Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JMB XXL PC-21 landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JMB XXL PC-21 landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 07:28 AM
roydefiant

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default JMB XXL PC-21 landing gear

I’m wondering if the JP retract system in the large PC-21 has been reliable and if not, what issues?
Old 11-15-2023, 07:44 PM
gbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly with Dennis Shrewsbury fairly often. We were together a couple weeks ago and he put several flights on his. The nose gear gave him some issues. The lower strut threads into the upper housing with a very fine thread. This thread was so fine and the tolerances not too good that it allowed the strut to just fall out. Luckily it fell out while rolling it back into the pits and was not lost. He added a couple of set screws to hold everything together. Seemed to do the job.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:12 AM
roydefiant

GBarnes, thank you for your response, much appreciated.

would be great if you could get Shrewsberry to weigh in here. Would love to see a picture where he put set screws.

would also appreciate what throws he ended up with on ailerons, elevators, rudder and flaps as manual has no recommendations

thanks
Roy
Minnesota
Old 11-16-2023, 07:29 AM
gbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roy, I don't think Dennis is on any forums or social media. Just not his thing. Most of his setup came from Ebel. We are scheduled to get together and fly the first weekend in December and I'll see if I can get you a picture or two.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:04 AM
roydefiant

Thanks that would be very helpful. Would be great if you could eyeball control throws. Can’t believe the kit has been out for a few years and no mention of control throws anywhere including the manual. I had PM into Ebel but never got a response. I wonder if others had issue with nose gear.

Roy
Minnesota
Old 11-16-2023, 02:06 PM
GULDUKAT

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by roydefiant
Thanks that would be very helpful. Would be great if you could eyeball control throws. Can’t believe the kit has been out for a few years and no mention of control throws anywhere including the manual. I had PM into Ebel but never got a response. I wonder if others had issue with nose gear.

Roy
Minnesota
I am mainly on FB ..

I have about ninety or so flights on my pc21. The threads on my nose came loose after 60 or so flights. Never really had an issue except that my steering got a little clumsy. Took it out - put some thread locker and I was good to go.

Other than that it has been flawless.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:21 PM
roydefiant

Guldukat, thanks for response. Maybe I will be proactive and thread lock nose gear. Since you have yours dialed in I would be grateful if you were to post your control throws and flap settings
Old 11-16-2023, 03:29 PM
GULDUKAT

Guldukat, thanks for response. Maybe I will be proactive and thread lock nose gear. Since you have yours dialed in I would be grateful if you were to post your control throws and flap settings
I did not do any of my linkages from the inside because they were limiting the throws.

All my turn buckles are on the outside. And I have maxed out all the throws.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:44 AM
roydefiant

Ok. Thanks Guldukat. I’m thinking 15 degrees takeoff flaps and 40 degrees for landing flaps. Hope that sounds about right
Old 11-17-2023, 06:00 AM
GULDUKAT

Ok. Thanks Guldukat. I’m thinking 15 degrees takeoff flaps and 40 degrees for landing flaps. Hope that sounds about right
You don't really need any for take off. For landing add as much as you can to slow it down. Add a lot of crow as well. Idle at 400ft and let it glide on its own. It's a *****cat!
Old 11-19-2023, 06:52 AM
roydefiant

Thanks Guldukat.

another question; manual says CG at 213.5mm. Did you leave the CG there or move rearward?
thanks
Roy
Old 11-19-2023, 10:10 AM
GULDUKAT

Thanks Guldukat.

another question; manual says CG at 213.5mm. Did you leave the CG there or move rearward?
thanks
Roy
Mine is a lot more tail heavy. I have the 1st version which is 8-10lbs heavier too.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:21 AM
roydefiant

GBarnes, sent you a PM