Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum radios?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum radios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:58 AM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by propstryker
I recently inherited a 2012 DX18 that came with a 40% er that I purchased from a fellow modeler. At the same time my Hitec Aurora 9 has died and is no longer available. I am thinking of switching over and buying Spektrum receivers for the DX18, and maybe upgrade to another Spektrum TX in a few years. I bought the Hitec because it was simple to program. I am finding myself wondering if I should go down the Spektrum path. This is my first Spektrum radio. I am going to go ahead and fly it for awhile. My flying and radio needs are pretty simple, much less complicated than what you guys are needing I think.
A shout out to both Spektrum and Hitec. I sent back my 2012 DX18, which is apparently a Gen 1. Horizon updated it, checked it over and made some adjustments, all for $12.00!
Hitec-I sent them my 10 year old Aurora 9 unsure if it could be repaired. There was damage internally due to something that I did. They repaired it free under warranty!
I now have two great working radios and am, as always, a big fan of Hitec and Horizon.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by propstryker
A shout out to both Spektrum and Hitec. I sent back my 2012 DX18, which is apparently a Gen 1. Horizon updated it, checked it over and made some adjustments, all for $12.00!
Hitec-I sent them my 10 year old Aurora 9 unsure if it could be repaired. There was damage internally due to something that I did. They repaired it free under warranty!
I now have two great working radios and am, as always, a big fan of Hitec and Horizon.
How did a ten year old radio get repaired under warranty lol!
Old 04-23-2019, 08:28 PM
RJE
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Kris, I look forward to seeing at JOK.
Bob
Originally Posted by gunradd

Love my gen 1 DX18!!

After all this is a spectrum thread.
where did you get that cool decal for the face of the DX-18?
Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Here you go
https://www.powerhobby.com/decals/tr.../spektrum.html
Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 AM
RJE
My Feedback: (13)

Thank you..
Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Andika
Futaba and many others do work perfect with a single antenna while the pizza box requires 4 antennas + the 900 link backup.
Powerbox C26, Spektrum ix20, JR T64... there is actually no need to purchase anything from that ZB clown.
I own Spektrum, Futaba, and Jeti. Statements like this are funny. People said the same thing about Spektrum and how they needed receivers all over the plane and Futaba didn't. Must be something wrong with Spektrum. I have a jet with my Jeti in it. 2 2.4 Rx and a 900mhzRx. Looking through my logs I have never switched to the second 2.4 rx or the 900mhz receiver in over 100 flights. Pretty sure you don't need all of it but it doesn't hurt. We don't need to switches and rx packs. We don't need powerboxes, etc.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 PM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Afterburners
How did a ten year old radio get repaired under warranty lol!
Things that great companies do! I will keep supporting Hitec. Yes, I almost fell off my chair when they returned it under warranty. It is at least $30 to ship that radio back to me.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:17 PM
gratechef

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
From what I heard, new yes. Soon? Not so much. End of summer.
Any word on when Spektrum might introduce the next generation DX20 Tx?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

There's an iX20 on the board.

They had the pre-prod version at Nall so they have been testing for a few months. That's all I really know, I have no idea of release dates or anything like that.

I can tell you that its Android based like the iX-12 and has a new processor and the interface and boot up time is a lot faster. In fact, I don't think its ever off, its just in a very low power standby so it comes up very quickly.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:24 AM
Andika

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I can tell you that its Android based like the iX-12 and has a new processor and the interface and boot up time is a lot faster.
Same crap old processor they just switched over to another chinese brand.
If it only was a processor with 6-8 cores from one of the top ten best brands then it would be worth every single penny.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Same crap old processor they just switched over to another chinese brand.
If it only was a processor with 6-8 cores from one of the top ten best brands then it would be worth every single penny.
Please explain with details this would be very helpful to choose my new radio for 2020 and maybe compare to other brand and they way of doing they radios .
Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Since he probably hasn't seen it, and I've actually played with it, you can decide what you chose to believe.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM
horsefeetky

he has a good point though. i wont part with my dx18 until i know its replacement is worthy and not a slug like the i12 is........a simple disclosure of the chip they are using would help keep us waiting and wanting................or we can wait and watch the reviews of actual flyers once released next year. and some will have bought other brands by then. a major tx purchase doesnt happen yearly for most of us and solid info and planning is needed to make the best decision..
Old 08-14-2019, 02:30 PM
BarracudaHockey

I'm surprised you didn't see it, they had it and were flying it at Jet Jam, you were there too.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:16 AM
horsefeetky

i must pay better attention to things next trip to a fly in... was fixed on watching the edf havoc fly and missed the controller being use......
Old 08-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gratechef
Any word on when Spektrum might introduce the next generation DX20 Tx?
I've heard rumors that it'll be announced before the AMA Expo West in November
Old 08-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Andika

Originally Posted by sysiek
Please explain with details this would be very helpful to choose my new radio for 2020 and maybe compare to other brand and they way of doing they radios .
what do you want me to explain ? you are basically paying much more for a similar outdated hardware.
would you pay 1000+ dollars for an iphone X with integrated iphone 5 hardware ?
if they sell it for $600 (same price as the ix12) they would still make a huge profit
no leather, no carbon fiber, no metal gimbals, everything else cheap electronic components
it actually is a second revision of the ix12 rather than a true flagship radio.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 PM
sysiek

I’m very happy with both of my dx18 QQ and dx18 Stelth and change all my models to other systems than spectrum will be just way too expensive,actually I have a chance to play with the new ix20 for some time and there a lot more stuff than the ix12 as a very user friendly and way better than some other radios out there with very expensive receivers and other useless stuff that you need to spend money to make it work for a big models or big jets + the new spectrum rx with easy setup gyros make it a winner at least for me, I’m not sure if the carbon fiber case or other decorations will make my models to fly better but maybe, I did played with Jeti and maybe I’m not ready for something like that super high and stuff with so difficult way to make it work and all the trimming buttons are like some very hard to find buttons that when you’re needing to trim something doing maiden flight you need to look at the radio to find them to trim or ask your spotter for help, but again maybe I’m just not ready for something like that .and I have one more question what is flagship radio? And what they do to make them better than for example spectrum dx18-DX20 or the new spectrum ix12 or the new coming ix20 thanks .

Last edited by sysiek; 08-19-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Andika

I’m not sure if the carbon fiber case or other decorations will make my models to fly better

You can even fly your models with a Turnigy radio!
we are talking about wether the ix20 is worth $ what you pay for it or it's better to wait for the JR T64 and then compare both
With the same old cheap hardware it's expected it to suffer from the same Android sympthoms as the ix12 even though it boots up or change your models a little faster.

I did played with Jeti and maybe I’m not ready for something like that super high and stuff with so difficult way to make it work and all the trimming buttons are like some very hard to find buttons
if you want to discuss about the Pizza box your would better go to FG forum. ZB will tell you how good it is.

Last edited by Andika; 08-20-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 AM
sysiek

So I’m probably going to stick with my dx18 radios for a longer time, one more question why the Jeti radios losses the signal so easily? When flying ,recently doing the Kentucky Jets on the flight line almost all the radios streaming ,, low signal or signal lost,, ? Is this normal? Or they just flying to far away from the radios?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

So I’m probably going to stick with my dx18 radios for a longer time, one more question why the Jeti radios losses the signal so easily? When flying ,recently doing the Kentucky Jets on the flight line almost all the radios streaming ,, low signal or signal lost,, ? Is this normal? Or they just flying to far away from the radios?
That's just a Telemetry alarm nothing to worry about, it has nothing to do with the Radio link.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They do not loose signal, it's just personally setup alarm.
Jeti radios let's you customize Antenna Strength A1- A2 (0-9) and signal quality Q (0-100%) telemetry alarms. If you setup alarm at 9 for antenna 1 or 2 you will activate alarms. All depends on personal choice.

I fly with alarms A1/A2 setup as 2 and Q at 20% and that's for 6-7m 40 lbs. scale composite sailplanes flying 1 mile out. It's much more complicated but for simplicity you can think about Q value like Tx sends data 100 per second, and Rx gets clear data 20x per second.
My full CF composite sailplanes very rarely get under 4-5 and 50%
Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Still have my JR12X. Not switching to any other brand. Not needed.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Andika

Originally Posted by ZB
They do not loose signal, it's just personally setup alarm.
Jeti radios let's you customize Antenna Strength A1- A2 (0-9) and signal quality Q (0-100%) telemetry alarms.
When they don't lose the signal they are just out of range a few yards away and it's been proven many times thus you use the 915Mhz frequency to prevent more crashes.
Futaba, JR, Graupner, and Spektrum do only work on a single frequency and people seem to be quite satisfied with it.
Do not tell us that they only make use of 2.4G band because they are outdated, they do it because they feel no other frequency link is necessary for their protocol
if you can control your model when signal quality value is at 0% it shows once again how bad your system was designed

Last edited by Andika; 08-22-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts
Talking

When they don't lose the signal they are just out of range a few yards away and it's been proven many times thus you use the 915Mhz frequency to prevent more crashes.
Futaba, JR, Graupner, and Spektrum do only work on a single frequency and people seem to be quite satisfied with it.
Do not tell us that they only make use of 2.4G band because they are outdated, they do it because they feel no other frequency link is necessary for their protocol
if you can control your model when signal quality value is at 0% it shows once again how bad your system was designed
Your so right it’s a really bad design...that works really really well.....not sure why there’s still post like...mine is better then yours type thing.....they all work choose your poison and go flying..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.