Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti, what's the truth?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti, what's the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I went from Futaba 18mz to a jeti ds24 8 month ago, I only fly large size jets..
The feeling, the size, the weight, the telemetry, and all the software features including cortex set up from the transmitter and assist Rx’s.... I’m small handed too gloves size 8, never had a problem reaching any switch or knob... I now got a Ds12 to play around

GO WITH JETI you wont regret
Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Blancr
For me though, apart from the very basics, the more advanced stuff just seems to be too complicated. You have heard from others that 'there's lots of help in the forums'. There is and it's there for a reason
Bob
I've been flying Jeti now for about 2 years. I was flying a 12x for 7-8 years and thought it was time to upgrade in technology. The ONLY reason that I bought Jeti was for the Dual RF transmission. Otherwise, I didn't like the looks and it is heavy. The computer will do anything that you want and can imagine. Sometimes, it is too flexible for set up, and there are times that you think you have something on, only to find out that you didn't go to another screen to turn something else on to make it work. Or, you change something on one page and not realize that you changed the numbers on two to three pages that you don't see. There is a huge learning curve, so in the beginning, the video shorts were worth their weight in gold, changes of names for the same item on another radio system, and to me, since we are used to Asian radios and their logic, the logic was hard to comprehend at first. When flying, I do feel more connected with the jet, even when I was having some signal loss issues, but due to the secondary RF transmission and dual receivers onboard, I never worried about loosing the jet. With another radio system, I don't think one of my jets would be here. My reception issues were more of a heavy carbon fiber jet, and was more with antenna placement. Plus, I was out about 2500'-3000' slant range distance. Pretty far. And I knew the distance via the telemetry. If you are used to Spektrum/JR, the little satellite antennas can be placed anywhere, and you really don't have to think about the reception plain. I thought that I had everything 90 degrees to each other on two receivers. BUT, I had them on the same flat panel and was missing one of the 3 plains of placement and reception. So, off of each receiver, each antenna was parallel to the other receiver's antenna. Once I solved that learning lesson, via James at Esprit, I haven't had another issue. James is the man at Esprit!! He spent at least an hour with me at FJ. While I was having these reception issues, I was becoming very irritated with the system and thinking of going back to JR. Not crazy about the new JR/DeeForce. I wouldn't buy a Spektrum, otherwise I would have bought it in the first place when changing from JR, due to the fact that IMHO, they do too much R&D in the field and the end user pays the price. I also figured out that I wouldn't go back to any other the radios on the market and it all came back down to the dual RF transmission. So, not a Jeti Fanboy, but right now with what is on the market, I wouldn't buy anything else.

One of the things that I do love about the radio, is that I can buy several different types of switches, install them where I want, and do it myself. I don’t think with Spektrum that you, the operator, can change the switches yourself.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 04-30-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Been on Jeti since it’s available in the state.....coming from the 12x and 10x....prior to those I had quite a few Futaba the last one being the 9VAP....

I like my Jeti as much as I like all the rest of the systems I previously owned, all were in a way the most advance at the time from the mid 80’ on....one thing I really like about Jeti is that for the most part they listen to the customers (the mass of) and I had a lots of update both on TX, Sensor, and Receivers, all of them giving more and more options, some think it’s a complicated system, because they make it complicated...I really love Telemetry....and like most before I tried that...I was like who need to know anything while flying.....and now I need to know this, it save me lots of headache when pushing the batteries to 30% instead of landing with a timer and noticing geez I’m still at 50%.

For my jets the same thing, I can stay up until I get my fuel warning that I set....instead of a timer....and lots of other possible Telemetry, like prop speed for my Turbo prop...the list go on.

Is it a perfect system, nope....but I can say that with Futaba/JR and Jeti all the planes I lost were my fault or other external things...and that none of them were with a signal lost...on both 72 and 2.4
Old 04-30-2019, 04:13 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

So my vote is to stay with the DX20. Just for giggles it would, I think, be a decent idea to try the Jeti if you know someone with a tx, but I wouldn't buy a new tx just to take the radio system for a test drive.
I think he already has the radio and if not Jeti will let you test drive one without buying. Also Zeeb, it sounds like the one you tried may have been the DC tray model and not the DS model? I've used so many different radios teaching guys to fly over the years that I can adapt to any of them without thinking about it much and I've owned ten or so different brands. The Jeti is heavy as it is solid metal and not plastic. But it balances perfectly with just a neck strap. The trims are the same as the ones on my Multiplex Evo and I admit that I do not like that arrangement. But the Jeti lets you put trims where ever you like and mine are cross trimmed and that makes a world of difference. My hand never has to leave the right stick to trim elevator or aileron. There is also auto trim which I set up but never used since the cross trims worked so well. If a plane is too touchy it's not the radio, it's the setup. The sticks can also be set from soft to stiff.

I've been flying the DS 16 for about five years. Jeti listens to what customers want and will usually respond with a free downloadable upgrade. The 16 is now 24 proportional channel capable. Cortex, Jeti and some other gyros are fully programmable through the Tx. There are like five different ways of doing everything in the Jeti. This makes it seem very complex but it's only as complex as you want it to be. I've only looked at my instruction manual a couple times since owning the radio and most of the time don't know where it is. A few months ago I found it under the couch. I have Jeti in six jets.

Guys think that telemetry is about the radio yaccing away at you while you're flying. Telemetry is about giving you info if you need it when you need it. I want to know how much fuel I have left and how long I've been flying. The radio is silent until I tilt it and it tells me both. At my predetermined points it will also report, like 50% fuel or bingo fuel etc. Same goes for batteries, air pressure, signal strength and quality and even gear position. But those only report if there is an alarm. If I have a flameout I want to know immediately through a warning alarm. If I'm losing air pressure I want to know and if I lose too much my gear will come down automatically. This is where telemetry really shines because it can be used as a control or switch.

Sooo... without getting more long winded I say give it a try.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:05 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have been using Jeti (DS14, DS16 and DS24) for over five years.. none of the above comments mentioned that Jeti DS24 is the only Dual channel Transmitter 2.4 and 900 backup. The switchover between 2.4 and 900 is seamless. Unless you have a notification that 900 has taken over you would never know...

David
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

Try a Core hand held. It fits great as they designed the Tx after checking lots of pilots hand positions. I actually have a Core customer who is swapping from Jeti....
Just saw a core fail last weekend. All models gone and did only boot to a blank white screen....

Guess all can fail... Luckily this was found while preparing for a flight of the owners quad turbine 747 and not during a flight.

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 05-01-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:08 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a DS24 and an 18MZ. I like my 18MZ better for numerous reasons but hate their telemetry. I pretty much only fly my jets on the Jeti and use the 18MZ for everything else.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 AM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar
Just saw a core fail last weekend. All models gone and did only boot to a blank white screen....

Guess all can fail... Luckily this was found while preparing for a flight of the owners quad turbine 747 and not during a flight.
Auch!!
Old 05-01-2019, 05:19 PM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The truth is: it rocks!!!! but it is not for everyone.

What I love: ultra high quality, incredible selection of receivers, endless programming possibilities, true dual (or triple redundancy ) meaning, 2 transmitters and two receivers. Telemetry is outstanding (you have to try it to understand how much it does and how valuable it is), plus the telemetry is also a control (low pressure failsafe for example). Forward programming with the cortex is another great feature

Why is not for everyone? programming is super powerful, but it requires learning it.

There are also some myths, specially discussions around signal loss: All signal loss cases I've seen are either, the thresholds values set too high (alarm going off well before necessary) or the radio losing telemetry signal. In either case, you have a lot more range than the alarm makes you believe. I just lower the thresholds significantly and never get any alarms. After the flight, I check all my numbers and they are all above Jeti's recommendations

Another myth is around needing two receivers. You have the option of using two. But it works perfectly fine with one. That is how I have most of my models.

But again, I still believe it is not a radio for everyone, but if you enjoy the programming side of the hobby, it is a really powerful tool

BTW, if you don't like Esprit, Manny and Danny at Aeropanda are just amazing people to deal with, and you can even loan the system for a demo

Last edited by JackD; 05-01-2019 at 05:29 PM. Reason: hit send too quickly
Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using jeti for several years now. It's not the most comfortable radio that I use. I'm not a fan of the trim controls but I trust the dual transmitter, receiver redundancy more than any of my other radios and to me that makes it worth getting used to the differences. All of my higher end planes are setup with jeti. I've gotten used to the manual trims but sometimes use auto trim which is really nice and the telemetry, screen position is really useful. I can watch and monitor all of the turbine functions from my screen.

The 2 things I would change is the trim buttons and the feel of the radio when you hold it. I got around that by starting to use a neck strap. I would like to see them automatically enable individual trims whenever you set up flight modes, makes obvious sense, but that's just a small programming inconvenience. Minor dislikes for lots of advantages..
Old 05-02-2019, 05:33 AM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I second the recommendation for Danny and Manny at Aeropanda. Two of the most customer focused people that I’ve ever dealt with in the hobby. Extremely knowledgeable on top of that. The training videos that Esprit have done are fantastic as a new user and even as a tune up if its been a while since I’ve done a particular type of programming.

Couldn’t be happier with my Jeti DS-24. Started with a DS-16 two seasons ago and upgraded to the DS-24 for this season. I found the transition from Spektrum DX-18QQ to be very easy. Sure ... there are a few things to learn but with the online resources and experts close by on the phone it was an easy transition so don’t be intimidated by it. 90% of what you need to know is very logical. The other 10% is easy to learn. I do not get into LUA programming, etc etc ... you can keep things simple with a short learning curve but do everything you ever have to do for a complex jet OR you can get as complicated with it as you dare.

I didn’t like the trims at first but setting up “cross trims” was a game changer. I like it better than traditional trims on other Tx’s now because if the jet is significantly out of trim I can fly it with right stick when trimming pitch/roll on the left without have to reach over the right with my left hand and fumble around to find the trims.

To me, the main thing is to have equipment that you have 100% confidence in and that you can get help/support when needed. For different people this means a different solution, but thats the great thing about our hobby ... there are available choices and most all of them are very reliable systems. It becomes a matter of preference.

JS
Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Ditto what JackD, Jonkopisch, and Jsnipes said.

I went from 18MZ to DS-24 last year mainly for the dual 2.4 and 900 freqs. Also wanted plug and play telemetry which the 18MZ did not have. It was the best thing I've done in a real long time. I love it now. The basics are easy and I'm just learning some off the more exotic stuff now but love all the options. I also use a neck strap, very comfortable.

Cross trims are awesome for first flight trims. So easy to fly and trim now.
I even use the Grumania G-Trim "trim hats" ( G-TRIM BLACK - GRUMANIA JETS ) which basically turn the trim buttons into a "mini stick" so I can fly with right hand and trim with the left easily even if the jet is way out of trim. The trim buttons now operate like a 2 axis stick, very easy to find and operate.

Danny and Manny at Aeropanda are top notch. Best technical support I've ever had. Danny is the reason I made the switch. He spent his time teaching me and answering my questions, and he hasn't stopped. That was a big deal for me because I was fearful about learning a new system after 30+ years with Futaba. I never had a glitch with Futaba but now I have data and a lot more confidence. Yes maybe some things I would have made different but I never drove a car or flew an airplane that didn't have something I would have done different.

Everyone I know that switched to Jeti loves it now. I think you will also.
Gary