Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel bags

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 05:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Fuel bags

If you're in the US or coming to the US and flying under AMA rules/insurance, the fuel bag situation is resolved and they are now approved for use.

Here's the relevant change to 501-A
510-A.pdf

5. The fuel tanks shall be of rigid construction with consideration given to burst and puncture resistance. Consideration shall be given that non-metallic fuel lines may not be able to contact hot parts of the engine as installed. Bag style fuel cells are permitted under the following conditions:

a. is a multi-layer fuel cell that is purpose built for the application and designed to be resistant to rips, tears, hardening and cracking from kerosene/jet fuel exposure.

b. is mounted in such a way as to ensure no contact with rough surfaces capable of causing abrasion between the tank and any aircraft surface.

c. is mounted away from or protected from heat exposure from the engine(s) and pipe(s).

d. is filled with a pressure sensing fueling system to ensure the cell isn't over pressurized during fueling.

e. NO plasma/IV bags are permitted.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 02-09-2024 at 05:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BarracudaHockey:
AEROSHELDON (02-09-2024), CobraJet (02-10-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 06:12 PM
qcsteve

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad they are updating the rules. Not familiar with fuel bags. Is a uat needed with a fuel bag?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:40 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the hard work Cuda!!
Old 02-09-2024, 06:57 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by qcsteve
Glad they are updating the rules. Not familiar with fuel bags. Is a uat needed with a fuel bag?
No, used properly they are completely bubble free.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:17 AM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

https://www.fuelbag.de/

Use google translate and you can get information and ideas.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2024, 08:05 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Which fueling system is allowed? I think jetcat fuel pump senses pressure but not sure. Plus it is always out of stock it seems.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:25 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
If you're in the US or coming to the US and flying under AMA rules/insurance, the fuel bag situation is resolved and they are now approved for use.

Here's the relevant change to 501-A
Attachment 2273862

5. The fuel tanks shall be of rigid construction with consideration given to burst and puncture resistance. Consideration shall be given that non-metallic fuel lines may not be able to contact hot parts of the engine as installed. Bag style fuel cells are permitted under the following conditions:

a. is a multi-layer fuel cell that is purpose built for the application and designed to be resistant to rips, tears, hardening and cracking from kerosene/jet fuel exposure.

b. is mounted in such a way as to ensure no contact with rough surfaces capable of causing abrasion between the tank and any aircraft surface.

c. is mounted away from or protected from heat exposure from the engine(s) and pipe(s).

d. is filled with a pressure sensing fueling system to ensure the cell isn't over pressurized during fueling.

e. NO plasma/IV bags are permitted.
I am not a jet person so I may be off base here, but doesn't subparagraph a. above describe a non-rigid fuel tank which goes against paragraph 5?
Old 02-10-2024, 10:11 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not a jet person so I may be off base here, but doesn't subparagraph a. above describe a non-rigid fuel tank which goes against paragraph 5?
paragraph 5 reads:
​​​​​​​5. The fuel tanks shall be of rigid construction with consideration given to burst and puncture resistance. Consideration shall be given that non-metallic fuel lines may not be able to contact hot parts of the engine as installed. Bag style fuel cells are permitted under the following conditions:
Old 02-10-2024, 01:54 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Well that took a while but glad it's done.
The following users liked this post:
CobraJet (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 02:56 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

probably not an overly bad idea to have a UAT anyway,

just in case there is a suction leak somewhere in the system, pulling air you don't know about, until it is already too late.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:58 PM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! Can't believe it took AMA this many years to approve the fuel bags!
Old 02-15-2024, 06:08 AM
enricoSu30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, you do not need a uat, just the fuelbag
The following users liked this post:
GULDUKAT (02-16-2024)