Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Essential gear for a new Turbine owner? >

Essential gear for a new Turbine owner?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Essential gear for a new Turbine owner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 02:54 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Essential gear for a new Turbine owner?

I ordered a BVM Bandit Evo. I have been talking with the guys at the field and looking at their equipment. So far I have a short list of items I need to get for ground equipment.

BC fire extinguisher
Jersey Modeler fuel container/pump.
Some sort of blower to cool the turbine.
Over flow fuel catcher.
wing, tail and Fuselage bags..not needed but nice to have
Stand to assemble and work on at the field.

Any other suggested items?
Old 12-03-2023, 05:09 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Bryant
I ordered a BVM Bandit Evo. I have been talking with the guys at the field and looking at their equipment. So far I have a short list of items I need to get for ground equipment.

BC fire extinguisher
Jersey Modeler fuel container/pump.
Some sort of blower to cool the turbine.
Over flow fuel catcher.
wing, tail and Fuselage bags..not needed but nice to have

Any other suggested items?
Ken….That’s a good start. Regarding the blower, my mistake was to get one that the switch did not have a “detent” to hold it in the on position. I have to squeeze it in and constantly hold it, for the machine to run. So, when getting one, it will make life easier if the switch has that feature.
Wayne
The following users liked this post:
Ken Bryant (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 05:47 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 381 Likes on 307 Posts

You say "BC" fire extinguisher, that could encompass several kinds including dry chemical.

You want CO2 or Halotron

You also want water based fire fighting, usually a pressurized water extinguisher in case you catch grass on fire, our clubs have them but that's part of the requirement

Old 12-03-2023, 06:28 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Great thread. Regarding the blower, I don't think you need it at all. All modern turbine cool off automatically even with the receiver turned off. The fire extinguisher you need is CO2. No need to get a huge one.

A few more jet specific things I use or carry all the time:

- fuel containers I use to purchase JetA at the local airport. You want to mix in these containers and then refill your jersey
- turbine oil as recommended by your turbine manufacturer. I personally use Kintech's oil because it works in Kingtech, Jetcat and Xicoy
- water fire extinguisher, especially when flying during summer. Get a large one. This is the best way to immediately control a grass fire
- safety wires and safety wire pliers. This is for your fuel lines. Your fuel system needs to be absolutely perfect or flame out will take place and these quickly lead to a bad day at the field.
- rechargeable air pump with quick disconnect. I prefer to use the robart air line quick disconnect but several are available.

Hope this helps. Great choice on the bandit. It is a really fun airplane. Welcome to turbines!
The following 2 users liked this post by acw:
Auburn02 (12-04-2023), Ken Bryant (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 06:32 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Halotron is pretty much what I was looking at. Water is at the field

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
You say "BC" fire extinguisher, that could encompass several kinds including dry chemical.

You want CO2 or Halotron

You also want water based fire fighting, usually a pressurized water extinguisher in case you catch grass on fire, our clubs have them but that's part of the requirement
Old 12-03-2023, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One thing…

Add decent hearing protection to the list. You must test the turbine properly for any air bubbles etc. repeatedly. Its much nicer to work the model with hearing protection. Or if another modeler needs help with their model.

TP.

Last edited by Stobe777; 12-03-2023 at 08:57 AM.
uncleTom (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts

CO2 fire extinguisher.
Gas can.
Over flow fuel catcher.

There, I modified your list.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:52 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you ever go to fun flies you will need your own water based fire extinguisher. AMA "rules" require both a BC and water based extinguisher at the field.The host club may or may not have it available. I have been to a number of fun flies that the host club did not have water based available.

Another item is an exhaust deflector to save the grass if you are at a field that does not have it.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:40 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

#1 priority is an esky full of beer to last the weekend -
Old 12-04-2023, 07:07 PM

And don’t forget, bring at least 3 friends to help you with the beer 😂😂
Old 12-05-2023, 03:14 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
Great thread. Regarding the blower, I don't think you need it at all. All modern turbine cool off automatically even with the receiver turned off.
I recommend getting a blower. I've seen several put out a small plane fire before it got big enough to need a fire extinguisher. Also it saves a lot of wear and tear on the starter motor during cool down.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved into the turbines this year and I'm still learning also. I just heard about the funnels that remove the water from your fuel will you fill up at the pump. I'm going to get one it seems like a good idea.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:10 PM

Mr:Funnel or one like it from ACE hardware for a lot less.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by CARS II; 12-07-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:34 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by joeflyer
I recommend getting a blower. I've seen several put out a small plane fire before it got big enough to need a fire extinguisher. Also it saves a lot of wear and tear on the starter motor during cool down.
Get a blower for getting rid of grass in the fuse, dust, and FOD. Using it to put out a fire has a good chance of accelerating the fire, not putting it out. Seen it many times, most recently at Georgia Jets earlier this year.
Tone
Old 12-07-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't forget some basic tools. Screw driver, pliers, hex wrench. Add some connector safety clips, tape and wire ties.

Last edited by A. J. Clark; 12-07-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:03 AM

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

CO2 Fire extinguisher and as for the blower, I recommend a batter powered fan with some aluminum ducting attached so you can sit it as the rear turkey feathers and pull the heat. A blower doesnt work all that well because the hot section is in the rear as well as the temp sensor. So pulling the hot air out the rear is much more affective, because the compressor inlet is rather small and doesnt flow there the only air thats going through the motor is what the compressor is pulling wit the starter is spinning for cool down.
Boomerang1 (12-07-2023)