Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BobCat Aileron Construction?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BobCat Aileron Construction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 10:52 PM
TScott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BobCat Aileron Construction?

I just started building the ailerons on my BobCat XL today and ran into a little snag.

I layed the top skin that is etched with laser marking on my building surface and started to add the first 9 ribs to it. Rib #10 is the first rib in the outboard section that is eventually removed from the rest of the aileron and added to the wing as a trailing edge.

Rib # 10 and rib # 9 are quite different in chord dimensions and are only separated by about 1/32 of an inch. How are you supposed to sheet the aileron with this difference in chord between #9 & #10.

Should the outboard section be separated and built by itself?

Also, the ribs in the outboard section are longer than the sheeting?

So far it's been a great kit to build.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:58 PM
sleonard

About half of the ribs for the ailerons are wrong.
You just have to make new ones.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:32 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Not True!!

The ribs are all correct sizes but do not go in order. If I remember correctly, ribs 8 and 9 get swaped. Check out my Bobcat building review at www.lov2flyrc.com you will find the entire aileron building sequence there. I did not have to replace ANY of the ribs. Check the sizes of the ribs as you place them, dont follow the numbered order.

Todd
Old 06-17-2002, 12:14 AM
TScott

Thanks for your help Lov2flyrc. I checked out your website. That's a nice review you have going.

I compared ribs 8 and 9. They probably should have been reversed like you said. But once you get to rib 10 which is the first rib of the outboard section I still don't understand how to make this work. The height difference between 9 and 10 is a 1/16th of an inch.

All of my ribs in the outboard section are also to long and overhang the sheeting.

How are you supposed to apply the bottom sheeting when these two ribs are different heights (1/16th of an inch) and are virtually side by side?
Old 06-17-2002, 01:28 AM
rjpilot
My Feedback: (5)

I just built a Bobcat xl and had a similar alignment problem, however I added about a 1/16 strip to the top of the last rib in the aileron section, and then used a 30 inch long sanding bar to level all the ribs, and even get a slight bevel in the ply trailing edge.
This worked out fine.
I did replace the two ribs that the control horn mounts between with 1/8 in. aircraft ply.
I am sure the balsa is OK, however just my preferance.
Ron Jahnig