Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ferrari Trademark !!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ferrari Trademark !!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 11:13 PM
proluck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari Trademark !!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!

Folks,

Just a friendly reminder:

Ferrari is fully registered TM in the US. Ferrari's trade mark - with its Prancing Horse emblem - is one of the most immediately recognisable the world over. Ferrari strictly limits its use and only a few, very select companies have been granted a license to use it.

Tamjets is not par of the list of those select.

Thanks,

Rob Ashvil

P.S. Tam, You were given specific directions not to distribute the pictures before it was approved by the folks at Ferrari.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:35 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

So who are you???? The Ferarri trademark police?? Get a grip dude!
Old 06-09-2002, 11:43 PM
PR38

I don't think there is any problem if someone uses it as a hobby. He isn't trying to make money from the logo, he just thinks its cool. If another business thinks its cool and uses it, thats a whole different story.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:09 AM
Turbinator-inactive

Default Ferrari

Yeah right,

I am sure that Ferrari is going to sue Tam for painting his HotSpot in their colors.

Tam, don't buy that new house yet :-) Ferrari owns your ass now.

You have done irreparable damage to the Ferrari image. i'd say bout' a million would be fair compensation.

TROL TROL TROL TROL TROL
Old 06-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default You are a nut.

You are a nut . talk about getting something out of context. And who is that Bald guy in the pic lol.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:19 AM
ultra viper

ok guys,
From now on only sport paint schemes on your scale birds unless you "get select permission" from Mcdonnell Douglas, Boeing, Lockheed, Rockwell, General Dynamics etc....etc....etc.
I wouldnt want to put up any unfair competition to General Dynamics with my Byron F-16.
Good tip Rob, I am headed to the paint booth right now.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:22 AM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

"as Ferruccio Lamborghini turned to cars. He ran a succession of high-performance cars, and seemingly felt that they all lacked refinement. However, legend has it that the idea came to him after a discussion with Enzo Ferrari, when Ferruccio complained about the noisy gearbox in his new Ferrari. It seems that Ferrari’s reply was simply "You stick to tractors and let me build sports cars.", and that was the point when he decided to build a better car… Lamborghini "

need i say more

rock on tam

johnny
Old 06-10-2002, 02:33 AM
sandslx

Default Trade Mark.

Guess I wont be able to paint my Bobcat in Blue Angels...I'll just go back to having the White with red splash paint job..sponsored by TAMPAX...Who's me...........At least they pay me for advertising.

Justin Sands
Old 06-10-2002, 02:43 AM
aparchment

Default trying to remember

Any of you guys patent/trademark/copyright lawyers? I am trying to think back to the little work I did in this area, and my memory may not serve me well, but here goes. There is a "fair use" exemption to using copyrighted material as I recall. Does this extend to trademarked material? I don't recall the criteria to qualify for the fair use exemption, but I think the gist of the matter was if your use is substantially different from the use for which the copyright was granted and if it substantially changes the nature of the trademarked material then you may use the copyrighted material.

Anyone want to put me on the right track here?

Antony
Old 06-10-2002, 03:06 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default WOW, the more things change, the more they stay the same

TWENTY YEARS AGO I built a craft super fly and painted it ferrari red and decked it out much the same as tam did, and was stunned at the responce, I simply could not believe how mad or upset they got over a paint job, well, enzo never sued or even called, so twenty years later, the same responce, crazy, just crazy

tam,

go for it babe, looks great
Old 06-10-2002, 03:22 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: Ferrari Trademark !!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!

Originally posted by proluck
Folks,

Just a friendly reminder:

Ferrari is fully registered TM in the US. Ferrari's trade mark - with its Prancing Horse emblem - is one of the most immediately recognisable the world over. Ferrari strictly limits its use and only a few, very select companies have been granted a license to use it.

Tamjets is not par of the list of those select.

Thanks,

Rob Ashvil

P.S. Tam, You were given specific directions not to distribute the pictures before it was approved by the folks at Ferrari.
Sorry Rob,
I'm not selling Ferrari Car or making copy Ferrari car. I'm doing as an Art of Hobby. You think I have to ask them permission to show my work.
That is BS. No one can own me or tell me what to do.
I bet you if the Ferrari company see the flying model painted in their color scheme. Their would be really happy to shake your hand.
You see what I'm try to do here. I'm proud of my work. I would like to share with friends in this hobby and try my best to come with new idea for future use. If you thinks this Ferrari logo go to hurt someone in this hobby or do some kind of damage. I wouldn't post it.
You need to relax Rob. You are buying the HotSpot to enjoy. Now forget all about this and go out have the first ride with your new Hot Ferrari.
I'm making sense.

Tam
Old 06-10-2002, 06:55 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Tam,do yourself a favor and put "Tamjets" on it rather than advertise, for free, for the italian car that barely goes as fast as the Hotspot for only $80k+
Can we all get along please
Old 06-10-2002, 12:57 PM
JET FX

Default Ferrari paint!

I can just hear Judge Joe Brown now.......Ya gotta larf!
Old 06-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

I think it looks GREAT!

But, there are a few points to ponder. Proluck does have a point. The use of a trademarked logo for a one-time, personal use item is generally over-looked by the coporate sharks. Although, I have seen companies smaller than Ferrari go "Nuts" over a one time use. It depends on the company who owns the trademark and their licensing watchdogs.

Based on experience, Tam should be okay with the one-time personal use on his jet. But... If Tam decided to paint many jets, for customers, for monetary compensation... using the Ferrari Logo, then the watchdogs may or may not sit-up and take notice.

I deal with this issue on a regular basis in the R/C Hobby industry and I can say with all certainty that companies like Boeing, Lockheed, Piper, Cessna do get paid a hefty fee for the use of their logos and aircraft names on boxes, etc. Believe it or not, even the shape of the aircraft can be trademarked as a recognizable entity (P-38)!

Many companies now-a-days use an exclusive marketing firm to distribute licensing agreements and believe me... They have staff whose job is to seek-out and confirm unlicensed use of names and trademarks! They literally sit at desks and look thorough magazines, web pages, etc. It's a very lucritive business that's taken very seriously!

My .02

Craig

Hobby Industry Professional
Old 06-10-2002, 01:18 PM
sthill

That's it... I was this close to buying that new Ferrari, but after hearing this guy I think I'll just buy a Saturn...
Old 06-10-2002, 02:42 PM
col_tomb
My Feedback: (9)

Default Better than Ferrari

hi Tam,
Please make me one like that, put a big stud on that horse and spell "Forrari" YES...."FORRARI" . Build me one quick and I want to fly it at our jet meet. By the way Tam, forget about that Ferrari, lets buy a FORD! Mustang?
Old 06-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default WHATS NEXT ????

I have a couple of friends , Both happen to be on the carden site,how do i tell Joey Harrington & especialy Bert Sutton they have to re-finish there planes and cannot use the old glory, star's & stripes on them as thousand's do these day's, because of the chance and or repercussion's if they crash it into the ground, and heaven forbid accidentally catch fire and burn our symbol of justice & freedom. GET REAL proluck, your the type of guy that would get caught in a bank stealing pen's
Old 06-10-2002, 04:23 PM
proluck

Default To all...

Folks,

All I did is state the facts... I did not offend anybody by doing so...

If you can not deal with truth do not blame me for it.

I contacted Ferrari team with a deal in early 02, and made an agreement which I do not have to discuss with you.

I also contacted Tam, Bob W., and Promark folks to make the project possible. You all saw the end result.

The idea was all mine and all the guys involved (Tam, Promark, Jetcat) did an excellent job and got paid for it.

I am not telling Tam not to do his business (I like him and job he did is great!!!). All I am telling him is not to copy what I did for a purpose, for his own benefit.

So you all know, this project is costing my company (not Hobby related) over few hundred $K's plus $6700 for RTF HotSpot, and I am not to let anybody to take an easy shot at it.

I will come back at anybody with everything I've got, who will try steal the "pen from my bank".

This is not a threat this is business and I mean it.

Thanks,

Rob Ashvil
Old 06-10-2002, 04:45 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Rob,

Maybe I missed something, but are you saying that if anyone paints a Jet in the Ferrari scheme, you will take action against them? If so, you had better outline every detail which you don't want duplicated. You don't want to run into problems with someone putting the logo in a different place or using a shade darker or lighter red. Which could be construed as a different design scheme.

Also, are you talking about just that particular jet or all jets in general. Or, for that matter, all planes? Or what about RC Cars?

Plus, at that point wouldn't you be representing Ferrari? I'm not sure Ferrari wants you fighting a fight for them.

Also, telling everyone here that,

" I will come back at anybody with everything I've got, who will try steal the "pen from my bank".", is most definitly a threat.

Pick your words very carefully. This is a public forum.

Mike
Old 06-10-2002, 05:12 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: To all...

Originally posted by proluck

This is not a threat this is business and I mean it.

So, you are serious about this?? It's business you say? Why then do you choose a modeling noteboard to have this discussion? If there's a legit business issue between you and Tam, why don't you take care of it in a businesslike manner? Call him, e-mail, etc.

If Tam was out-of-bounds to use that picture here( still a big IF), that's between you and him, and it's just as illegitimate to make a discussion that could hurt his business public, without first working it privately.

You are not making a good case here.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:12 PM
Mach1
My Feedback: (5)

Default Un-*$#%ing believable

You have got to be kidding me!!! This is the most insane post
I've ever seen!!! :drowning:

Michael Schumacher
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13882_230.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	8960  
Old 06-10-2002, 06:31 PM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

Obviously a plea for attention..
Old 06-10-2002, 07:14 PM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

Default Ferrari

A couple of thoughts on this subject.

First and formost the artwork on a model airplane is considered just that, ART.

Second: Trademarks are generally intended to protect the use of such for commerical purposes, not hobbies and non-commerical interest.

Third: The use of many trademarked items occur on a regular basis by many unathorized users. It's as common as the day is long. As long as it's not for commerical gain.

I do not believe Tam or any other modelers generally intrude on trademark or other registered logos, or other infringements by solely putting that art on a model airplane.

It's really pretty simple and because one individual does not like it, does not make it wrong.

"Get a life"

JB
Old 06-10-2002, 08:04 PM
DavidR

Hey Bozo...... I just painted a Hotspot just like it.......so sue me!!!!!!! You don't have a one of a kind airplane anymore.
Anyone else want one painted like that? Get a life!
Old 06-10-2002, 08:28 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

FYI- direct from the trademark website.

§32 (15 U.S.C. §1114). Remedies; infringement; innocent infringers

(1) Any person who shall, without the consent of the registrant--

(a) use in commerce any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a registered mark in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive; or

(b) reproduce, counterfeit, copy or colorably imitate a registered mark and apply such reproduction, counterfeit, copy or colorable imitation to labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, receptacles or advertisements intended to be used in commerce upon or in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive....

Key word here being "decieve". If he was to tell people that this was a Ferrari sponsered plane, he might have an issue. Other than that, paint away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.