Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Stiffer Springs for JP Struts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Stiffer Springs for JP Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 04:39 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stiffer Springs for JP Struts

Hi Guys.
I have three of the Sebart Mini jets all converted to turbine. They come with JP electric gear and the newer version struts with internal springs. I think they are model number ER-005. They work great but the only problem is that the springs in the struts are too soft. The struts are partially compressed under the weight of the jets and it does not take much pressure to fully collapse them. I am wondering if anyone has upgraded their springs and if you can tell me which springs you bought and where you got them. I measured one of the stock springs and it was .193 Dia, 30 coils and 43mm long.
Thanks,
Dom
Old 11-27-2023, 07:50 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

You don't want them too stiff. Sometimes a shim in them makes them stand up better. But you give up some travel. McMaster Carr has a lot of springs.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:07 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Len. I agree. The nose gear strut was so soft that under acceleration on grass it completely compressed. I machined a spacer which created preload and it's stiffened it up so now I could take off with no problem off of grass but I gave up a good amount of travel.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Tygon inside the spring…
The following 3 users liked this post by Dave Wilshere:
Canadian Man (11-27-2023), David J Ruskin (11-30-2023), Springbok Flyer (11-27-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 07:25 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an issue with my Baja L-39 where the main gear struts would bottom out. Tried a couple quick fixes and nothing worked to my likely. I ended up ordering stiffer springs from jphobby.eu and it worked out perfectly. Shipping from France to California was about a week.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:48 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks guys.

Spring is too small for the Tygon.

I went to the JP Hobbies site and the only 5mm springs they have are the stock. Looks like as you go larger in diameter, they offer different stiffness.