Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Northeast Florida

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Northeast Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 03:55 AM
tulz161

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northeast Florida

Hi All,

Are there any turbine friendly fields in northeast florida?

Thank you,

Ben
Old 01-14-2022, 04:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Depending on the size of the jet but Gateway and Jax RC both have active jet groups.

I fly at both
Old 01-14-2022, 05:26 AM
tulz161

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Depending on the size of the jet but Gateway and Jax RC both have active jet groups.

I fly at both
Great. Thank you. What are the limits?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:20 AM
BarracudaHockey

Size and nerve lol

Jax RC has some trees and trash mounds so the approaches freak out some folks. I fly my Rebel Hot there comfortably, others fly up to 120 size jets, just depends on the jet and the pilot. 350 foot or so paved

Gateway is a little further drive, 400 foot paved and its wider, there's also less obstacles that allow much flatter approaches. Unlike Jax there's some time restrictions due to neighbors and occasional shut downs for the VA Cemetery next door though that rarely affects weekends. For example power and turbine at 9am on Saturday, 10am on Sunday. There's no neighbors so no time restrictions at Jax.

Let me know if you'd like to visit either, I'd be happy to meet up unless I'm away at an event.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:17 AM
tulz161

Haha. Understood. I would only be flying a x45 size plane right now.

Definitely would like to come check Jax RC out. I'm down in St Augustine. We have a nice grass field here, but currently no turbines. Also located at the city dump.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:44 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by tulz161

Definitely would like to come check Jax RC out. I'm down in St Augustine. We have a nice grass field here, but currently no turbines. Also located at the city dump.
Ya I know, I was down there for the December meeting.

Feel free to bring it up to Jax
Old 01-14-2022, 08:18 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Size and nerve lol

Jax RC has some trees and trash mounds so the approaches freak out some folks. I fly my Rebel Hot there comfortably, others fly up to 120 size jets, just depends on the jet and the pilot. 350 foot or so paved

Gateway is a little further drive, 400 foot paved and its wider, there's also less obstacles that allow much flatter approaches. Unlike Jax there's some time restrictions due to neighbors and occasional shut downs for the VA Cemetery next door though that rarely affects weekends. For example power and turbine at 9am on Saturday, 10am on Sunday. There's no neighbors so no time restrictions at Jax.

Let me know if you'd like to visit either, I'd be happy to meet up unless I'm away at an event.
So these runways are only 350'?

Old 01-14-2022, 09:03 AM
BarracudaHockey

The head on runway in that shot is actually 400, the left to right is 300 but that's the heli/drone flight line.

The issue jet guys have is that hill to the south of the main runway, smaller jets are fine but bigger ones you have to come down that hill without building too much speed then flare, land, and stop.

45 size jets are no problem
Old 01-14-2022, 10:09 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

The head on runway in that shot is actually 400, the left to right is 300 but that's the heli/drone flight line.

The issue jet guys have is that hill to the south of the main runway, smaller jets are fine but bigger ones you have to come down that hill without building too much speed then flare, land, and stop.

45 size jets are no problem
Thanks Andy! I was actually considering coming up to Gateway to check out the fun fly at the end of February. I'm starting to look for alternatives to Cape Coral. Urbanization is winning at our field. It is becoming more restrictive, because a snowbird decided to ruin our field by building a house at the end of our runway. It is becoming too restrictive to fly the larger, high performance jets. I was considering JAX, because of the two jet fields in close proximity.

Our runway is 600' long. I'm at the approach end. The house is about 1200' from the other end. The boundary is being moved to our entrance road. This makes the boundary only about 600' from the other end of the runway. Difficult to fly a right pattern. The left to right pattern isn't much better.

I'm on his lanai looking at our runway.

I'm in his living room. What idiot builds a $550k+ house near a runway and not expect issues? Well, this idiot. And, he has complained.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:01 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yea, i'm aware, you're welcome to come up to the FFF of course I will be there.

I'll be checking in with them after the Scale Classic to see how that goes.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by tulz161

I have to leave early, I have a date with Lord Stanley but I'll be out at Jax RC from 8ish to 12 ish tomorrow (1/15)

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 01-14-2022 at 11:07 AM.