Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help needed - F18 twin conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help needed - F18 twin conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:56 AM
Henry Chua
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed - F18 twin conversion

I have just acquired a Yellow Aircraft F-18 twin (one piece polyester fuselage) which I intend to convert it to a single turbine configuration. Appreciate if anyone can advise me on the following:

1. Reinforcement of fuselage - which epoxy to use for laying carbon cloth, as zap finishing resin epoxy doesn't adhere to polyester very well?

2. Where can i buy the necessary wood for the single turbine conversion? I have read the various threads in RCU but there were no mention of the wood for engine mount, tailpipe, inlet etc.

3. Any manual available for the turbine conversion?

4. Any other things to look out for during conversion.

This F18 is intended for either the Jetcat P160 or JF 120-Eagle.

Appreciate all your help and inputs.

Henry
Old 03-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Henry Chua

Default RE: Help needed - F18 twin conversion

Please help me with my queries as I'm sure quite sure a number of flyers in the US have done the conversion of this big F18. Really appreciate your help and assistance.

Henry
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 PM
jorge*jet
My Feedback: (6)

Henry,
1. Most important area to strengthen is middle part of the fuselage around the wing. Double up both spars that hold the wing from a single 1/4" ply to two 1/4" pieces. Use glue that is compatible with polyester. Add carbon fiber around the retract mount area and sides of fuse between the spars, creating a strong box.
2. You can get the kevlar tanks from Gary Mueller at Jettech, highly recommended.
3. P160 is a great choice with a Tam pipe specially made for the 18 with or without a bypass. Several of us in South Florida use a bypass.
4. When balanced we add about 5oz more in the nose of the fuselage. Landings are more stable (less oscilation with the elevator).
Good luck with your project,
Jorge
Old 03-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Henry Chua

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the advise on strengthening the fuselage. Will be using carbon cloth (6 oz) from Art's Hooby to form the box as you've mentioned inorder to strengthen the main fuselage area where the retracts and engine is located.

Where can I buy the wood for single engine conversion or do I have to figure out myself the necessary mods?

Thanks again.

Henry
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 AM
jorge*jet
My Feedback: (6)

Henry,
You either double up the formers you have or call Charles at Yellow aircraft and see if he can sell you the fuse wing formers, ask for two sets.
Jorge
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Henry Chua

Thanks Jorge, will get the stuff from YA. Have also got a picture from RCU regarding the single engine mounting.

Appreciate your help and assistance.

Best regards
Henry