Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Designing a 1/3rd scale Tweet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Designing a 1/3rd scale Tweet

Old 11-12-2020, 05:11 AM
Smokeyr67

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Designing a 1/3rd scale Tweet

Hi folks,

Iím currently looking for my next project (just finishing up the design phase of a Cessna O-2) and I think a 1/3rd scale T or A-37 would be a nice airframe to get to work on once I get to the build phase of the O-2.

The Tweet looks a bit easier to draw than the O-2, and the LG will be a lot easier, I just have limited experience with turbine jets (just an Excalibur) so Iíd like a bit of advice.

Iíd prefer to design it for a single turbine, but just looking at the 3 views it might be a better fit to put 2 smaller engines in it (Iím yet to scale it out, but 1 large turbine will probably have to be too far forward for efficient intake ducting). Itís the very slim profile aft of the cockpit that has me concerned.

Iím a very long way off anything solid, (or even digital) so thereís no problem changing my plans, but this is where Iím heading at the moment;

Full composite construction (mainly glass with some aramid reinforcement for areas like LG mounts, carbon to stiffen the rear fuse) Glass reinforced foam ribs and formers. Resin infused.

Goal weight is 25kg dry (in my dreams).

If you have any suggestions, criticisms (constructive) Iím all ears !

Thanks

Smokey

Old 11-12-2020, 05:53 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

See if you can find any of the work that Tad Krzanowski did on his tweet. It was about the size you are looking at

here you go... A-37 Dragonfly

Last edited by patf; 11-12-2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: added link
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyr67 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:49 AM
Smokeyr67

Thanks Pat
Old 11-12-2020, 07:29 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

Might also want to check out PSTJETS.com, since they offer (or used to offer) a T-37. Not sure what scale. Would be a good data point though, for comparison.
The following users liked this post:
Smokeyr67 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Smokeyr67

Thanks Ron, I’ll check them out