed, it can accept 7.4-8.4 volts input, and I received this from Dirk at Pacific Jets in an email:
"Just talked to JP and their controllers DO NOT HAVE REGULATORS BUILT IN. Their gear motors operating voltage is 7.4 - 8.4V. The motors are stopped when a regulated amperage is met"

Old 12-12-2019, 04:38 AM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bodywerks
Not sure if things have changed in the past year, but according to my JP gear controller that I received with my Rebel HOT that has JP gear pre-installed, it can accept 7.4-8.4 volts input, and I received this from Dirk at Pacific Jets in an email:
"Just talked to JP and their controllers DO NOT HAVE REGULATORS BUILT IN. Their gear motors operating voltage is 7.4 - 8.4V. The motors are stopped when a regulated amperage is met"
I get the first part about regulators not being present as well as the operating voltage, but what does the last part about motors stopping and regulated amperage mean?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by T3chDad
I get the first part about regulators not being present as well as the operating voltage, but what does the last part about motors stopping and regulated amperage mean?
The regulated amperage, is part of setting up the LG15. Like 1 amp or .75 ect....depends on the gear.

All electric retract....since they don’t have a micro switch to know when to switch the motor off, used a the amp as the factor, when the controller feel that amperage it stop the motor, then you always a small noise after....that’s to release the tension....to unload the motor...also setup in the controller.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:29 AM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you....it's clear now.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 AM
bodywerks

That's correct. JP is around 1 amp peak for shutoff, but I believe it's suggested to start around a half amp and work up from there.
add much as I know Dirk is reputable, I fear he may be mistaken on the jp voltage value. Luckily, I have a regulator handy that I can set to 6 or 7.4 volts.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Just FYI if you have a heavier gear the Xicoy gear controllers have a higher AMP version available upon request if need be. I will have to check on the LG15 but I know this to be fact for the 12/13 versions.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

My JP Gear controller was regulated to 7.5 VDC output. While the Input could be as high as 8.4 VDC, the output always measured at 7.5 VDC. Unless JP changed something in the last two years, it should be the same. I measured mine just before I put in the LGC 15. My JP controller went in the trash a long time ago otherwise I would go check it again to make sure I remembered it correctly. But a good check for anyone would be to measure what you have on the bench before you install it. IMHO, that applies to any powered device, anytime something is changed.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Tip22v

I cannot not say anything about any of the JP controllers that I don't own, however I own two of V-1 versions and when I put a volt meter on the retract connector and active the retracts the voltage output is 7.53v, this is with a fully charged 2S lipo connected (8.4v), therefore the controller is definitely limiting the voltage to the retract motor. Maybe there is no actual regulator built in, but the two units I have both limit the voltage to the retract motors at 7.53volts so something inside the JP controller is dropping the input voltage. I do have a third JP controller that is newer (A0802?) and it also limits the voltage, but it limits to 8.14v, which is still less than the 8.4v input from the 2S Lipo. These are facts, and nothing JP can say will change them (see the attached pictures).

Here is what I still have not figured out. I've owned and flown three minis (the first one is no longer with us, RIP), I still fly the other two. All of them have the JP retracts. In my first mini, I installed an LG-15 after the first few flights, I adjusted the cutoff amperage to .5 AMPS and flew it about 30 flights with no retract issues. Long story short, I lost one mini and purchased two more. On the second mini I setup the LG-15 the same way I setup the LG-15 on the Mini #1, and while testing retracts during the build I burned up three motors (1 on the left side, two on the right). That's when I got suspicious and checked the output voltage on JP Controller and noticed it was 7.53v, the LG-15 was sending the full 8.4v to the retract motors, so I figured the retract motors were getting burned up because they could not handle the 8.4v. I verified this hypothesis by putting small regulator (limited to 7.5v) on the input side of the LG-15 and have flown my other two minis at least 100 times with only a single issue (later determined to be caused by a loose plug). So, my question is why did the retracts in mini #1 work perfectly without a regulator, where as the reracts on mini #2 burned up three motors? One explanation could be that the manufacturer changed up their materials or design after the original set of retracts were built, but who knows? One last thing, I connected an AMMETER in series with the retract motor and verified that the cutoff amperage was around .5 amps, so I'm pretty confident the motors did not burn up because the cutoff amperage was too high.

I believe there are others who have also checked the voltage output on the these JP controllers and they have also reported a voltage of 7.5v, so I don't think I'm the only one.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Tip22v

My JP Gear controller was regulated to 7.5 VDC output. While the Input could be as high as 8.4 VDC, the output always measured at 7.5 VDC. Unless JP changed something in the last two years, it should be the same. I measured mine just before I put in the LGC 15. My JP controller went in the trash a long time ago otherwise I would go check it again to make sure I remembered it correctly. But a good check for anyone would be to measure what you have on the bench before you install it. IMHO, that applies to any powered device, anytime something is changed.
I did not throw mine in the trash, and did exactly that, I went back and re tested just to make sure I remembered correctly, see the pictures above. In case anyone is wondering, the table cloth I used when I started this thread is the same because it was about this same time of year (Christmas) that I started this thread
Old 12-12-2019, 03:35 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

How does the braking differential work? Anyone have a screen shot and explanation for that?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
How does the braking differential work? Anyone have a screen shot and explanation for that?

Thanks
are you referring to the gyro controller braking, or the brake assisted turning?
Old 12-12-2019, 04:20 PM
AEROSHELDON

Gyro controlled braking to keep it straight.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Len Todd

How does it work? It works great. If the plane goes off course, the offending brake lets off and the other side adds braking power. You can actually see it visually on the controller's LEDs.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM
AEROSHELDON

How does it work? It works great. If the plane goes off course, the offending brake lets off and the other side adds braking power. You can actually see it visually on the controller's LEDs.
How is it programmed?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:13 PM
bodywerks

Originally Posted by Tip22v

I cannot not say anything about any of the JP controllers that I don't own, however I own two of V-1 versions and when I put a volt meter on the retract connector and active the retracts the voltage output is 7.53v, this is with a fully charged 2S lipo connected (8.4v), therefore the controller is definitely limiting the voltage to the retract motor. Maybe there is no actual regulator built in, but the two units I have both limit the voltage to the retract motors at 7.53volts so something inside the JP controller is dropping the input voltage. I do have a third JP controller that is newer (A0802?) and it also limits the voltage, but it limits to 8.14v, which is still less than the 8.4v input from the 2S Lipo. These are facts, and nothing JP can say will change them (see the attached pictures).

Here is what I still have not figured out. I've owned and flown three minis (the first one is no longer with us, RIP), I still fly the other two. All of them have the JP retracts. In my first mini, I installed an LG-15 after the first few flights, I adjusted the cutoff amperage to .5 AMPS and flew it about 30 flights with no retract issues. Long story short, I lost one mini and purchased two more. On the second mini I setup the LG-15 the same way I setup the LG-15 on the Mini #1, and while testing retracts during the build I burned up three motors (1 on the left side, two on the right). That's when I got suspicious and checked the output voltage on JP Controller and noticed it was 7.53v, the LG-15 was sending the full 8.4v to the retract motors, so I figured the retract motors were getting burned up because they could not handle the 8.4v. I verified this hypothesis by putting small regulator (limited to 7.5v) on the input side of the LG-15 and have flown my other two minis at least 100 times with only a single issue (later determined to be caused by a loose plug). So, my question is why did the retracts in mini #1 work perfectly without a regulator, where as the reracts on mini #2 burned up three motors? One explanation could be that the manufacturer changed up their materials or design after the original set of retracts were built, but who knows? One last thing, I connected an AMMETER in series with the retract motor and verified that the cutoff amperage was around .5 amps, so I'm pretty confident the motors did not burn up because the cutoff amperage was too high.

I believe there are others who have also checked the voltage output on the these JP controllers and they have also reported a voltage of 7.5v, so I don't think I'm the only one.
Thank you for this. Hard to argue with data. I would test my JP, but that stupid JST connector they use for power allows connectors to be installed backwards(ask me how I know).
In the interest of not burning up gear, I have a nice Hobbywing regulator sitting here that I can set to 7.4 volts, so that's what I'm doing.

Last edited by bodywerks; 12-12-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Tip22v

How is it programmed?
The whole purpose of this thread is to explain how to program it. Try reading the thread from the top, it should answer most of your questions. If not, post your questions and I’m confident someone can help you. -Tom
Old 12-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Tip22v

Thank you for this. Hard to argue with data. I would test my JP, but that stupid JST connector they use for power allows connectors to be installed backwards(ask me how I know).
In the interest of not burning up gear, I have a nice Hobbywing regulator sitting here that I can set to 7.4 volts, so that's what I'm doing.
There has been at least one report of the JP brakes being weak, I believe the gentleman is using an LG-15 with a regulator. I've not had any issues with my brakes being weak, but I'm thinking that using a regulator to limit the input voltage also has the consequence of limiting the total braking output voltage and could explain slightly weaker braking when using the LG-15 with a regulator. Let us know how your brakes work once you get everything built, this is something I'd like to keep an eye on moving forward. Thanks, Tom
Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 AM
bodywerks

Will do. Is there no way to separate brake power and gear power? This is on a fairly small jet(rebel hot). brake power might not be as much of an issue as it would be for larger jets.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Len Todd

My T-1 voltage is regulated to 7.5 VDC, At that voltage, I am limiting the LGC15's brake power output to ~ 60%. This is just shy of what is needed to lock the brakes up. The brakes will lock up at 80%. So limiting the voltage to 7.5 VDC will not prevent the brakes from locking up. You do not want the brakes to lock anyway! That is why you get all the adjustments.

As far as programming the LGC-15, you may want to consider googleing the manual and digging into it on the bench with the LGC 15 and gear sitting there. If you think you may need one, then you should be able to read it, versus having us waste out time recreating the manual. Right? The manual is out there on-line and its directions are fine. Once you do that and have specific questions, then it may be a great idea to post them here. Otherwise you may get some bum information and you waste a lot of time.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Tip22v

Will do. Is there no way to separate brake power and gear power? This is on a fairly small jet(rebel hot). brake power might not be as much of an issue as it would be for larger jets.
The only way I can think of to separate the brake power from the retract power is to use two different devices, i.e. use the LG-15 to control the brakes, and use the JP controller for the retracts. This is clearly not ideal, but technically possible.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:42 AM
AEROSHELDON

Thanks guys--working on my phone and thought this was a very old thread... I see what I need at the top and I also downloaded the manual. Some of the terminology is strange but the tread helped a lot.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Tip22v

Thanks guys--working on my phone and thought this was a very old thread... I see what I need at the top and I also downloaded the manual. Some of the terminology is strange but the tread helped a lot.
Excellent, the terminology is somewhat strange, hopefully this thread will be helpful. If you have questions please post here -Tom
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 PM
bodywerks

I have JP gear/brakes. Do I need to switch the connectors to a 3-pin type and put the wires on the outer slots? The manual is clear as mud on this, and the device doesn't label the pin polarity like it does the servo in/outputs and power input. All it says is polarity doesn't matter, and just to make sure the gear position agrees with what the display says.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:16 PM
AEROSHELDON

I have JP gear/brakes. Do I need to switch the connectors to a 3-pin type and put the wires on the outer slots? The manual is clear as mud on this, and the device doesn't label the pin polarity like it does the servo in/outputs and power input. All it says is polarity doesn't matter, and just to make sure the gear position agrees with what the display says.
that is what I did. Removed the connectors and used a servo connector.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.