Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bladder tanks.. where to find them?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bladder tanks.. where to find them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 12:16 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bladder tanks.. where to find them?

Now that we can use bladder tanks where can we buy them?
Old 03-29-2024, 02:08 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

You can get http://www.hobbyexclusiv.de/ to ship to you and also CM Jets will ship them. I think there is another guy that Aeropanda was using as well but I don't know his name.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:52 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Herbert Theil is the guy In Austria and very responsive he is on Facebook. VSpeak sell the Autofiller which works for both fuel bags and Fuel Tanks be sure to order the over flow line.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:54 AM
Bob_B

1.5 liter tank installed in my Mini Ares

The following users liked this post:
Ken Bryant (Today)
Old 04-01-2024, 09:59 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

How do bladder tanks work? Are they vented? Or do you fill a completely collapsed bladder? Is the fuel under pressure?
Old 04-01-2024, 10:57 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
How do bladder tanks work? Are they vented? Or do you fill a completely collapsed bladder? Is the fuel under pressure?

As you can see from Bob's pictures, bag-tanks (aka fuel bags, bladder tanks, etc.) are collapsible, soft bags that can hold fuel. When they are empty, they are completely collapsed with no air in them. As fuel is added, they regain their shape. They don't "expand" per se as the materials that they are made from do not "stretch." This means that the fuel is NOT under pressure. If it were, then the turbine software would have to be modified to account for the higher fuel flow per a given pump voltage because of the pressure, so that is not how the bag tanks work. As the fuel is drawn out of them by the fuel pump, the tank collapses again until it is completely empty of fuel.

Their main benefit is that, since they are fueled with no air in the system, no UAT or header tank is needed and virtually all of the fuel in the tank is usable and can be drawn out in any aircraft orientation - i.e., the fuel pickup is ALWAYS in the fuel." Also, because no UAT is needed, they can be lighter than an equivalent hard tank system.

Their downsides include the fact that they have to be specially mounted so that they can expand to their full shape when full, and so that they do not touch any part of the airframe besides the mounting rods (see Bob's pictures). In addition, they can be more expensive than hard tanks and they need a special fueling system to make sure that all of the air is out of the tank when its full. Also, they generally need to be mounted in front of the turbine to keep them away from heat, and in an area where they can be seen, to verify that there is no air in the tank once it is full.

They are really only appropriate for specific types of jet that can best utilize their advantages - meaning acrobatic/3D jets or multi-engine jets.

Bob Klenke
JPO President

Last edited by rhklenke; 04-01-2024 at 11:04 AM.
AEROSHELDON (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:21 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Also since there's no air in the tank there's very VERY little chance of flaming out because of air getting into the turbine.

And, while not fool proof, they also tend to fare better in crashes than kevlar or glass hard tanks.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Bob_B

In addition to what Bob Klenke posted the model weighs over 1/2 lb lighter when empty. .5L of fuel weighs 400 grams so my T/O weight is 1.6 lbs less.
As posted a pressure sensing fueler is used. This same fueler fill hard tanks too.
It does require a hand data terminal for programming and read out. I use a Xicoy unit.

Last edited by Bob_B; 04-01-2024 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:15 AM
Bob_B

I neglected to say the fuel bag I installed in my Ares is made by a company you can find online.
www.fuelbag.de
The owner Jens developed the fuel bag in cooperation with the Elster jet team. I have seen these pilots fly at Joe Nall. I understand Jen’s will be with them this year.
If you’re considering fuel bag, I highly suggest you visit his website he has a lot of information.
Dansy (04-04-2024)
Old Today, 12:10 PM
jlorenco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wish to convert my Krill Mini Ares to the fuel bag. I contacted Jens at fuelbag.de and he is on the road and will not be back until June.

My hard tank is from CMJets and they have fuel bags also. Does anyone have any experience with their bags?
Old Today, 12:52 PM
Bob_B

Cm jets tank is 2L which is bigger than you might need. I have experience with Jens tank and it works great! I would be curious to know which dimension cmjets adds the extra .5L What motor do you have in your Ares?
Jens will be at Joe Nall in May.
Old Today, 01:12 PM
Bob_B

…..

Last edited by Bob_B; Today at 01:28 PM.
Old Today, 01:24 PM
jlorenco

I need a larger tank because I'm running a large turbine with thrust vector (Xicoy X85). The hard tank in it now is a 2L with integrated UAT, so there should be room for a 2L bag. Although, I'm not comfortable using the last 1/4 of the tank doing TV aerobatics with the clunk setup in it now, so I carry around dead fuel weight. With a bag I could likely go smaller and use more of the fuel since I have fuel gage telemetry. Weight is everything with these small jets so trying to reduce every gram I can.

Jens isn't making any new bags until he returns in June. I could wait, but want to explore other options to see if I can get something sooner.
Old Today, 01:25 PM
jlorenco

Deleted

Last edited by jlorenco; Today at 02:08 PM.
Old Today, 02:18 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Herbert Theil if you are on Face---Book makes totally custom sizes. They come with the rods too but are pricey.

These guys also have smaller tanks like 1 and 1.5L https://www.hobbyexclusiv.de/epages/...37/Beuteltanks
Old Today, 02:27 PM
jlorenco

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Herbert Theil if you are on Face---Book makes totally custom sizes. They come with the rods too but are pricey.

These guys also have smaller tanks like 1 and 1.5L https://www.hobbyexclusiv.de/epages/...37/Beuteltanks
Thank you for the information and link.