Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dual battery use question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dual battery use question

Old 06-07-2022, 04:39 AM
jerrybern

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Dual battery use question

How do I use 2 batteries, What do I need to buy?
I am using a Futaba. 10 J with High-tech servos, and a Demon cortex gyro with a NiMH 4200 ah at 6 volts
Thanks,
Jerry B
Old 06-07-2022, 05:08 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So many different solutions out there.
Something like this is a good example - https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...mpetition.html
Plug 2 batteries in and the powerbox treats them as individual batteries. If one battery dies the other takes over.
Lots of other brands like AR, Jeti, Futaba, Emcotec etc.

Here is another variant from AR -https://boomarc.com/en/ar-reg-switch
This one is a simple battery backer. It just depends on what setup you are going for I guess.

Oh and I know everyone has probably told you this but get rid of the NiMH.. LiFe or Lipo are heaps better.

PaulH.

Last edited by paulhat; 06-07-2022 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:40 AM
Len Todd

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Unfortunately, many of the potential options are out of stock. If you are in a hurry, you may have to settle for one generation older tech. However, if you are thinking Powerbox, I would recommend a Mercury. It has the Gyro built in and has multiple battery and Rxer inputs. I have several in jets and giants. Smoothflite also has nice setups too, if you can get one. Look around, there are several options.

I have tried and researched several different setups and have settled exclusively on Powerbox Mercury SRS, for now. I have at least 5 PBoxes in the fleet. In my experience, nothing beats a PBox Mercury SRS with at least 3 remote Spektrum SRXL Rxers. I have been using PBox for several years.

However, you are using Futaba. I am NOT familiar what you would use in a PBox for the multiple Rxers with Futaba. Larger models not only need multiple power sources, but also need multiple Rxers. Some power distribution systems offered may not be capable of handling several Futaba Rxers. Some models only allow one Rxer.

There are also some battery combining devices out there that do NOT involve multiple Rxers, etc. However, they just combine two batteries and do not regulate the voltage. Regulating voltage is important for larger aircraft and when you are using Low Voltage servos, etc. Today's larger planes need LiPo batteries, High Voltage servos and multiple receivers as well as lots of battery power. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Look closely at what you are buying before you pull the trigger. Make sure you are getting what you need or may need in the future. Hopefully you can get your hands on what you want in a timely manner.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:41 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

20 years ago before all the new fancy stuff, we used NICAD and/or NIMH, 2 batteries with a splitter. It depends on what your concern is, more AMPS or protection from failure. Splitter isn't necessarily a backup. Used to hot swap batteries using a splitter to hot fuel and keep flying. When using the older FM systems, you basically became the freq clip guy:
Old 06-07-2022, 06:10 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just what you're looking for from Futaba and in stock.

https://futabausa.com/product/dlph-1/
Old 06-07-2022, 06:17 AM
FenderBean

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybern View Post
How do I use 2 batteries, What do I need to buy?
I am using a Futaba. 10 J with High-tech servos, and a Demon cortex gyro with a NiMH 4200 ah at 6 volts
Thanks,
Jerry B
Futaba has a power distribution hub now perfect for this.
The following users liked this post:
modtron (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 06:19 AM
FenderBean

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by George View Post
Just what you're looking for from Futaba and in stock.

lol man crazy timing
Old 06-07-2022, 01:13 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
lol man crazy timing
Beat you to it!
Old 06-07-2022, 01:25 PM
jerrybern

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by paulhat View Post
So many different solutions out there.
Something like this is a good example - https://www.powerbox-systems.com/pro...mpetition.html
Plug 2 batteries in and the powerbox treats them as individual batteries. If one battery dies the other takes over.
Lots of other brands like AR, Jeti, Futaba, Emcotec etc.

Here is another variant from AR -https://boomarc.com/en/ar-reg-switch
This one is a simple battery backer. It just depends on what setup you are going for I guess.

Oh and I know everyone has probably told you this but get rid of the NiMH.. LiFe or Lipo are heaps better.

PaulH.
what's the reason for not use NiMh batteries
Thanks
Jerry B
Old 06-07-2022, 03:03 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks
Jerry B
They have a lot of internal resistance and thus don't handle high current loads very well. For a smaller jet, they're probably OK, but for a big jet with a number of super high torque servos, they are a poor choice. Also, they are much heavier for the same capacity...

Bob
Old 06-08-2022, 03:45 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks
Jerry B
They also have very high self discharge rates, are prone to "false peaking" off the chargers, require a much longer charge time at 1/10th C and have a drastically smaller discharge capability rate than say LiFe's.