Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Jet Hangar Hobbies F-4 Phantom II >

Jet Hangar Hobbies F-4 Phantom II

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Hangar Hobbies F-4 Phantom II

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 12:35 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Hangar Hobbies F-4 Phantom II

I was thinking about purchasing this kit for a 17lb turbine. Anyone have any feedback on this model?? Tips?? Thanks Roger
Old 03-27-2004, 07:36 AM
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: Jet Hangar Hobbies F-4 Phantom II

I have never built one, but they are about the same size as the Y/A Phantom. I think a 17lb turbine would be too much for the airframe. These fly pretty fast on OS 91's.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:40 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I'm sure if you call them up and speak to Larry, he will tell you what size turbine is good for the F-4. I'm thinking he might suggest the Wren 54 with 14lbs of thrust would be a good combination.

JR
Old 03-27-2004, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I am building one right now and I am considering the Wren 54 as I dont feelthe 44 would have enough. Depending on how you build I have to agree that the airframe wouldnt handle the larger turbine. Thus far the build has been straight foreward and has been an enjoyable build. I am planning on posting some pics when I get back from my business trip next week. If you decide to go ahead with it good luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:55 PM

Ok, So any suggestions on a more appropriately sized F-4. I found a couple off shore but I would rather get one from a dealer in North America.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:03 PM

Just FYI I live and fly at altitude so the power of the rated 17lb turbine will not be 17lb. I am thinking more like 14/15 lb. Maybe my estimation is off.Roger
Old 03-27-2004, 08:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.centuryjet.com/

try this out and see what you think.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 PM
My Feedback: (32)

i fly a george miller f4 on byron fan here and it would be a better choice for the p80, you just have to seek them out.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:21 PM

I like the look of the Century F-4 but the weight is a bit much. I would like to keep the all up weight to under 20lbs.

b17flyer, Do you have a web site for the George Miller Kits? what exactly do you mean by seek them out?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:59 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

George Miller (Aka Custom R/C Aircraft) has been out of business for some time. John Craig ( Craig Aviation) bought out the Miller kit line. Then he bought Byron Originals and changed the name to Iron Bay. I don't know if he is producing the F-4 kit at this time but you can give him a call. I built 4 of the Miller F-4s and 2 of his T-38s and they flew well. All were ducted fan powered. Check my gallery for Miller F-4 pic.

A friend of mine flew a JHH F-4 on a Dynamax fan and Rossi .65 for a couple of years and it flew good also.

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/index.html
Old 03-28-2004, 10:30 PM

Gary, How do you like your Facet?
Old 03-28-2004, 10:59 PM

I finished it today and I have not flown it yet. I think it will be a great choice for my 700' grass club field (at sea level). I have flown a EuroSport at the same field but I'm not sure I want to fly it there a lot. The Facet builds nice, Kerry's plans and instructions are well done. I wish I had gone out and bought some more large wood clamps. The fuse sides are 1/16" ply and 1/16" balsa laminated together and there is a considerable curve to the fuse side. I had a little bit of trouble pulling the fuse sides in to glue to the formers. But all in all, I am happy with the way it turned out and I'm looking forward to flying it, hopefully this week.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:50 AM
My Feedback: (32)

with the byron fan and os 91 my George miller weighed 13.5 lbs.
so it would be east to stay under 20 lbs with the p80 classes. the kits come up on rcu now and again. And i like the way it flys. It would be easy to modify to turbine and maybe later i 'll seek one out for turbine. I have to finish a t38 for p80 power first. just been mocking me sitting there.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:42 AM

My twin Dynamax / OS.77 Miller F-4 weighed in at 21.5# dry and flew just as good as the lighter ones. It was much faster and had almost unlimited vertical from level flight, unlike the real F-4. I have heard that the Blue Angels F-4s at the top of the big loop were only doing about 100kts. It had full gear doors and the JMP F-4 MK20 landing gear and struts in it.

The only thing that would scare me about a turbine powered Miller would be the stabilator mechanism. I would change out to something better and use a very good servo. A friend of mine lost a twin OS.91 Miller F-4 when the elevator servo just wasn't strong enough. We both used the stab mechanism out of the larger JMP F-4 in our twins.

How about a Miller sized F-4 with twin MW44s? Just dreaming............

Also....back to the JHH F-4....
There are a couple of guys here in Houston that have flown YA F-4s with AMT Mercurys in them. The YA F-4 is basically the same size as the JHH and the Mercury is heavier than a KJ66 based turbine. No reason why the JHH wouldn't work on 17#.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:59 PM

Well I was informed about the Yellow Aircraft F-4. The kit price is right for me, and it looks like they offer a turbine conversion kit for it. It should come in at about the weight I am looking for. The person that told me about the YA kit said that they are of better quality than the JHH kit. Not having built either I don't know if this is fact or not. I would suspect that with either kit I will have to overbuild in areas as it was designed as a DF airframe.

Is there a formula for calculating thrust losses with altitude? Is there an easy way to check what your output thrust is? I know the way we used to check it on the DF's but I would be a little leery of the "scale" method with a turbine.