Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Alternative to typical folding jet stand?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Alternative to typical folding jet stand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Alternative to typical folding jet stand?

I’ve seen that most people use the folding auto body panel stand for their jets.
Inexpensive, lightweight and somewhat adjustable for height (at the expense of width)

I stumbled across this interesting stand that might be nice for the shop
Wheels, adjustable width separate from height, adjustable height and stand angle.

https://www.innovativetools.com/prod...ative-x-stand/

Has anyone seen one of these used before?

The other alternatives I know of are Stanley’s CG stand and the stand sold by Dirk at PacificRCJets
Stanley's CG, Work & Multipurpose Stand
https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...-display-stand

If anyone else has other suggestions, I’d like to hear about them.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Byron craft cuddler is (was its no longer available here) king in the UK.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:40 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Is the Byron stand good for jets like a Havoc SS?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the Byron stand to work on a Fei Bao J-10 which is larger and perhaps heavier than the Havoc SS.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Dave Wilshere

Yes, lots of 45lb + jets
Old 12-23-2019, 02:44 PM
AEROSHELDON

Thanks all, we can still get them here. I might give one a go. Like $85 delivered.....
Old 12-23-2019, 10:28 PM
Dave Wilshere

When it arrives de-bur the steel tube before inserting it through the Arms, some are sharp and they shave the hole making the arms too loose.
My oldest Byron stand is around 20 years old and still perfect.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
When it arrives de-bur the steel tube before inserting it through the Arms, some are sharp and they shave the hole making the arms too loose.
My oldest Byron stand is around 20 years old and still perfect.
I have one from the mid 70’s.
Its still in perfect shape.
There aren’t many RC products still around after 40+ years…I was surprised they’re still for sale.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Dave Wilshere

Around 15 years ago I said that I needed a decent portable stand and one of my employees said what happened to that one you had for ducted fan...we searched the warehouse and found this mess covered in dust and fluff stuck to all the old oil. He took a tin of foaming cleaner and went outside with a brush and came back 30 minutes later with what looked like a new stand. When I took it to the events everyone kept asking for one, so I asked the Byron fuel guys here if they still made the craft cuddler and they said a what! They asked Byron and they said they still had the moulds. The fuel guys asked how many I thought I could sell and when I said hundreds they became interested! I used to take a load to JetPower each year and always sold out.
Pity the guys are not importing fuel now, so no way of shipping heavy stands economically. I’ve seen some copies...they were junk.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use regular keyboard stands with a strap. They are completely adjustable and the work great with all my planes. You can adjust the length of the straps very easily in order to accommodate different planes. Great thing is that the stands are cheap and you can have several of them.

In the picture, I'm using them with a CARF Turbine Glider.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:14 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I also use a Keyboard stand and it works very well. Here is a link to Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/RockJam-Heavy...285895&sr=8-15
Wayne
Old 12-27-2019, 06:08 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Is the Byron stand good for jets like a Havoc SS?
I have one of the Byron Stands, I use it for my Havoc SS and ever other jet and its an amazing one size fits all, that never causes any damage. Its tall enough that getting under to put in wing bolts ant bad, but not so tall that I have to worry about a jet falling off or a stand taking a lot of room in my trailer or van if a short day of flying.

The center bar is low to the point it dose not catch landing gear like on my Airworld Cougar, or Aviation Diamond.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:55 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have tried the body shop stuff but they way to big and not user friendly,so actually I find out that the regular work horses are best way to use, they very strong they don’t need lots space for storage and they very cheap I could buy the set of 2 at the local ACE hardware store for $20 a set off 2 when on sale,they fit perfect inside my van by the door and I could take two pairs with no problems.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:36 AM
AEROSHELDON

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I have one of the Byron Stands, I use it for my Havoc SS and ever other jet and its an amazing one size fits all, that never causes any damage. Its tall enough that getting under to put in wing bolts ant bad, but not so tall that I have to worry about a jet falling off or a stand taking a lot of room in my trailer or van if a short day of flying.

The center bar is low to the point it dose not catch landing gear like on my Airworld Cougar, or Aviation Diamond.
Thanks all, I ordered one the other day. Should have it soon. I will also add that for the shop the Keter work stand is really nice. I have two of those.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Thanks all, I ordered one the other day. Should have it soon. I will also add that for the shop the Keter work stand is really nice. I have two of those.
I think you'll like them. I ordered three of them several months back and finally got one out for my T-One, works great. I'm in the process of rearranging things so I can get a new Hybrid car in the garage and will try the Havoc SS on it when I get to moving it.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:04 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Double post.....
Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 AM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is my current design. I use 2 home depo stands and have the slide bar made so I can change the length. The 2 pins come out for transport. I added rams to offset the weight of the model when I want to raise it. I built a mechanical balancer that clamps to the cross rail. I drop the model to the balancer when I do the CG. Dan
Old 12-30-2019, 11:19 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I’ve seen that most people use the folding auto body panel stand for their jets.
Inexpensive, lightweight and somewhat adjustable for height (at the expense of width)

I stumbled across this interesting stand that might be nice for the shop
Wheels, adjustable width separate from height, adjustable height and stand angle.

https://www.innovativetools.com/prod...ative-x-stand/

Has anyone seen one of these used before?

The other alternatives I know of are Stanley’s CG stand and the stand sold by Dirk at PacificRCJets
Stanley's CG, Work & Multipurpose Stand
https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...-display-stand

If anyone else has other suggestions, I’d like to hear about them.
Thanks

I found this on eBay with a make offer option and free shipping. Received today. It’s perfect for my needs. The adjustability and wheels makes it quite convenient for at home assembly (builds) and maintenance. Byron Craft Cuddler and Harbor Freight portable work stand for field use.