Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Details for Scale Light Controller replacement needed

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Details for Scale Light Controller replacement needed

Old 09-19-2021, 02:24 PM
frankie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Details for Scale Light Controller replacement needed

Hello All,

I'm setting up the lighting system on a turbine model and wish to replace the Details for Scale Controller (see below). This is in an effort to minimise the size and weight of the controller. Since this product was released better options have become available which are more compact/lightweight with more options for functionality, etc. The criteria are:

-new controller needs to be able to produce approx 1 watt individual outputs, both flashing and landing lights, etc, so that existing leds (which are already mounted) can be utilised
-must be compact and light weight

Is there anyone who has already done this conversion (using a uni-light controller for example), who can comment on it's success?

Best Regards, Frank
Old 09-19-2021, 07:51 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good question Frank, will be great to get some constructive feedback as I'm sure there are many of us with the same requirements.

JanR
Old 09-20-2021, 12:45 AM
modtron

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Frankie,

Just sent you a pm about Braincube Lighting Systems.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 09-22-2021, 09:14 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I use the PowerBox-Systems Light controller, it works perfectly and supports sbus.

Just keep in mind, the DFS controller you're removing has a row of resistors on the output. If you replace the unit in a plane that has LEDs which have a specific (not to exceed) voltage requirement, you will need to replace the unit with one that will drop the voltage down for you. If not, you run the risk of overpowering your LEDs. If unsure, just test the output voltage on the DFS unit. You can then use any system you want, you just may need to add resistors inline to ensure you replicate the output voltage. It is not complicated.

The following users liked this post:
Springbok Flyer (09-22-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:16 PM
frankie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who responded, both the Braincube and Powerbox system look like good options with the Powerbox product appearing to be more modern as well as more compact. Nobody here has commented on power outputs. I've researched the spec. of the Powerbox system which quotes 1.1A per channel-can anybody provide this data for the Braincube unit?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 01:59 AM
modtron

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From the Braincube manual .........The controller will convert a wide input voltage range into the 5V supply the LEDs require, and can supply up to 3A of current.
The LED power supply is isolated from that of the receiver to protect your radio gear from the high current draw of the light modules.
All battery types are supported, including Lithium Polymer, with a voltage range of 6 - 42 volts (2-10S LiPo packs).

modtron
Oxford UK