Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

a first with e-bay seller

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

a first with e-bay seller

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:02 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a first with e-bay seller

2 weeks ago, many of you might have seen the byrons f-16 for sale on e bay, i played the bidding game and won !!!!, with in 2 minutes of auction end, i contacted seller and asked for total cost of aircraft and shipping, final bid was on saturday, told seller i would have postal money order out first thing monday morning, he e mail me sunday nite told me package has already been shipped and went on to give me the tracking number, now keep in mind, i havent even sent the money order out yet. well a week goes by, i recieved the package and it was every bit of what was listed on e bay.

if every seller was like the person i delt with, we would never have any doubts in our minds as to worry about getting taken for a ride or not,

anyway

mike knapp / "aka" elknapp1 on e -bay
it was great doing bussiness with you

have a great New Year

mark mccracken
Pa Fun Flyers
Old 12-29-2003, 07:10 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: a first with e-bay seller

Wow,
I started reading that thinking, I know where this is going, you got hooped, I'm glad to hear it went the way you told! that's great, I've only been stung twice, but it leaves a more bitter taste every time.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:13 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is nice to see some people still trust people in this world!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:44 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I've had many experiences like that on e-bay, and never been burned yet. I think we all hear of the bad deals, but rarely any of the smooth deals. The only issue I had at all was once I sold a 35mm camera lens, and the buyer complained that it wasn't as described, had a scratch, very dirty, etc. He wanted me to knock $75 off the price. Instead I offered to refund his money, but he said he was afraid that I would keep the money and not ship the lens. I told him that I would refund him the money and when he gets it, he can then send the lens to me. He said he wanted the lens, but didn't feel it was worth the price he paid, and wanted me to reduce the price. I told him I wouldn't refund the price, but would gladly refund all his money including all shipping if he wasn't happy, and told him to keep it for a few weeks and try the lens. If he didn't want it, tell me and I'd issue a pay pal refund, and when he verified the refund he could then ship the lens back to me. In the end he kept it, and I truly believe he was just trying to better the deal. Other than this, and over many transactions, they have all been very smooth for both parties.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:58 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have literally sold and bought roughly $30K worth of RC stuff and furniture on Ebay. Most I've been burned for was about $300.00 when I sent an item before a check cleared. Tough lesson, but I learned it and never felt bad as considered myself lucky in the other transactions that went so right.

As my needs in this hobby have become more specific to jets, less and less of what's available at ebay catches my eye.

There was a time however where I spent hours a day combing through, I probably touched and read 1,000 ebay items a week and my first two months in the hobby I was buying an average of 2 to 3 airplanes a week on ebay. There was a point that I had over 50 airplanes in my house (as a bachelor) and over 35 of them were add glow and fly. Thanks ebay [] It's addicting.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Yeah I sell alot on Ebay. Only one time I was burned on a $4k Movado watch I sold.
The buyer wanted overnight shipping if he used the buy it now feature, so I agreed.
Turns out he was using a stolen credit card and Paypal didn't let me know that until 48 hrs after the purchase.

I harrassed Paypal and contacted the FBI, eventually I got my money back.

Lesson learned, don't ship overnight, wait a few days to send.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:54 AM
sfaust

ORIGINAL: Shok
Turns out he was using a stolen credit card and Paypal didn't let me know that until 48 hrs after the purchase.
This is one of the reasons that I use a bank account specifically for pay pal, and keep the balance at near zero. I never let anything sit in either the pay pal or the bank account, and transfer money it in or out only when I need it. That way I am assured I have the money, and its not under the control or Pay Pal, or subject to withdraw on their part to cover a bad payment. They can argue with me over whether I should give up the money, but I'll never have to argue with them to get the money back.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:40 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: sfaust

ORIGINAL: Shok
This is one of the reasons that I use a bank account specifically for pay pal, and keep the balance at near zero. I never let anything sit in either the pay pal or the bank account, and transfer money it in or out only when I need it. That way I am assured I have the money, and its not under the control or Pay Pal, or subject to withdraw on their part to cover a bad payment. They can argue with me over whether I should give up the money, but I'll never have to argue with them to get the money back.

That doesn't work either though as I am dealing with a situation similar right now. I had transfered my paypal account into a specific bank account, and then transfered out of that bank account. Paypal then reversed 2 transactions from one person that were over 2 weeks old!! they put a negative balance into my paypal account which just got paid out as more payments were made. Their so called seller protection is a joke as they didn't help me one bit, not even so much as to give me their contact information on the accounts that were reversed.

Funny part is, I still have the dumbass's guitar, it was sent to me after he paid for the custom work, only thing I hate worse than a scammer is a stupid scammer.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:24 PM
sfaust

It does indeed work. Your mistake was that you put money back in the account by accepting new payments. If you see a negative balance, don't use that PayPal account for future transactions and they will have nothing to deduct from, and they can not deduct from your other accounts. If you do use the account, then you risk loosing the funds under those circumstances and will need to fight to get it back, which you eventually will. But, if you stop using the account, and they have nothing to deduct from, that leaves PayPal and the credit card company fighting it out over who will absorb the loss. Once everything is squared away, you can use the account again. Either way, you have control as the money is safe in your account, and you are not arguing with them over it while they are sitting on your money.